Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
It is you who needs to reread, as apparently you have problems with text that has a Flesch–Kincaid index over 12.

You are unable to understand when I am shredding your arguments with implied text between the lines, in essence having a conversation with you is somewhat akin to having a conversation with a tree stump.

You don't seem to even realize the implications of "means that the cells are in every measurable way identical to new" which, in the case of battery cells means that they ARE new (there is no such thing as used cells with identical operating characteristics to new cells).
Keith, read the manual that came with your Bolt. It says this.....and in all fairness maybe you missed this from my previous post that you are shredding;

"If warranty repair requires replacement, the high voltage battery may be replaced with either a new or factory refurbished high voltage battery with an energy capacity (kWh storage) level at or within approximately 10% of that of the original battery at the time of warranty repair."

There are no implications that the battery in a replacement is new. That is where you are wrong. They are not necessarily new. In fact, as the manual states, they might be refurbished. And if so, not perfectly new, as they may be within 10% of the original battery AT THE TIME of warranty repair. You seem to not understand, or you missed that they are putting refurbished batteries at their discretion into the Bolts under service. I'm ok with it, it's been a practice with all manufacturers since before I was born. You reply to people here, in many cases before reading their entire post as you did here.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Update: I ran the new battery waaaay down. With 13 miles on the GOM, it suddenly went to "Low" and "warning" and "reduced propulsion". Then, after another mile or so, "Low" started flashing. I began to get worried, but made it home. Then I left the A/C running for another half hour watching the kWh consumption meter tick up. I didn't push it all the way to zero, but stopped when it reached a respectable 59.5 kWh.

After charging overnight I was pleased to see the GOM at 240, comparable to before the battery replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Update: I ran the new battery waaaay down. With 13 miles on the GOM, it suddenly went to "Low" and "warning" and "reduced propulsion". Then, after another mile or so, "Low" started flashing. I began to get worried, but made it home. Then I left the A/C running for another half hour watching the kWh consumption meter tick up. I didn't push it all the way to zero, but stopped when it reached a respectable 59.5 kWh.
I think we need to be continually reminding people that batteries don't store miles, they store kWh. The GoM is entirely an estimate of efficiency, and is useless for measuring actual battery capacity. Driving to empty and looking at kWh consumed is about the only legitimate test we can do. Anyone who complains about the value on the GoM should immediately be questioned on their average efficiency or kWh consumed.

Glad to see that a real test of kWh has shown that your battery is good, Curt. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just had the "Service High Voltage Charging System" issue. I too had a battery module replaced (mine is an early 2017 Bolt, 23,000 miles). Late fall of 2019 the reported range dropped precipitously, to a max of 175 miles under ideal conditions. I took it in to the shop just before the holidays and they diagnosed a bad module, which was ordered and replaced. After it had been home about a week, the charging message came up. Took it in, they diagnosed very quickly. Here's what they said:

FOUND CODES P1E00, P1FFE, P1FFF. FOUND HYBRID/EV BATTERY PACK COOLANT LOW. FOLLOWED DIAG DOC ID 4516660 AND FOUND NO LEAKS FROM DRAIN OR ANY HOSES, CLAMPS, SURGE TANK. PRESSURE TEST BATTERY PACK COOLANT SYSTEM AND FOUND NO LEAKS. VAC AND FILL BATTERY PACK COOLANT SYSTEM AND PERFORMED REPAIR VERIFICATION AND ROAD TESTING. OK.

They kept it overnight, but this was a quick fix.

Seems to be working fine, now showing GOM and evidence (watching miles traveled and kWh consumed, and remaining capacity) of range of 240-250. Back to how it was when new.

Now, why was the coolant low? Should they have checked when they installed the module? Is GM shipping out replacement modules without checking coolant levels? Is the coolant loop a module-by-module thing? Seems like it must be, with this one that was low.

But I'm back in business and all is well.

-Joel

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Now, why was the coolant low? Should they have checked when they installed the module? Is GM shipping out replacement modules without checking coolant levels? Is the coolant loop a module-by-module thing? Seems like it must be, with this one that was low.
They drain the coolant to work on the battery. The batteries are not shipped with coolant in them. Looks like they messed up at the dealer on the vacuum fill procedure when reinstalling the battery after replacing the module.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not surprised if the dealership didn't manage the coolant process correctly, they are learning about Bolts. Mine is the only one that they have ever worked on ;-) but they do have a Bolt-trained tech...

Now they know!

-Joel

41 - 49 of 49 Posts