Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get a copy of the Service Manual for the Bolt? Is that floating around the forum?
Thanks,
Manny

·
Registered
979 Posts
Looks like it isn’t available yet. Helm doesn’t show a Bolt EV service manual. Just the Bolt EV glovebox stuff.

Although Helm does show a Volt (with a V) service manual available.

One for Bolt EV might be available in a year or two?

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
You won't find the Bolt service manual free online anytime soon. Eventually yes. I'm sure you can order one from GM, but it will be very pricey. They always are. However if you intend to do all your own work, they are worth every penny. Any work on the Bolt is pretty much GM's problem for the first 3 years, so I won't be looking for the manual until about 2020.

·
Registered
734 Posts
You won't find the Bolt service manual free online anytime soon. Eventually yes. I'm sure you can order one from GM, but it will be very pricey. They always are. However if you intend to do all your own work, they are worth every penny. Any work on the Bolt is pretty much GM's problem for the first 3 years, so I won't be looking for the manual until about 2020.
Glad you understand their responsibility, I have been on a number of forums based around new vehicles and all too often you see owners into their 3rd, 6th, 8th month of ownership and trying to solve issues and fix things themselves - that's just not worth the time, effort and money.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To be honest (and with apologies for the thread necromancy) - to any GM folks who lurk here: Y'all really should sell these things. I understand that you don't want them getting pirated, and you don't want shade-tree mechanics playing with 3-phase 360V circuits, and you don't want crazy Uncle Charlie trying to see if he can rig his arc welder to run off the DCFC port 'in reverse'... but from everything I'm seeing (ref: that awesome GM-narrated Bolt overview interview) and the snippets I've seen posted from the service manuals, this thing is a piece of functional art and science all rolled into one.

Art which, if at all possible, should be appreciated deeply, tech manual in hand, from the comfort of one's armchair, adjacent to a nicely-chilled oat soda or barley pop.

Shut up and take my money!

·
Registered
328 Posts
(...)Art which, if at all possible, should be appreciated deeply, tech manual in hand, from the comfort of one's armchair, adjacent to a nicely-chilled oat soda or barley pop.(...)
If you are willing to do your reading on a tablet you can try theses:

https://www.repairprocedures.com/index.php
$10/Day. Ridiculous price beyond that. Great search, clickable links, wires, connectors and various items on diagrams, a pleasure to navigate and find information.

https://www.alldatadiy.com/
$30/Year. $50/5 Years. Coupons available (I paid $30 for 5 years). The exact same information that repairprocedures.com has but terrible search, no clickable links or anything. A pain in the ass the find information.

Great Tip: Search on repairprocedures.com is free and will return all results and will partially mask the documents themselves but you can read the actual location of the documents, that you can then pull from alldatadiy.com, as they have the same information structure.

Bonus:
https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web
Free. Input your VIN number, select a module (computer) see the current latest firmware available and the update log.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thank you, again. -Larry

(...)Art which, if at all possible, should be appreciated deeply, tech manual in hand, from the comfort of one's armchair, adjacent to a nicely-chilled oat soda or barley pop.(...)
If you are willing to do your reading on a tablet you can try theses:

https://www.repairprocedures.com/index.php
$10/Day. Ridiculous price beyond that. Great search, clickable links, wires, connectors and various items on diagrams, a pleasure to navigate and find information.

https://www.alldatadiy.com/
$30/Year. $50/5 Years. Coupons available (I paid $30 for 5 years). The exact same information that repairprocedures.com has but terrible search, no clickable links or anything. A pain in the ass the find information.

Great Tip: Search on repairprocedures.com is free and will return all results and will partially mask the documents themselves but you can read the actual location of the documents, that you can then pull from alldatadiy.com, as they have the same information structure.

Bonus:
https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web
Free. Input your VIN number, select a module (computer) see the current latest firmware available and the update log.

·
Registered
564 Posts
With gassers, I had no problem obtaining service manuals and doing most of my own work. I watched a mechanic (on video) disassemble the Bolt battery. A very delicate and involved procedure requiring specialized equipment. Think I'll let servicing be taken care of by the dealer. Luckily, little servicing is necessary anyway..

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you need something in particular I can try to copy and paste it here for you.

I bought the USB drive version, if its possible for me to do it I will get you the info you need.

The paper version was just way too much at 400.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
If you need something in particular I can try to copy and paste it here for you.

I bought the USB drive version, if its possible for me to do it I will get you the info you need.

At least you can get the manual. Tesla won't even sell you one at any price.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Thanks for offering this, be aware the files will probably be several hundred megabytes to several gigabytes in size so you won't be able to just E-Mail them. You'll need to use a file host that can hold a file that size for easy sharing, where you will send people a link to the file and then people can use the link to download the files from the file host. You might want to look at one of the more established torrent sites as torrents are a very efficient method for sharing of large files.

You may also need to image or package the files, if it's several hundred or more files you will want to put them in an archive that will combine them all into one easy to download file but also preserve the file structure. 7-Zip is a good archival tool if you don't have one.

Finally, be aware that GM may be looking for people who are sharing these files and may threaten legal action against anybody who does so, I've had it happen to me when I was hosting a torrent file (not even the actual file) for an image of the Mazda3 Service Manual. You might (probably) wish to limit sharing of the file/link to more personalized methods such as PM.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions about any of this.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Do you happen to have the GM part number -- for either the USB or paper version?

TIA.

·
Registered
786 Posts

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
I checked Helm, Inc, and found the Bolt EV page for all the manuals, owner and service:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=helm&Mfg=GMC&Make=CHV&Model=BOLT&Year=&Category=&Keyword=&Module=&selected_media=

The USB version is cheaper but requires to keep the flash drive installed. I prefer to buy a printed manual, as I have been buying for all the GM vehicles I have serviced since 1969.
Tell me again how simple EVs are? Four volumes, and $300. My 1993 Nissan Sentra E manual was one volume and cost about $20. I understood, and could have fixed any part of that car. It got 34 mpg for all of the 380K miles I drove it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks for offering this, be aware the files will probably be several hundred megabytes to several gigabytes in size so you won't be able to just E-Mail them. You'll need to use a file host that can hold a file that size for easy sharing, where you will send people a link to the file and then people can use the link to download the files from the file host. You might want to look at one of the more established torrent sites as torrents are a very efficient method for sharing of large files.

You may also need to image or package the files, if it's several hundred or more files you will want to put them in an archive that will combine them all into one easy to download file but also preserve the file structure. 7-Zip is a good archival tool if you don't have one.

Finally, be aware that GM may be looking for people who are sharing these files and may threaten legal action against anybody who does so, I've had it happen to me when I was hosting a torrent file (not even the actual file) for an image of the Mazda3 Service Manual. You might (probably) wish to limit sharing of the file/link to more personalized methods such as PM.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions about any of this.

I had no idea that I could be opening a can or worms offering to help, I'm not that technical where I can be doing these kind of computer actions.

All I had in mind is if I can look something up for someone who needed a little information then pass it on to them in a way that I haven't yet worked out.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
The USB version is cheaper but requires to keep the flash drive installed. I prefer to buy a printed manual, as I have been buying for all the GM vehicles I have serviced since 1969.
I hear you - but having the ability to search the electronic version is also very nice.

Edit: wow - I see the USB version is already out of stock...

1 - 20 of 72 Posts