Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a scare today when I started my Bolt and couldn't shift out of park. I got the "Service Vehicle Soon" light and noticed all my HVAC GUI controls were unlit (no orange dot in the upper left corner of each GUI button to indicate state). Touch screen appeared to respond to touches but I couldn't toggle any HVAC controls. Using the physical fan up/down buttons I could tell the fan was working and using the temperature knob I could increase the temperature until I felt heat come out of the vents. Damper buttons worked too and had LEDs indicating their toggled state. Fan speed GUI indicator was always "OFF" despite feeling/hearing the fans running at various fan speeds.

Turned car off, waited a few dozen seconds, then turned it on and I had the same issue. Made sure to turn off HVAC then turned off car for a full minute. This time, service engine light went away and I could shift out of park. My HVAC GUI controls were still not lit even though I could control and feel the HVAC heat. With the car running, I held down the "Next" and "Home" buttons to do a soft reset. The center console did the usual reboot and the DIC flashed white briefly. HVAC GUI controls appear to be working again, I can toggle RECIRC and ON GUI buttons with no issue.

Was able to turn on/off the car for 2 more times with no more issues so I continued with my day. Didn't think to stop by an auto parts store to ask for a read of any thrown codes and my dealer's service department isn't opened Sundays.

I'm going to bring it in tomorrow after work but should I bring it in sooner? Coincided with my first rock chip on the windshield on any car for the last couple of years. I am now throwing salt and rubbing rabbits' feet until my service visit.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I hate to be a pessimist, but I think a dealer is going to have limited success troubleshooting the infotainment on this car for a non-reproducible bug. In fact I think the dealer network is going to be of limited use in general for this type of stuff. If this thing was open source we could just send a stack trace and a gdb report back to the dev team. With any luck they at least have a system in place for the dealer to send log files back to the devs, although I think involving the end users a bit more would have been a better plan for at least the first model year or two. Literally a HID/GUI Button that says "Upload Bug Report" would be of about the same practical use as a dealer technician at this stage in the product cycle. (No old hat automaker/OEM would ever do this btw, it makes too much sense and they've been in meetings with lawyers and corporate stooges for too long, their brains have all been fried)

So far it seems like the GM/LG software stack is better than beta quality, but production ready seems like a stretch. I think the shorter development cycle just put the crunch on some of the unit testing that would normally be done; that or the bean counters got involved...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm more concerned with the "unable to shift" error when the Service Vehicle Soon indicator was lit. I'm guess it had something to do with the HVAC or cooling system since the MyLink center console failed to provide HVAC status. Perhaps the cooling system was malfunctioning and the Bolt wouldn't let me drive because it couldn't cool the drive components?

I'll keep an eye on it and probably bring it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I hope they can find something! That's a good thought, if it can't detect the cooling/heating system working as far as the HV battery is concerned, it might not let you move at all, and that's not cool!

·
Registered
592 Posts
The good thing is that if they don't already have internal debug/diagnostics instrumentation that could be added after the fact with an OTA update. That does get into the question of what exactly can be updated, apparently there are at least two main firmware images (Infotainment and Instrument Console), but there are more (the iBooster has a firmware blob with the 'profiles' for braking at least, this may just be a uploaded curve but surely is firmware).

Second good thing is that they are extremely conservative GM, not "break the rules" Tesla with their "sooner is better than perfect" Silicon Valley model.

Third good thing is that the system is easy to reboot out of the problem. Do you freak when your phone has a glitch? I've rebooted my iPhone on occasion. Yes before somebody says it this is a car, not a phone - I know. But on system start there are thousands of diag checks, apparently for some reason one of those glitches this time for you. Take it to the dealer, I bet it will show up on the computer port with some diag codes.

Downside is OTA is new to them and its unclear how seriously they are taking it. We have yet to see an OTA update, and have no idea of their strategy here.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The shifter wouldn't work due to communication issues, IMO. This might apply ?
Control module timing issues will play havoc with the system.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I completely forgot about the OnStar thing. I was used to not having it anymore except for OnStar Basic from my Volt and completely forgot I'm on a new 3 month trial for the Bolt. I'll press the button tomorrow in addition to taking it into the dealer.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I completely forgot about the OnStar thing. I was used to not having it anymore except for OnStar Basic from my Volt and completely forgot I'm on a new 3 month trial for the Bolt. I'll press the button tomorrow in addition to taking it into the dealer.
Great idea. It's nice to be able to have two sources of information - it tends to make the BS detector a little more accurate.

·
Registered
989 Posts
We've experienced issues when customers use Onstar for this. Either Onstar isn't capable of pulling the DTC's and giving a definitive explanation, or, the customers just don't understand whats being explained.
By the time they get to the dealer, nothing makes sense >:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
To fully reboot the car, you have to get out and close the door. All sensors, including the driver's seat, have to be in a neutral state. Turning it off/on is just an intermediate restart.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
... just need to root the Bolt and get access to the logs.

Maybe we can get Mr. Robot on the case :laugh:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi quirkySquirt,

"I held down the "Next" and "Home" buttons to do a soft reset."

Tried sending a PM but don't have enough posts in the bank yet.

Tried to find the meaning of your quote in the manual with no success. Would you mind sending an explanation or a page number?

Bob

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Hi quirkySquirt,

"I held down the "Next" and "Home" buttons to do a soft reset."

Tried sending a PM but don't have enough posts in the bank yet.

Tried to find the meaning of your quote in the manual with no success. Would you mind sending an explanation or a page number?
I don't believe this information is in the manual, but it's been widely reported in the forums. If you hold down both the "Home" and "Next" buttons for 10 seconds, it will reboot the infotainment system, which often clears up freezes or odd behaviour with the centre screen. You don't need to turn the car off to do this.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We've experienced issues when customers use Onstar for this. Either Onstar isn't capable of pulling the DTC's and giving a definitive explanation, or, the customers just don't understand whats being explained.
By the time they get to the dealer, nothing makes sense >:)
Yep, OnStar didn't find anything wrong with a remote diagnostics. I'm hoping the error codes aren't cycled out of the log history by the time I make it to my service appointment. I'm leery about having an auto parts store read the codes. I don't want to lie to my dealer tech when they ask "did anyone else connect to the ODBII port?" OnStar actually asked if I had a ODBII reader connected before they ran their remote diagnostics.

To fully reboot the car, you have to get out and close the door. All sensors, including the driver's seat, have to be in a neutral state. Turning it off/on is just an intermediate restart.
I'll have to remember this!

I don't believe this information is in the manual, but it's been widely reported in the forums. If you hold down both the "Home" and "Next" buttons for 10 seconds, it will reboot the infotainment system, which often clears up freezes or odd behaviour with the centre screen. You don't need to turn the car off to do this.
Yep, I picked up this trick from these forums. In my case, I was only "soft resetting" the infotainment system because it also displayed the HVAC GUI controls (HVAC ON/OFF, RECIRC, FAN SPEED, TARGET TEMP). Once I soft reset the infotainment system, the HVAC GUI indicators/controls were rendered correctly and so far *KNOCKS WOOD* everything is working just fine.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yep, OnStar didn't find anything wrong with a remote diagnostics. I'm hoping the error codes aren't cycled out of the log history by the time I make it to my service appointment. I'm leery about having an auto parts store read the codes. I don't want to lie to my dealer tech when they ask "did anyone else connect to the ODBII port?" OnStar actually asked if I had a ODBII reader connected before they ran their remote diagnostics.
The auto parts store won't be able to read everything in this car. This is GM's Global platform
and I do not know of any scan tool besides the GM (bosch) GDS2 with GM's software that
can access 100% of the information and this could be why OnStar has nothing too ?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Three engineers were riding in a car: a mechanical engineer, a chemical engineer, and a Microsoft software engineer. The car stalled, and they rolled it to the side of the road.
The mechanical engineer popped the hood, looked in and said "Look. The drive belt is loose. All we have to do is tighten it up and the car will work just fine."
The chemical engineer replied "No, that's all wrong. The problem is fuel contamination. We have to drain the fuel, filter it, and then everything will be A-OK."
The Microsoft software engineer told the other two "No, I've seen this problem before. We have to get back in the car, close all the windows, shut down the car, get out, get back in, start up the car, open all the windows, and then it will run."

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Huh, I forgot to update this thread with my dealer experience. They couldn't get any trouble codes and ultimately, based on my feedback about the symptoms, replaced the shifter knob assembly based on a troubleshooting guide from GM. I think this falls under a customer satisfaction ruling? That is, replace a part to keep the customer happy?

I'm not happy at all, more paranoid cause intermittent issues like this are a pain to troubleshoot and creep up at the worst times.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts