Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to set the car to always charge at 12amp?

The car always resets to 8amp as default

·
Registered
53 Posts
correct, how do you set the car to always charge at 12amp when using a L1 charger (120V)
You can only set the default for your home location. Anywhere else it assumes you're on an unknown circuit and likely to overload it by charging at 12 amps, so they want you to think about it.

Anyway, it's under charging, location-based settings I believe. You have to set your home location while you are at home and set the default to 12 amps at home. I was able to find it with just a little poking around in the settings.

·
Registered
499 Posts
BoltyMcBoltFace is on the right track.
Can you use location-based charging to make 12 amps the default at work,
then charge on your L2 at home?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
BoltyMcBoltFace is on the right track.
Can you use location-based charging to make 12 amps the default at work,
then charge on your L2 at home?
If there are no other settings that you wish to default to "home" settings, set the location at work as "home". It then should remember to default to 12 amps. This sounds like a good idea if you have and use a L2 at home.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Chevy provided charger at 120V on the 12amp setting makes about 4 to 4.5 miles per hour of charge. Does anyone else come up with a similar figure?

If your commute to work is less than 40 miles, then this should be sufficient...32 to 36 miles of charge in 8 hours or so...without the need for an L2 240V charger.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread! I have been using my L1 EVSE at home lately because my L2 EVSE is blocked right now due to home construction. So far the L1 has been keeping up with my needs so far.

The 8amp default thing has been irritating me and I did not know there was a way to deal with it. Thanks again! ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pardon the thread necromancy but I just tried this on my 2020 and can't find the option anywhere to set my home location (and I swear I've seen it somewhere before, maybe im thinking of the app or something). Spent a good 20 minutes going through all the settings pages. Has this changed? Called onstar but the tech support department was closed

NVM figured it out. Other thread said it was on page 130 of the manual, its on 119 now. Under energy menu, then charging options, then location based charging.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts