Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to take my Bolt for a while down the stretch of CA highway 1 through Big Sur. It's a remarkable road and a gorgeous drive, if unfortunately a bit choked up with traffic these days.

I finally had the opportunity today. To make it more interesting, I figured to do a loop returning via the Salinas Valley, but it was foggy when I left in the morning, so I reversed the orientation of the route, driving south on US 101 through the Salinas Valley, cutting over to the coast at Paso Robles and coming north on CA1 through Big Sur, where I did a bit of hiking (hiking was less than planned as there's a lot still closed due to storm damage from winter 2016-2017 and 2018-2019).

Route was a total of 460 miles and I made do with 3 charging stops - EvGo near Monterey (65-80%, 23 minutes), EA in Paso Robles (27-80%, 52 minutes) and EvGo in Watsonville (25-47%, 17 minutes). I ended up averaging 4.6 miles/kWh. The longest segment I did without charging was 150 miles, from Paso Robles to Watsonville. I was originally a bit unsure, but the charge to 80% in Paso Robles proved to be plenty (reached Watsonville with ~25% charge). I took a number of detours/backroads to explore further.

Going through the Salinas Valley in the morning, I stopped at a couple of not-yet-open DCFCs. Soledad and Kings City look like they're waiting for PG&E hookup. I saw no sign of construction at all in Greenfield. Between the various options in Monterey/Salinas and Paso Robles/SLO/Pismo Beach and the upcoming additions, things look fairly well served. The coast along CA1 is a different story - there aren't any functioning public stations (DCFCs or L2s) between Monterey and SLO - a distance of ~135 miles. There were L2s at the Hearst Castle Park visitor center and in downtown Morro Bay but they are closed/out-of-service respectively. The coastal drive was popular enough and I saw a lot of Teslas but almost no other EVs save for one Leaf and one i3.

Overall it was a nice trip, though a longer one than I expected. I hope to do a similar route in the fall or winter when there won't be quite so many people driving the same roads.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I'm not sure what happened with the Greenfield site. It's possible that Soledad was the alternative site, and EA just hasn't cleaned up their "Coming Soon"" sites. That is what appears to have happened with the EA site at the Delano Walmart that ended up being installed at the Tulare Walmart instead.

I mentioned this in another thread, but ChargePoint posted an update on their King City site, which should be going live in mid August (dependent on PG&E).

I'm actually not concerned with the Highway 1/Big Sur route not having coverage. Yes, it's a 135 mile stretch, but it's also a very slow moving road. Sure, if there aren't a lot of other cars and you're driving in a spirited manner (there are a lot of pedestrians, so that must be done with great care regardless), you might burn through juice quicker, but it's really not a problem. EA is adding a charger in Monterey, so the North End has coverage. Unfortunately, Recargo's site in San Luis Obispo was scrapped, which would have been a very useful site on the South End.

It would be nice to have a few destination DC fast chargers along that route (maybe in Big Sur and San Simeon), but that's about it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any discussion of a trip like this without photos is....................lacking. :giggle:
Fair point. I didn't take that many. Frankly, I was slightly disappointed. The drive itself is gorgeous but the condition of the parks/trails and the crowds are not great. The nicest spot I saw I can't share photos of - the trail was closed, so technically I was never there!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure what happened with the Greenfield site. It's possible that Soledad was the alternative site, and EA just hasn't cleaned up their "Coming Soon"" sites. That is what appears to have happened with the EA site at the Delano Walmart that ended up being installed at the Tulare Walmart instead.
Yeah, that makes sense to me.

I mentioned this in another thread, but ChargePoint posted an update on their King City site, which should be going live in mid August (dependent on PG&E).
Thanks. Looks like the same story for their Hollister site.

I'm actually not concerned with the Highway 1/Big Sur route not having coverage. Yes, it's a 135 mile stretch, but it's also a very slow moving road. Sure, if there aren't a lot of other cars and you're driving in a spirited manner (there are a lot of pedestrians, so that must be done with great care regardless), you might burn through juice quicker, but it's really not a problem. EA is adding a charger in Monterey, so the North End has coverage. Unfortunately, Recargo's site in San Luis Obispo was scrapped, which would have been a very useful site on the South End.
For driving through, you're right, it doesn't matter too much.

But I did a camping trip back in January and took an ICEV because there was no plausible way to recharge overnight/during hikes. In retrospect I would've been fine, but because our plans needed a healthy margin of range (no reservations - could have had to go substantially north/south for available campgrounds), I didn't want to push it. Having the ability to recharge during a hike/overnight (as on the Mendocino coast) makes it a lot easier. Destination DCFCs would make it easier still. Now if the Bolt has 360 miles of range, this would all be a moot point!

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
For driving through, you're right, it doesn't matter too much.

But I did a camping trip back in January and took an ICEV because there was no plausible way to recharge overnight/during hikes. In retrospect I would've been fine, but because our plans needed a healthy margin of range (no reservations - could have had to go substantially north/south for available campgrounds), I didn't want to push it. Having the ability to recharge during a hike/overnight (as on the Mendocino coast) makes it a lot easier. Destination DCFCs would make it easier still. Now if the Bolt has 360 miles of range, this would all be a moot point!
Well, even for that, I would prefer L2 AC at the trail heads/parking. If you're going to spend the afternoon hiking, there's no reason to hook up to DCFC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts