Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Administrator
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Share pictures of your battery charger set up with the Chevy Bolt EV Community.

(Garage, Side Of The House, Ceiling Set Up etc.)

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
OK. Clipper Creek HSC-40 I finished installing about a week ago. Working great so far. Until I get a car lift installed, the Bolt has to park and charge outside. I cut a notch in the crappy old wood garage door I have to run the charging cord outside. Soon there will be a brand new door and I won't have the notch, so if I want to charge my car, I'll have to either get a car lift in quick so I can drive the Bolt in, or get a charging extension cord so I can run it out the window and reach the car.

Too many projects, too many toys...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Here's pics of my install back in 2012 when I had it installed for my Plug-in Prius. EVSE is installed on the outside of the garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you still have to assemble the JuiceBox EVSE's?

Mine (2012 vintage) came as a bunch of parts which needed to be assembled including soldering, etc..
No everything was done for me, the weird part was that this is not the pro model, but it's in the pro case.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
60 Amp JuiceBox from 2013- back then it came as a kit you had to solder/ assemble.
Currently setup for 40amp working load.

FYI- the encased relay is wired to a Z-Wave outlet which allows me to power down the JuiceBox remotely.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice. Be going this way if my EVDUTY 40 ever dies.

60 Amp JuiceBox from 2013- back then it came as a kit you had to solder/ assemble.
Currently setup for 40amp working load.

FYI- the encased relay is wired to a Z-Wave outlet which allows me to power down the JuiceBox remotely.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Nice. Be going this way if my EVDUTY 40 ever dies.
IIRC my whole kit (without J-cable) was $179 back in 2013, but sadly- JuiceBox has shifted away from a DIY oriented product to a retail solution at nearly the same price as the UL approved EVSE's but without the UL approval.

If I needed a new EVSE today, I'd purchase the "OpenEVSE Kit - Level 2 -50A Deluxe"
from OpenEV and pt it together myself. It's literally half the price of the JuiceBox at this point.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Our two Volts charge with one Level 2, a GE unit from Home Depot, and one Level 1. The 40A service on the GE will probably only get 19-20 mph with a Bolt EV, but has otherwise been a bargain. Our electrician was doing work on the the breaker box and threw in the install while he was at it since it's right next to the panel... a rather fortunate layout for our house.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
JuiceBox for me. This is one of the early "Open Source" ones built from a semi-kit. (Most of the components soldered to the PC board.)
Upgraded from 120v service to 240v (by me) - most of two weekends pulling the wire and patching the ceiling. Outlet is pretty well surrounded by garage storage junk.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine is a little different set up with the fact that I live in a Condo building. I upgraded my EV outlet once I moved in from a 120V 20AMP circuit to a 208V 20AMP as the conduit would not allow me to upgrade the wiring from a 12 gauge to an 8 gauge wire. Good thing I had it in my purchase agreement to have an EV outlet and parking spot otherwise this would not have been allowed. Several other EV owners in my building and they didn't request an EV parking spot in their purchase agreement and are not allowed to install an EVSC. Since I pay for the electric use of my EV car (currently a Volt waiting for my Bolt to arrive), I put in a shut-off switch so I can shut off the power to my EVSC when I leave and turn it back on when I arrive home again.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
In a condo building so had to install a separate sub-meter to monitor my electrical use and pay for it. So I installed a kill switch so that I can shut off the unit when I'm not home. As there are other electric drivers that didn't request an electric vehicle parking spot when they purchased their units - meaning they can't charge at home. The sub-meter cost more than anything else.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 92 Posts