Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Here's mine. I use a GE Wattstation on a 50 amp run, with a 40 amp circuit breaker on it.

The design on it is from an official 'skin' from GelaSkins

The festoon rig has various Round Cable parts from KH Industries and an industrial retractor I sourced from Ebay. Vinyl wrapped tensioned steel line runs from a mount point in a stud to the overbuilt garage door opener bracket, gracefully dropping the cable right to where my charge port is. The whole thing easily rolls back along the cable to the wall, so I can stow the EVSE handle back in its holder in second without having to wrap the cable back up.

I'm married to someone who has about 40 more IQ points than I do, but she's the clumsiest person I know, so I HAD to make sure the cable is never on the floor.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Juice Box 40 Pro. Had the run from the main panel in the basement (6 AWG, 50 ft through finished basement) and the 14-50R professionally installed because I'm a chemical engineer, which means I am comfortable doing my own plumbing all day long, but I don't mess with electricity (I'd rather have some water damage than a fire, haha).

Did the permit / inspection thing because of course everyone should. Hung the EVSE myself. Still have to sand / repaint where the run came through the wall.

Paid a little over $1,000 for the work, in NJ.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I ran a dedicated 40A service to a Webasto 32A EVSE. The GM dealer threw this device into the negotiation... so I took it, knowing I may have to upgrade if/when this thing dies. Place your bets! I say it breaks my heart on Feb 14, 2020.

I wanted to run a 60A service, but the load calculation at the panel would put me over the house limit. Replacing the panel is an extra $2K in parts and permits, so that can wait until BEV #2 requires it (if ever).

Everything is permitted & inspected, because I also believe:

Did the permit / inspection thing because of course everyone should.

·
Registered
100 Posts
ChargePoint Home hard wired to 40 amp breaker in sub-panel (200 amp service to the house). 18 foot cord reaches nicely to the Bolt. Solar panels/net metering means I never worry about costs, connection fee to the grid is $25, and the system over-produces all year.
7683F259-1189-452E-8055-B074F3E4EFA0.jpeg )

·
Registered
15 Posts
We use a Mustart 40-amp charger that we power via a 240V / 50 Amp NEMA 14-50R outlet in the garage. This is an older model of their charger, which we bought without realizing they had switched to a newer model that's a bit more weather resistant. This one works fine inside the garage and it seems great, but if we were to do it over again we'd have spent the extra $10 to get the newer model. The cable-keeper is a simple hose reel we bought at Lowes and mounted on the wall. We did this because the two-prong wire keeper that Mustart shipped with the unit was a joke. We also did not put the mount on the wall for the J1772 connector because that would force the connector to stick out quite a bit and one of us (most likely me) would inevitably smack into it while walking by. So, this is a neat, clean solution that so far works great for us.

·
Registered
1 Posts
EVSE is an EVDuty 32A made in Québec with a very flexible cord in the winter and Clipper-Creek holster. The sheet metal cover is more to keep the sap from the big pine tree and the snow off the cordset. Installed and in daily use since 2014 on my previous electric vehicle. Works great on my new 2019 Bolt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here’s my new Clipper Creek HCS-50 setup on the side of my house. I had to call an electrician to run a 50-amp wire through a heating duct race in my finished basement, but it was a straight shot. (My service panel is on the opposite side of my house from my driveway.)

It works great, and the cable can reach my Bolt when my wife’s car is parked next to the charger.

5B2340C4-11B0-46AF-A119-34E6F32B3426.jpeg A4D0427C-E0AC-4B8F-B1EC-0FAE69653413.jpeg

·
Registered
72 Posts

Original OpenEVSE, 40A rated, but dialed back to 20, mounted in the garage with the wire sticking out to a reel and holster in the driveway, 2015. I had a SparkEV that only had a 3.3kw. I couldn't see spending a thousand dollars on a dumb wall box. If I wanted to put a sealed button in it, it would be waterproof, but it was easier to keep it inside.

Nowadays, 5 years later, with WiFi and almost 9 megawatt-hours of juice later (or at least since the last time the eeprom got wiped)

The whole thing is plugged in to a NEMA 14-50 on the wall in the garage, with a 20 foot cord sneaking under the door.

And the occasional borderline psychotic charging session out in the middle of the desert.. How about some fast chargers out near Joshua Tree and Twenty Nine Palms? Pretty please?

And yes, there was an upstream breaker feeding this sub panel, before anybody panics.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts