Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Another Canadian set-up, Quebecer Style !

Here is my set-Up

Charger is from Flo, a Quebec based company.
Stainless steel pedestal is custom made by a St-Hubert company.

Check them online.

Enjoy !
That’s the nicest home setup I have seen so far. Great work!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here's mine! I don't have a garage (that I can park in, at least), so this is on the side of my house next to my driveway,

My electrician installed an RV power box, because I wanted ready access to a 30 amp outlet for other purposes, in addition to a standard outlet for Christmas lights and the like, since I didn't have any exterior outlets towards the front of the house. IIRC they pulled a 50 amp circuit but simple to convert to 100 if I ever need it. (meanwhile, don't charge the car and pull 30 amps off the other outlet at the same time, should be simple enough to coordinate that LOL)

The JuiceBox is interesting in that they "prefer" to have it completely sheltered from the elements "if possible". I couldn't find a wifi-compatible enclosure box that worked well, unfortunately. But this being SoCal, and rain fairly rare, I just mounted the box to a backerboard (so it's easy enough to remove if needed), and added a hood to keep the worst of the sun (and rare rain) off of it. The wall faces East and there is another house on the other side of the driveway, so this really does protect it pretty darned well, since direct sunlight is a rare sliver and rain storms severe enough to cause issues are even more rare.

The JuiceBox is connected to an isolated guest WiFi network so security isn't much of an issue, from that aspect. And my neighborshood is safe enough that I'm not really worried about physical security... if that changes, I can add a padlock to lock the panel cover pretty easily.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Finally finished building my daughters design of the "magical fairy charging house". It looks better than having it just strapped to the pole and it was great fun to build it with her! The charger was a throw in from the dealer and it works flawless. The 70 amp RV box gave me a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50 amp breaker and a 20 amp breaker with a GFI outlet. Easy if I ever need to use the L1 that came with the car in an emergency or just as an outlet outside.

·
Registered
51 Posts
View attachment 29271 Finally finished building my daughters design of the "magical fairy charging house". It looks better than having it just strapped to the pole and it was great fun to build it with her! The charger was a throw in from the dealer and it works flawless. The 70 amp RV box gave me a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50 amp breaker and a 20 amp breaker with a GFI outlet. Easy if I ever need to use the L1 that came with the car in an emergency or just as an outlet outside.
Very nice!

·
Registered
447 Posts
View attachment 29271 Finally finished building my daughters design of the "magical fairy charging house". It looks better than having it just strapped to the pole and it was great fun to build it with her! The charger was a throw in from the dealer and it works flawless. The 70 amp RV box gave me a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50 amp breaker and a 20 amp breaker with a GFI outlet. Easy if I ever need to use the L1 that came with the car in an emergency or just as an outlet outside.
That is awesome!

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
429 Posts
My setup: 40A breaker in panel immediately next to the Siemens VersiCharge 30A unit, NEMA 10-50 outlet (would do 14-50 if I had known better at the time).

·
Registered
447 Posts
I posted my pre-Juicebox setup previously. that was replaced with a refurb Juicebox Pro 40. Very happy with this setup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
We have the ability to charge two at the same time. This was quite the endeavor given that we own an older home with some pretty "interesting" wiring, and not a large enough service. The cost effective answer was to simply set up our garage with it's own service and meter. 200 amp, 240v service. We did the install ourselves for cost of materials, and it still was quite the expense. The outside charger is the Aeroenvironment charger branded for Nissan that I bought used for $200, and a 240v four prong outlet (forget the code for it) for the EVSE. One nice thing Nissan did do is allow for the EVSE to be capable of supplying a full 6.6kw at 240v - a true L2 charger when one has access to a plug. It will also plug into a 120V outlet with an included adapter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just picked up a used Siemans VG-2 (found it here in the for sale section). We pre-wired for the charger with #6 wire and a 30amp breaker. Got the electrician out last weekend to pop in a 50amp breaker (future proofing), mount the Nema 6-50 outlet, and hung it on the wall. Charged about 250 miles in around 8 plus hours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just had my 240v outlet installed today for $210 and mounted this secondhand but never opened Clipper Creek HCS-40 that I bought for $350 on a local classified site.

Think I did good for an a total cost of $560. Excuse the messy garage!

·
Registered
54 Posts
ChargePoint Level 2 240V, 32A direct connect to panel on 40A circuit (200A service). Flawless performance, WiFi was a must, best looking unit IMO by far (clean, simple and attractive design). It's mounted on the side of our garage under 2' eaves, gets some spray when it rains (no issues).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Juice Box 40 Pro. Had the run from the main panel in the basement (6 AWG, 50 ft through finished basement) and the 14-50R professionally installed because I'm a chemical engineer, which means I am comfortable doing my own plumbing all day long, but I don't mess with electricity (I'd rather have some water damage than a fire, haha).

Did the permit / inspection thing because of course everyone should. Hung the EVSE myself. Still have to sand / repaint where the run came through the wall.

Paid a little over $1,000 for the work, in NJ.

View attachment 27083
You would be surprised how much damage can be caused by water or plumbing mistakes. I have a friend whose house nearly burned to the ground due to solder from copper pipes dripping on wood! Electrical fires can happen, but are more likely to be from a sketchy product plugged into an outlet. My contractor friend of 40 years has seen almost no big issues with electrical fires from electrical panel or wiring and in really old homes, for the 20's to mid-century homes. He's seen way more damage from water, even just recently a plumber friend of his flooding a basement of his project due to an end cap termination failing, unlike electrical plumbing has little to no safety systems to prevent flooding.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You would be surprised how much damage can be caused by water or plumbing mistakes. I have a friend whose house nearly burned to the ground due to solder from copper pipes dripping on wood! Electrical fires can happen, but are more likely to be from a sketchy product plugged into an outlet. My contractor friend of 40 years has seen almost no big issues with electrical fires from electrical panel or wiring and in really old homes, for the 20's to mid-century homes. He's seen way more damage from water, even just recently a plumber friend of his flooding a basement of his project due to an end cap termination failing, unlike electrical plumbing has little to no safety systems to prevent flooding.
I see what you're saying, but I'll still take a serious plumbing failure over an electrical failure because:
  • The chance of me dying / becoming injured from a serious plumbing failure is much much lower than from a serious electrical failure (assuming a fire / electrocution risk occurs)
  • The amount of property damage from a serious electrical failure is typically more significant than from a plumbing failure (assuming a fire occurs)
  • Plumbing failures are usually localized, whereas electrical failures that lead to fires affect large portions of the home
I get that plumbing failures are more common, but the amount of safety systems around electrical systems and lack thereof around plumbing systems itself speaks to the increased nature of relative damage / risk of electrical failures.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I see what you're saying, but I'll still take a serious plumbing failure over an electrical failure because:
  • The chance of me dying / becoming injured from a serious plumbing failure is much much lower than from a serious electrical failure (assuming a fire / electrocution risk occurs)
  • The amount of property damage from a serious electrical failure is typically more significant than from a plumbing failure (assuming a fire occurs)
  • Plumbing failures are usually localized, whereas electrical failures that lead to fires affect large portions of the home
I get that plumbing failures are more common, but the amount of safety systems around electrical systems and lack thereof around plumbing systems itself speaks to the increased nature of relative damage / risk of electrical failures.
In my experience, the primary causes for electrical issues are due to codes not being followed. My garage was a fire waiting for an excuse to occur due to how bad the electrical was in the garage. Someone thought it would be just fine to use appliance cord in place of romex in the garage. I had to completed gut the wiring and start over from scratch. End result is the garage is now it's own metered service, 200A and capable of handling two EVs charging at once. I built beyond code, using higher rated materials than required in my build.

Reactions: neutrondrip

·
Registered
371 Posts
In my experience, the primary causes for electrical issues are due to codes not being followed. My garage was a fire waiting for an excuse to occur due to how bad the electrical was in the garage. Someone thought it would be just fine to use appliance cord in place of romex in the garage. I had to completed gut the wiring and start over from scratch. End result is the garage is now it's own metered service, 200A and capable of handling two EVs charging at once. I built beyond code, using higher rated materials than required in my build.
Agreed. Not too long ago I was running a new water line to a basement fridge when I noticed some romex between the joists that had just been cut and was hanging there. "There's no way that's live, I said." Sure enough, it was. The "handyman" that the previous owners hired to install the drop ceiling in the basement created a ton of code violations and shoddy wiring situations that cost me about a grand to fix. I am glad I caught it before it caused any injury or damage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh. How did I miss posting mine here?
OpenEVSE i built + a plug for the welder :) (not to be used at the same time lol) The OpenEVSE should do up to (actual) 40A charging, but in the summer Texas heat it already likes to occasionally enter temperature throttling with the standard 32A.

Before the OpenEVSE i had a Siemens Versicharge I used on my 14' Nissan Leaf and 16' BMW i3. Hopefully i'll stop electric car hopping for a while. The Bolt finally fills my "extended range" needs.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts