Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts

My Evilbay used 2nd gen LEAF charger arrived yesterday, and I got it put up in the place of the one we used to keep in the same spot when we owned the 2019 LEAF SL Plus. On trips, I just take it down and put it in the boot of the car, and have a 6.6kw capable charger at the ready in case it's needed, and when at home, we're able to charge both EVs at once.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just used the portable charger supplied with my Kona. It's 230VAC x 7 A and is sufficient for my requirements. The box's bottom panel is hinged and held closed magnetically so that the cable can drop out the bottom when in use and keep weather off the internals.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV premier
6 Posts

I had been using the 120v charging cable that came with the car, but I couldn't pass up a great deal on a juice box from my utility company. It's a 32 amp. I know many will be shocked by my outdoor install, but I use my garage as a shop. Plus EnelX claims it can handle just about any weather Washington can throw at it.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt LT Summit White
64 Posts
I've got an old school ICS-200 level 2, it talks! I call her Lisa cause I think she was programmed by the guys from Weird Science, like you plug in the car and she goes "Thursdhay, fhour fhifty fhive pm, begin charging at 9pm..." I just chuckle, the Future! from 20 years ago.

-Jim

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
13 Posts
Share pictures of your battery charger set up with the Chevy Bolt EV Community.

(Garage, Side Of The House, Ceiling Set Up etc.)
Finally was able to get the Grizzl-e installed and love it, no more worrying about finding a rapid charger!!
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive mirror

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Still on the low frills side of things. Now a two EV family and decided to use my two Bolt OEM charge cords on a single 240V source. One cord needed an extension to reach the right rear of the nearest EV. Don't plan to charge both at the same time, but does give the option. Went out to the shop and found whatever scraps of stuff I could find to come up with a cable management setup so nothing needs to be on the floor until charging time.
Peripheral Microphone Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gadget

·
Registered
6 Posts
Still waiting for the car to be released from dealer. So installed L2 while I’m waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Do people actually coil up their cables neatly, like shown in the pictures, every time? I'm no neat freak but that cable gets filthy laying on the ground, especially since mine is outside. There's no way I'm grabbing that cable and coiling it up neatly every time.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV LT, Driver Confidence Package
105 Posts
Outdoors, OEM EVSE, 2022 Bolt EUV. Could someone walk off with the EVSE? In theory yes, although it's a fairly safe neighborhood, and it's tricky to thread through the small gap between the fence and the house.
Plant Wood Tire Tree Wheel

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV LT, Driver Confidence Package
105 Posts
Do people actually coil up their cables neatly, like shown in the pictures, every time? I'm no neat freak but that cable gets filthy laying on the ground, especially since mine is outside. There's no way I'm grabbing that cable and coiling it up neatly every time.
I do. Maybe it helps that I don't put too many miles on the car, charging ~every 2 weeks. :)

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
700 Posts
My JuiceBox is half way back in the garage, so I have to coil the cable to not drive over it when I pull inside. If I charge in the driveway, only about 6 feet of the cable is outside, so other than perhaps some rain water it's still clean. Plus, if it's a warmer day the sun makes the cable a bit more pliable, so easier to hang back up. :)

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Actually, this will be a first for me too. I switched which side I parked the Bolt in the garage. Previously had the cable run on the floor (with a over floor cable cover at an entrance door) with the charge cord handle situated next to the car. Maybe after rolling up the cords a couple times, we'll give up. Could run the cords above on the ceiling and have some kind of drop down setup.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Share pictures of your battery charger set up with the Chevy Bolt EV Community.

(Garage, Side Of The House, Ceiling Set Up etc.)
When I bought my 2019, I was determined to drive and use it as much like any other car. To that goal I decided to utilize only the Level 1 EVSE that came with the car. (Even though my utility gave a nice rebate for going with LEVEL 2). I installed a 240 Volt line, in my garage (I was a qualified electrician in another life) right where the Bolt would be parked. Had an unused drier outlet and used it for the outlet. The L1 EVSE that came with the car works on 240V or 110V and this setup allows me to charge at 12 Amps. I have used this setup almost daily for over two years now and am totally pleased with the result.
Electrical wiring Audio equipment Gas Cable Electricity

I am sure more people will ask about the adapter that I used so I have included some info on that too.

Electrical wiring Audio equipment Gas Cable Electricity
Red Gas Cylinder Auto part Plastic

It is a NEMA 14-30 P adapter. Available from most electrical supply houses!

·
Registered
101 Posts
When I bought my 2019, I was determined to drive and use it as much like any other car. To that goal I decided to utilize only the Level 1 EVSE that came with the car. (Even though my utility gave a nice rebate for going with LEVEL 2). I installed a 240 Volt line, in my garage (I was a qualified electrician in another life) right where the Bolt would be parked. Had an unused drier outlet and used it for the outlet. The L1 EVSE that came with the car works on 240V or 110V and this setup allows me to charge at 12 Amps. I have used this setup almost daily for over two years now and am totally pleased with the result. View attachment 39865

I am sure more people will ask about the adapter that I used so I have included some info on that too.

View attachment 39865 View attachment 39867

It is a NEMA 14-30 P adapter. Available from most electrical supply houses!
I am curious: Since that adapter is from a reputable supplier, does it supply 240V or 120V to the EVSE? I would expect the 5-20 receptacle on the adapter to be wired to hot/neutral/ground on the 14-30 plug, and not hot/hot/ground. So I think you may be getting the same result as plugging into any standard 120V outlet.

In any case, it has clearly worked for you for years, so that's good! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am curious: Since that adapter is from a reputable supplier, does it supply 240V or 120V to the EVSE? I would expect the 5-20 receptacle on the adapter to be wired to hot/neutral/ground on the 14-30 plug, and not hot/hot/ground. So I think you may be getting the same result as plugging into any standard 120V outlet.

In any case, it has clearly worked for you for years, so that's good! :)
You are absolutely correct. I was principally after the higher amp capacity of the 240 volt line to run the EVSE at 12 amps and not stress the circuit! And, as you say, it has worked for me for years. Now all I have to do is wait until my new 2022 Swap is finalized.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts