5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"Plug N Charge" LOL

·
Administrator
2,795 Posts

"Plug N Charge" LOL
"Gun" LOL.

A bit pricey, but a nice option to have L1 or L2 option.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Actually a pretty OK price for 40 amp charger, just bought a Clipper Creek HSC 50p for $659. I did find 40 amp chargers for less money but my 10 year experience with Clipper Creek for my wife's Volt sealed the deal.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,481 Posts
I wish marketing wonks would stop advertising products such as these as "Fast Chargers". IMO, forty miles of range for an hour of charge isn't "fast".

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
202 Posts
The price is not so bad for a 40 amp. Warranty is weak, UL certified, I’m not loving the Fisher Price colors, looks like a toy .

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
"Gun" LOL.
The first and only time I've heard the J1772 handle being referred to as a "gun" when I was at an EVent hosted by Nissan corporate in the Bay Area. The Nissan corporate guy who flew over from TN referred to charging "gun".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know if this is actually UL listed? The seller said on Amazon that it is, but other comments seem more skeptical. I have emailed the company, but no answer. While they are a Shell licensee - it seems that all of the other "shell" products they make are cell phone power banks and cigarette usb ports. The UL listing is the only thing holding me back from buying this as it ticks every other box for me!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I don't know if what they're selling is actually shell but I'm pretty sure Shell is trying to get in the EV game. It would have some symbol of safety not necessarily UL.
I forget the name of the other testing agency that is just as good.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,967 Posts
I don't know if what they're selling is actually shell but I'm pretty sure Shell is trying to get in the EV game. It would have some symbol of safety not necessarily UL.
I forget the name of the other testing agency that is just as good.
There are a lot of different testing companies. CSA-US (Canadian Standards Association - US), ETL (Edison Testing Labs), MET (Eurofins MET Labs), etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just to avoid confusion, this is called “Recharge” not “Plug n Charge.” To add confusion, Shell’s public charging stations are also called “Recharge.”

I have the 32a version of this, and it is currently $379 on Amazon. The 40a is $499. What I like about it is that it is dual voltage and multi amperage. The 32a can be changed to 12,16, or 24 amp at the push of a button. It also has charge delay — up to 99 hours.

The case is nice, and the 120v adapter is included. Other features include a line voltage display and a total kWh display (total for the current charging session).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts