Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, two questions ...

park button - is there a safety feature that prevents the park to activate the park break when pressed accidentally? The button on top of the shifter could easily beppressed by accident while driving ?

drive mode D and L - wwhat'sthe ddifference and is there harm in beingin either mode for a long time or full speed? EEspecially the L mode?

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Hello there, two questions ...

park button - is there a safety feature that prevents the park to activate the park break when pressed accidentally? The button on top of the shifter could easily beppressed by accident while driving ?

drive mode D and L - wwhat'sthe ddifference and is there harm in beingin either mode for a long time or full speed? EEspecially the L mode?

thanks!
Park button question.......good question. I would assume that there has to be some lockout function that prevents someone from accidentally pressing the "P" button and switching to Park while at speed. Any bold Bolt owner want to test if the Bolt has that kind of feature??

Drive mode Q - driving in D will make the Bolt feel like any regular car.....gradual slowdown when you lift off the pedal like a regular car, and it will creep forward if you let off the brake while stopped.

L engages the "One Pedal Driving" mode. Lift off the pedal at speed, and the deceleration will be MUCH stronger than in D. Lift off the throttle in L and the car will come to a complete stop without use of the brake. There is no creep mode while in L.

Unlike L in a regular car, all L does in the Bolt is increase the regenerative braking power. No possible way to damage anything while driving in L.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bro is right on. You can even augment the regen with the paddle on the back left side of the steering wheel. While in (D)rive, you can use the paddle to regen all the way down a stop. And if you use the wheel paddle to stop yourself (not the brake pedal) it will not creep forward when you let go of it - even though it's still in (D)rive. It's a toggle (meaning binary), so don't think squeezing it harder will stop you faster.

L-Mode is exactly what Bro said - one pedal driving. However, if you find you need to stop a little quicker when you let off the throttle, you can combine L mode's regen with the paddle for really aggressive regen.

·
Registered
181 Posts
L-Mode is exactly what Bro said - one pedal driving. However, if you find you need to stop a little quicker when you let off the throttle, you can combine L mode's regen with the paddle for really aggressive regen.
In addition, you can also press the traditional brake pedal to engage the friction brakes in all modes (R, D, L, and I assume N) to stop even faster.

I was stopped at a light in L mode on a moderate grade. The Bolt engaged the parking brake to keep from rolling. It released it when I pressed to go pedal.

Ed

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also, in regards to the regen paddle, I've gotten used to pulling the toggle while my foot is still on the accelerator pedal, so you can help regulate the affect of the toggle switch so it doesn't feel so "binary" in nature. I do this usually when I'm coming to a quick stop in "D".

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone

L mode seems great for city driving - on the freeway/highway I've been switching to D for less slow down when I let off the gas...

I've experienced the annoying fact that in L mode the parking brake will engage "randomly" ? for example - I have to back into my parking spot, and I pull up and shift into reverse but the parking brake engages ... only when i'm in L mode. the ground is level --- what is the exact criteria for the car to engage the parking brake? (it doesn't release automatically - at least not in reverse)

did anyone dare yet to press "P" while cruising at higher speeds?

thanks again for all the answers

·
Registered
734 Posts
The feedback i'm seeing here has me starting to think about if there might be ways to further improve the system GM has us working with here. With owners here driving it day in and day out i'm sure there are little things you guys can point out.

·
Registered
979 Posts
you can combine L mode's regen with the paddle for really aggressive regen.
According to a few different articles the Bolt’s maximum regenerative braking generates 0.3G deceleration. Presumably this is with gear selector in “L” and with the paddle squeezed.

Question: Assuming a dry, smooth, flat, 75F paved road surface. From 30 mph what will be the stopping distance in feet of a stock Bolt at 0.3G deceleration ? How about from 50 mph ?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I calculated at 30 mph and 1/3 g deceleration it takes 90.75 ft to stop. 1/3 g at 50 mph requires 252 ft and 1/3 g at 60 mph 363 ft.

OK I used .33 G.

·
Registered
506 Posts
At .3 G and 30 mph I got 100.83 ft. Basically distance =(velocity in ft/s)^2/(2*32*0.3) where 0.3 is the fraction of 1 g.
All this computation got me thinking. For a 3400 lb Bolt, it would take a average power delivered to the wheels of 79.2 kW to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 7 seconds, as has been claimed. That seems about right. (Wind resistance not included). Going down hill with the regen engaged, I often see about 45 kW being generated.
:nerd:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
..... This went from straight questions to math class real quick! Gosh how I love this forum, always learning something new!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Nice. How was the coefficient of friction = 32, chosen ?
32 is really acceleration of gravity. It is 32 f/sec*sec. (Think about jumping off a bridge, you accelerate at 32 ft per second squared and at the end of on second you are traveling 16 ft/sec). I assumed no rolling or wind resistance (classical physics approach) The exercise was to decelerate at .3 g. So the deceleration is 32 ft/sec*sec times 0.3 or about 9.6 f/ss.

As I was driving after this, it is not so simple in the Bolt, because the regenerative power reduces as it slows down. I think this means less deceleration at slow speeds, but haven't thought that one through and on a flat surface the Bolt seems to come to a stop using regen in a fairly firm manner.

As far as the coefficient of friction holding the tires to the pavement, it has to be great enough so there is no slippage, which at 0.3 g shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, with a flat empty parking lot, a stop watch, a long measuring tape and a Bolt, we could do the experiment.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
btw. as it has been said. if you are in L and you unbuckle your seatbelt the bolt will go into "park" when you come to a complete stop. and will not release when you start driving again.

-> don't unbuckle in L mode lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
To address the park button press at speed question, found a snowy parking lot and experimented. Above 3 mph/5kmh the dash displays something to the effect of "Conditions not correct for shift". From 0-3 mph, the park button will activate the parking brake and then apply park when stopped.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts