Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one noticed the "non standard" shift pattern on the photos of the Bolts "shifter"? Hope this changes by production.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been driving for over 50 years in multiple cars and the typical P
R
N
D
L. has been the standard in all the automatics I've driven. Why does Chevy need to reinvent the wheel? All you young folks that don't have the muscle memory will no doubt reacclimate quicker than those of us on the wrong side of 70.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think it's something you can get used to slowly, just look down at the shifter when you first start learning so you know it's going in the right position.

This is going to be a new experience for me too with the reverse being on the upper left. Going to be getting a few accidental neutrals but it should be fine after a while. At least D is still at the bottom. Will also need to remember to push the button to change positions.

You'll do fine! :D Once the bolt is out, you can probably take it for a test drive from a dealership to see how it initially feels.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Not that different than the 4 speed shift pattern on the Z28 I had (a few decades ago) - reverse was to the left and up.

You didn't mention there was no "P" on the gear selector (It's a separate button)

Every car has it's quirks. Whenever I drive my Dad's Mercedes, I flash the high beams when I go for the turn signals - lasts a few minutes then I get the feel for where the correct stalk is. He says it happens to him when he switches between the Prius and Mercedes also. You'll get used to it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The gear selector doesn't seem to be a lot different from the Leaf where reverse is left and up (then release) - however on the Leaf neutral is left and hold for a second (that always felt weird to me). Looks like Neutral on the Bolt is up (and probably hold for a sec.) My guess would be the button on the Bolt selector is Park - same as the Leaf.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I thought that button at the top might be high regenerative braking mode. in one of the videos the GM engineer said he always drove in that mode rather than Drive.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Only downside about these electric parking brakes is when they fail, since you will of course won't have a parking brake. Hopefully it won't be something that becomes an issue since this is a bit of a high tech ride.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I took a look at the Bolt's interior, where are there three "P"? One on the button, the orange P on the shift stick and another on a button beside the stick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts