Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, when I depress the thumb button and push the shift lever all the way forward I do not always get neutral. Sometimes nothing happens; sometimes the car goes to "park"and sometimes it goes into neutral. The problem is that it does not consistently go into neutral when I take the required action. This creates a problem when I rapidly have to go to neutral at the entry of a car wash. Anyone else experience this? 2017 Bolt:(

·
Registered
16 Posts
On my 2017, shifting to neutral works like this.

While in (P)ark:

1) Hold the brake pedal.
2) Press shift lock release button on the side of the shift lever.
3) Push shift lever forward.
4) Car goes into neutral immediately.

While in (D)rive or (L):

1) Push shift lever forward and hold. Don't press the shift lock release button on the side of the shift lever.
2) Car goes into neutral after a short delay.

In my area, car washes don't require the driver to leave the car. Therefore, I don't use Car Wash Mode. Instead, I slowly approach the car wash entrance in either D or L. The car wash attendant guides me onto the track then tells me to put the car into neutral. I push the shift lever forward and hold for at least a second. The car goes into neutral. The car is pulled through the wash. At the end when the car wash flashes a green light, I pull back on the shift lever without pushing the shift lock release button. The car goes into D and I drive away.

Some of this is described in the owner's manual beginning on page 207

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2017/Chevrolet/BOLT EV/Owner's Manual.pdf

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well I'll be darned, I've driven my Bolt for 2 years and 22,000 miles and EVERYTIME I went into neutral I pressed the shift lock release button and pushed the shift lever forward. Now after looking at the operating manual - it says to simply move the shift lever forward. (The shift lock release button would be used ONLY if I was initially in "park." )
I am now going to have to try the owners manual procedure - when driving through a drive-through car wash facility (I don't leave the car) -- I go from D or L and simply move the shift lever forward. (I will try it both with the brake on and no brake.) I will avoid using the shift lock release button. Again, I have been using the shift lock release button all this time. So I guess I only read that part of the manual that applies when you were in the park mode!!
Thank you for alerting me to the correct procedure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have this same issue! It takes like 4 clicks to go into neutral.

I tried shifting the lever without pushing the side button but the car on the dash gives me a notification to push the button.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I push forward twice. Sometimes with thumb button in, sometimes not. It seems to alternate from on drive to next whether holding thumb button in is the ticket or not. I will have to observe whether i am shifting from D, L or P

·
Registered
204 Posts
The shift-lock side button is only needed for reverse and to move out of park. Once in gear, you can just pull back to toggle between L and D and push forward and hold for N (or pull again for D).

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I push forward twice. Sometimes with thumb button in, sometimes not. It seems to alternate from on drive to next whether holding thumb button in is the ticket or not. I will have to observe whether i am shifting from D, L or P
It's a timing thing. You have to push the lever forward and hold it there for about half a second or so. Just pushing and immediately releasing won't do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts