Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

First post and I'm not even a Bolt owner quite yet. I'm in process of getting a 2019 Bolt LT from a dealership here in Albuquerque NM, and there are a number of issues concerning me. I went to the dealership a couple weeks ago to look at a car in their inventory that was advertised on their website. They said it had just sold -- I know the vehicle truly was there a couple days earlier, as someone else I know had looked at it then, but bought a different Bolt. The dealership worked up a deal for me on another similar car from a small-town dealer a couple hundred miles away. Reasonable price and terms, just a wait a couple days for them to bring it in.

So after a week's worth of delays, they sent somebody to drive it in from the other town. In the course of doing so, the driver completely discharged the battery 8-10 miles shy of getting home. Had to be towed in the rest of the way. I can't believe that:
1) This is somehow preferable transport for a new vehicle instead of flat-bedding it
2) They didn't think to plan out the trip with a charging stop along the way.

The question is, on what terms should I consider accepting this vehicle now? Should I consider the battery damaged, make them replace it? Or will warranty sufficiently cover it if there is significant problem with it? I plan to look at it later today, ask them for the fullest battery diagnostic they can run on it, and see what they have to offer me, all things considered.

Any recommendations from the Gallery? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
The battery is probably fine. You won't get them to replace it or do really anything to satisfy your concerns because they can simply sell to someone else who doesn't know the history.

Whoever ran it out could have made the trip had they just driven like 5 mph slower on the highway.

How did you find out the whole story anyhow? I'm surprised the dealer let you know anything at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The salesman has been increasingly apologetic and more open with information after delaying as many times as they have over transfer issues. I was supposed to go in to close on it earlier today. They had to delay me once again until 5 tonight in order to recharge, run diagnostics, detail, etc. to make it ready. It's been kinda crazy.

I'm going in in a bit to at least look at it and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
While one can understand your anxiety, I have it from a Bolt engineer, "Nothing an owner/operator can do in normal operation can damage the Bolt battery. Running it flat is not recommended, just as running out of fuel in an ICE is not recommended. However, we have to design the system so there will be no permanent damage. Having said that it's more difficult with ICEs, as some owners will keep cranking a dry fuel pump. The Bolt system is pretty idiot proof."

jack vines

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jack, good to hear that -- designed-in protections had been something I had considered, but couldn't find much to confirm it quickly up to this point.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
did they drive it up from Las Cruces? noticed a white LT in their inventory just the other day.

the good news, is they tested the low end of the battery. leaving it low would be the problem. I don't know if the Bolt's battery management system has a low end leveling of their cells. I've read that its actually can be a benefit if done once in awhile for the cells to balance on the low end as well to fully charge so the BMS can level at the top.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I don't know if the Bolt's battery management system has a low end leveling of their cells. I've read that its actually can be a benefit if done once in awhile for the cells to balance on the low end as well to fully charge so the BMS can level at the top.
You can either top balance cells, or bottom balance them It is not possible to do both. DIY builders, who don't want to spring for a pricey BMS will bottom balance their cells first, and then limit their charge to below 4.2 volts per cell. Some battery tool makers use bottom balancing because they know users typically run them until they stop working, so bottom balancing is best and easiest for them. No OEM car makers do bottom balancing

·
Registered
73 Posts
To make up for all the hassle, if they offer you a Genuine Chevy Bolt windshield sun shade as a "freebie", tell them to keep it. The sun shade is worthless. It is way too heavy, too bulky, and sags out of place when it gets hot.

The "All Weather" rubber floor mats also suck.

The "All Weather" rubber trunk cargo mat is not too bad, so try to score that instead. The optional false trunk floor kit, if free, would also be OK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the input -- I went in and got a pretty good price reduction due to the added miles they drove it to transfer it. I'm less concerned about the battery after the responses I got earlier in this thread. Looking forward to getting it fully set up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts