Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that if you charge often, a few miles each time, instead of waiting for the battery to go low first can negatively affect the battery performance like lowering the capacity. Is that the truth or myth? What I do is whenever I come home and although the battery still has around 200 miles and there'll be no long trip the next day, I will plug it in to my 240 Volt outlet anyway.
Thanks for your answer.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
This has been extensively discussed. The battery is happiest around 60% charge, so whatever you do to keep it around that level will preserve longevity. Use hilltop reserve to prevent the car from fully charging, and plug in before you get too low. Don't sweat it if you need to fully charge sometimes, either.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I think it's not worth worrying about.

There was a thread on Reddit where someone has had a Bolt for a year and put more than 36,000 miles on it, doing a commute of 140 mile roundtrip 4-5 times a week. My guess is that that person is not using Hilltop reserve. They report no apparent degradation of the battery.

Myself, I use Hilltop reserve because it gives you maximum regen from the moment you set out, but other than that I'm trying not to worry. The GM folks have said repeatedly “don't worry, just charge it”. I charge it every day —*it's just easier to have a simple habit.

Really hot weather, or lots of fast charging, are probably more concerns.

But basically just enjoy your Bolt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts