Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Do drive the car normally and don't sacrifice comfort, but remember that many of the things people do to extend range will also save energy and reduce your cost of operation. So use the seat heaters when it is cold so you can set the HVAC temperature lower and still be comfortable. Lower the fan speed a bit from what auto mode selects. Use the charge timer so your car only warms the battery just before you need to use it and not all the time. Set the charge target to 90% or less even after the battery gets replaced so you always have full regen available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I read a lot about turning off Auto Climate Control, not using heat, A/C, keeping below the speed limit, turning off the radio and screen etc. Mostly to the point of increasing range.

But is there anything more to it? Will driving conservatively, not using all the accessories, prolong battery life? Will the other parts of the car last longer?

I ask, because my daily commute is 12 miles. If I go a little further, I may drive 20 miles a day. And I think I've only ever used a fast charger once in a year - and that was getting the car home from the dealer 300 miles away. My office has free Level 2 charging. And the car is owned by GM (it's a lease)

In my situation, what REAL benefit will I derive not driving the car in a way that is comfortable to me?
You are in the same boat I am; I rarely take trips over 50 miles. I just plan on charging the night before if we should have to travel more than what the current charge level will do. Living in the south I am not going to turn the air off in the summer and even though it doesn’t get that cold I’m not going to sit in the cold either.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I don't run the AC really cold in summer but it hasn't seemed to be much of an issue on e-mpg.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For identical 330 km highway trips last spring / summer, I actually had more charge left at the end on a 25°C day with the AC set to 21°C than on a 15°C day with both heat and AC shut off.

·
Registered
425 Posts
For identical 330 km highway trips last spring / summer, I actually had more charge left at the end on a 25°C day with the AC set to 21°C than on a 15°C day with both heat and AC shut off.
Wind can be a cause, but also the tire pressure comes in place. At 15C you might have, let’s say for the sake of the discussion 38 PSI, at 25C you could have around 42 PSI or more. Just from that, you have less friction which added to a "thinner air" (less resistance) IMO, can very well explain what you saw.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you are not chirping the tires off the line every time then you are missing out. Put it in L and Sport mode, and have fun with the 1 pedal. And yes my 2013 Leaf, I was using no heat, speed limits, whatever needed to meet my commute, the appeal of the Bolt was abundant range to leave climate control on Auto, and drive as I like.
I put Crossclimate 2 tires on mine an there's no chirp anymore.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
443 Posts
If you are not chirping the tires off the line every time then you are missing out. Put it in L and Sport mode, and have fun with the 1 pedal. And yes my 2013 Leaf, I was using no heat, speed limits, whatever needed to meet my commute, the appeal of the Bolt was abundant range to leave climate control on Auto, and drive as I like.
This ^^^^^^^I agree with!

Should I drive and use my Bolt like a normal car?
The answer is YES and NO
YES, you should turn on everything you normally use in any other car, the only time I start turning things off if I think I will not make it home before I run out of Ejuice.
NO, don't drive it like a gasser, Use its torque and quickness to your advantage, get in front of all other stinkers oil burners. electricity is cheap. USE it! Get some!
I will repeat it again, Thank you GM for making this car a zippy fast little bugger! and not making this car a slowpoke EV.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No, just drive it like its the awesome car that it is.

I'm averaging 2 miles/kwhr right now because I floor the **** out of the car at every stop light and crank the heat up to 80F because I have a short 20 mile/day commute. Well, sometimes I have to drive an hour or so to a job site. But you know what? The battery is fine even when you drive it like its a Lambo.

I should add that my original battery, which was recently replaced, had less than 1% battery degradation after 5 years and 55,000 miles. I'm not worried about the battery anymore.

·
Administrator
3,165 Posts

I read a lot about turning off Auto Climate Control, not using heat, A/C, keeping below the speed limit, turning off the radio and screen etc. Mostly to the point of increasing range.

But is there anything more to it? Will driving conservatively, not using all the accessories, prolong battery life? Will the other parts of the car last longer?

I ask, because my daily commute is 12 miles. If I go a little further, I may drive 20 miles a day. And I think I've only ever used a fast charger once in a year - and that was getting the car home from the dealer 300 miles away. My office has free Level 2 charging. And the car is owned by GM (it's a lease)

In my situation, what REAL benefit will I derive not driving the car in a way that is comfortable to me?
Yes...and no.

I would argue the Bolt is a "Normal" car, but if you mean vs an ICE, the primary difference should be to "refuel" differently. Sure, charging vs pumping gas is different, but the pattern in an ICE is to fill the tank, drive to near empty, refill. With an EV, you should avoid deep cycling the batteries, charge more often but for shorter cycles.

Set the Target Charge Level or Hilltop Reserve (depending on model year) to prevent 100% charge on a daily basis, but don't let the charge level get low like an ICE.

With a 20 mile per day use pattern, I would be tempted to charge every 2-3 days, and in winter daily overnight plugged in to keep the battery temps regulated. The recall advice of keeping SOC between 30-90% is probably good advice for any EV. SOC outside of this range will tend to cause more expansion of the cells and faster failure or degradation. I would argue this is a good practice for any EV with Li Ion batteries.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Drive it like you stole it. Unless you did steal it, then drive it more cautiously so as to not attract attention.
Funny thing - I live in the car theft capital in the US, Portland. We are averaging 1,000 cars stolen per month these days, I know that LA has more stolen cars thatn we do, but we have the most per capita.

Anyways, I looked up the stats on our police website, which is barely staffed, probably why we have such a high theft rate, and there have actually been ZERO stolen Chevy Bolts in the past 2 years! Thats a huge win. Almost every other make/model car has been stolen here. Although, the most were Toyotas, Hondas and Subarus (late models).

I'm banking on Onstar to keep it not stolen, haha.

I did however wake up one morning with a dude under my car with a dewalt grinder trying to find my catalytic converter. He didn't like my shotgun very much. :(

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
443 Posts
Funny thing - I live in the car theft capital in the US, Portland. We are averaging 1,000 cars stolen per month these days, I know that LA has more stolen cars thatn we do, but we have the most per capita.

Anyways, I looked up the stats on our police website, which is barely staffed, probably why we have such a high theft rate, and there have actually been ZERO stolen Chevy Bolts in the past 2 years! Thats a huge win. Almost every other make/model car has been stolen here. Although, the most were Toyotas, Hondas and Subarus (late models).

I did however wake up one morning with a dude under my car with a dewalt grinder trying to find my catalytic converter. He didn't like my shotgun very much. :(
LOL.. you get to keep a shotgun in Portland? I thought it was outlawed everywhere but in Texas :) ( just kidding)

·
Registered
202 Posts

Definitively. Though I've noticed that the fuel tank filler pipe of the Bolt seems to have some design issues as it leaks a lot of fuel at the gas station. I've tried going with higher octane fuel, no luck there.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts

Expand the search to nationwide, I really don't think any Bolt has been stolen.

There are cases of rideshare drivers getting car jacked. Another reason to drive a Bolt. Or maybe get 2 and rotate them... one charging at home and one on the road. :)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts