Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On March 9, I visited my local Chevy dealer and said I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy a Bolt or not.
The 19 inch wide seats are kind of narrow, and I'm not sure about no Navigation, relying on Android Auto.

I like my Leaf enough, and my round trip commute is only 65 miles, so range was only an issue when it snowed for a week or two.

The sales guy says just order one exactly how you want it, and then when it come in, you can decide if you want it.

Well, the Kinectic Blue Premier with all the options is coming on on May 2 and should be ready for delivery by May 10 or maybe earlier. I have to hurry up and make up my mind.

Who is so happy with their Bolt that they never want to look back, and who might not buy one again.

We would probably keep the low mileage Leaf that isn't worth much for my wife to drive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After two Leafs, happy with Bolt

My wife and I have gone through leasing two Leafs (a 2012 and 2015 model) and we have money down for a Tesla Model 3. With the 2017 Leaf being a non-starter and the 2018 specs absent, we decided on a 2017 Bolt. We may, or may not follow through on the deposit for the 2018/2019 Model 3. So far, the Chevy Bolt is good, really good. Size and range meets our needs very well and it now is an open question regarding the Tesla Model 3. We suspect that the Tesla 3 will outclass the Chevy Bolt, but it is not an easy decision at this point. That's our 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the hatchback configuration, so waiting for Tesla Model 3 not really a distraction for me. Lots of owners talking about rattles and mirrors deteriorating real early, but maybe that was just the early builds. Mine will have manufacture date in April 2017 if I get it.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I'm thrilled with mine so far. It would take a fair amount for me to swear off it and regret the day. To me, owning an electric vehicle is an unchartered adventure and I expect pitfalls. If I payed this much for an ICE car, my expectations would be much higher. Having said that, I have had zero issues with my Bolt so far.

I think you should get one if the car works for you. Does it fit your lifestyle? Are you OK with the way it looks? Have you test driven it and are you OK with the seats? Be sure on this last point because there are apparently people here that test drove the car and talked themselves into it and later had regrets due to the seats. I test drove and the seats were never a problem for me, but every person is different.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Google Maps in Bolt & Build Quality

Dear NoMo, I really like my Bolt. Have not found a single build defect or issue, noting your concern re: Tesla quality (I wish them well...). Moreover, speaking to another of your concerns, am delighted with the integration between my Bolt and my Android phone, with the hands-free calling and map functions.

Two reasons to prefer the mapping function in your phone (e.g. Google Maps) over a built-in system:

- The Google Maps system is constantly being updated. Recent changes are reflected in your driving experience. It's really a simple connection to the Bolt, with clear interface, and use of the main center screen.
- Low cost ($0 directly; am sure Google makes money off the Google Maps data it accrues). No yearly or quarterly fee to the map maker company.

I have nearby relatives whose Lexus has a built-in navigation system that has to be updated (for $$) periodically and is clunky to use. Google Maps is both more up to date and better. I wouldn't think the lack of an in-built system to be a factor against getting the Bolt unless you don't have or don't use a smartphone.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ditto re. the nav system. Why buy a built-in that's going to be obsolete in a year or two, with updates left to the whim of the manufacturer..

I've tried many nav apps and find the Apple carplay w/Siri w/Apple maps app is very very good. Haven't yet determined how much data the thing chews up.

IMO if an individual checks out the Bolt and test drives it. And is still undecided. Should probably wait on it or go for something else.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I'm exceedingly happy with my Premier!

I got the "Driver Confidence II" package, so the safety features are top notch. The "upgraded" Bose sound system is okay- not outstanding though. I actually expected a bit better coming from Bose, but to get the DC2 package you have to get the Bose upgrade.

It's super fun to drive, I keep it in Low and use the regen paddle on the steering wheel... it's like driving a street legal go-cart :D

I've found one defect in the whole car... it's in the infotainment system.
A few of my radio station presets get skipped over when using the up/down feature, two of them don't even tune in with direct touches via the touchscreen. It's a minor inconvenience, and I still have 15 working presets to use. Maybe when the next infotainment software update comes out I'll get it fixed.

I've used the Android Auto nav/maps a few times now... it's outstanding.... it does show traffic BTW.
I have a nice Garmin GPS with lifetime maps and traffic... I doubt I'll use it any longer.
My data usage for a day (two 45-min trips) with Android Auto Nav was 0.06GB.

For long trips we have three ICE vehicles, so long range isn't a concern for me. My daily work commute is 50 miles round trip... with a L2 charger at work and home.

Talk about ironies... since I've had my Bolt (2.5 work weeks now) I haven't plugged it in at home yet.
When I arrive home from work where I charge for free at the ChargePoint station- I have 200+ miles remaining for the 25mi trip back to work the next morning. After my full charge Friday at work, I drove all weekend without plugging in at home.. when I arrived at work on Monday morning for a recharge I had over 150mi range left.
I expect to see my electric bill actually go down with the Bolt vs. when I had the Volt which I had to plug in every day.
So I switched from a plug-in to full electric and my electric bill at home will go down :eek:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Should you order a Bolt? Yes, now that I have my order number!! LOL

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
At NY-Rob's request, discussion of Rob's radio issue has been moved to it's own thread in Technical Discussion called "NY-Rob's Radio Issue".

Please carry on with discussion here about the OP's quandary. My 2 cents- Yes, buy a Bolt. :D

·
Registered
639 Posts
Should you order a Bolt? Yes, now that I have my order number!! LOL
Just the overall confidence and positive feedback of the Bolt so early into its release is enough to motivate me once i'm ready to pull the trigger. Not often do you see this big a turn out for a completely new product. Chevy hit this one on the nail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts