Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

Should I join the Chevrolet-DTE charging time control program?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Well, looks like you have enough at 53% for another day of commute either way, so should be fine leaving it alone and see what happens. :)

If it starts at beginning of EV TOU and stops at 1am, looks like the utility actually prefers you to charge late night instead of early morning. Could be for 2 reasons... 1) ensure if power goes out, you are not affected and/or 2) they'd prefer to keep the plants running to 1 am and ramp back up 6am than to ramp down then ramping back up at 4am.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well, looks like you have enough at 53% for another day of commute either way, so should be fine leaving it alone and see what happens. :)

If it starts at beginning of EV TOU and stops at 1am, looks like the utility actually prefers you to charge late night instead of early morning. Could be for 2 reasons... 1) ensure if power goes out, you are not affected and/or 2) they'd prefer to keep the plants running to 1 am and ramp back up 6am than to ramp down then ramping back up at 4am.
We'll find out when it actually starts charging. I still wonder what would have happened if I hadn't turned the departure time and utility rate charge settings back on. I may have to test that next time.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update:

Ok, so something went wrong. I woke up at 6:30 AM, and the Bolt had not started charging at all. On the vehicle, the status was "delayed charging," and there was the "Charging interrupted or overridden" notification.

What I think happened is that the system does not want departure time charging turned on, and the time frame given (1:35 - 7:30 AM) is simply a period when charging is blocked (like a blackout period). It assumes the Bolt will charge immediately, and just calculates whether there's enough time outside the blackout period to reach your target charge level by your departure time.

In other words, when you give Chevy your departure times during the sign up process, it's not setting up "true" departure time charging. It's just an endpoint that Chevy uses to estimate if you have enough time to charge outside the blackout period.

Because I manually turned departure time charging back on, my car wasn't going to start charging until about 4:30 AM. However, that was inside the blackout period, so charging didn't actually start. This program isn't "smart enough" to calculate new charging start times for each participant based on their vehicle settings and the DTE blackout period.

So, if I want to maintain utility rate charging, I may have to control the schedule from the Juicebox instead of from the vehicle. (Utility rate charging on the vehicle also requires departure time charging.)

I was able to get the car to start charging, but I ended up trying everything: unplugging and plugging back in, replying "No" to the text message, changing the energy settings on the car, starting and stopping the car, starting the car and putting it into gear then stopping, etc. I don't know what actually got the car to start charging, but I do know that simply unplugging and plugging back in didn't work. The text message might have worked, but not immediately, so I kept trying other things.

I'll contact Chevrolet to inform them of what happened and clarify if my interpretation is correct (do not use the vehicle's departure time charging with this program). If I get another alert during my TOU hours, and I don't need the charge, I'll try setting the TOU schedule on the Juicebox and see what happens.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update: I received a response from Chevrolet as follows:

"Thank you for your email. Currently the program is designed to revert your vehicle settings back to Immediate charge, and manage your charging based upon the preferences you input in the Enrollment Portal + the Demand Response signals we receive from DTE.

As such, the DR program won't work properly with the settings on your vehicle and coming from the EVSE. We believe this is why you are seeing issues. If you would rather not participate in this DR program because of this, please visit the Enrollment Portal and you can unenroll. Apologies for any confusion.

Thank you."

So it sounds like I can't schedule utility rate charging and participate in peak events that occur during my TOU hours. I'm not sure if I'll cancel, or continue to participate and just decline peak events during my TOU hours, or do something else (like manually plug in after 19:30).

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Update: I received a response from Chevrolet as follows:

"Thank you for your email. Currently the program is designed to revert your vehicle settings back to Immediate charge, and manage your charging based upon the preferences you input in the Enrollment Portal + the Demand Response signals we receive from DTE.

As such, the DR program won't work properly with the settings on your vehicle and coming from the EVSE. We believe this is why you are seeing issues. If you would rather not participate in this DR program because of this, please visit the Enrollment Portal and you can unenroll. Apologies for any confusion.

Thank you."

So it sounds like I can't schedule utility rate charging and participate in peak events that occur during my TOU hours. I'm not sure if I'll cancel, or continue to participate and just decline peak events during my TOU hours, or do something else (like manually plug in after 19:30).
Well, on Immediate Charging mode, the smart charger will tell the car when it can charge, right? Why would that not work?

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, on Immediate Charging mode, the smart charger will tell the car when it can charge, right? Why would that not work?
Looking back on what happened, I received the text about the 01:35 to 07:30 peak event after I had plugged in. I wonder if Chevy calculates whether I have enough time to reach my target charge level when I plug in, or if they use that plug-in event in some way. If so, having the EVSE delay charging may make that calculation inaccurate, and I would have to do the math.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Was your smart charger on scheduled charging then? I thought your smart charger was on immediate and car was on departure charging?

It would not be bad to set the smart charger to just start charging at midnight.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Was your smart charger on scheduled charging then? I thought your smart charger was on immediate and car was on departure charging?

It would not be bad to set the smart charger to just start charging at midnight.
Correct - departure time charging was set on the vehicle, but the EVSE was set to immediate. I could try setting up a schedule on the EVSE (despite the warning from customer service), but it probably means I can't rely on the notification from Chevy whether I actually do have enough time to reach my target charge level during an event.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Solution!

Electrek: Here’s what happened when a Tesla owner built a robot to plug in his car.

Reactions: liuelson

·
Registered
4,375 Posts

Talks about V1G to reduce cost for the utility...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts