Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Good read, thanks for offering it. Pretty much sums up what most of us understand already. Battery aging
and capacity reduction are complex interactions that are dependent on each other and hard to sort out in
in the lab never the less there are serval known quantities that present themselves as prime candidates for diminished performance. Long storage periods at high SOC is one of them. Add in high temperatures to this and aging gets worse. Going from very low to very high SOC (delta SOC) diminishes battery life. A SOC greater than 80% show advanced acceleration of aging. Most aging occurs at the negative electrode. The formation of the Solid Electrode Interphase at the negative electrode is necessary and good but over time
and in extreme states of charge it can crack and cause electrode exfoliation and gas bubbles which impede
electron transfer due to surface area loss and the resulting high impedance.

My take away: high heat, high state of charge, high cycles from very low to very high SOC, >80% for long periods all contribute to battery capacity loss.

As adults, we all can do what we want but those are the facts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lol true TexBolt I did read the owners manual a while back if remember correctly it didn't say to only charge to a particular %. I was just curious how this might impact rang over time. Thanks for your input
I have almost 10,000 miles on my 2019 and I charge to 100% almost daily. Here is a snapshot of last night's charge

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I have almost 10,000 miles on my 2019 and I charge to 100% almost daily. Here is a snapshot of last night's charge View attachment 29815
I'm curious how are you charging? Do you use the factory cable at 110 volts or 220 volts or do you have a home charging station,and what amps are you charging.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts