Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

So I've been eyeing a Chevy Bolt and am at the crossroads of making a decision.

I'm curious of other's thoughts on my driving routine and how it might affect range.

I commute 62 miles each way to work five days a week, for a grand total of ~700 miles a week, not including around town driving on the weekend. My commute to work is 100% on a flat freeway (75-80mpg). I plan to use a level 2 charger to top off the Bolt each evening.

I average about 20,000 miles every six months. Should I be concerned with this amount of driving on the Bolt? Does anyone else have similar driving habits and can share insight on range of this sort (flat, freeway, cruising 75-80mph)? I understand that the battery warranty will be over after 2.5 years of this amount of driving.

My significant other thinks (and loves) the Subaru Crosstrek, but I'm skeptical since it in the long run will cost me more (since in California the Bolt has many rebates), has poor MPG, and worries me regarding tire dread with AWDs. Plus it lacks all the bells and whistles, including the speed of the Bolt.

Any insight would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is well within the capabilities of the Bolt. I almost wish I had such a commute.

The level 2 charger will take about 5 hours to recharge overnight. If you forget to plug it in, you can stop briefly at a level 3, or drive much slower the second day.

You will love the car. If you wife takes it for a spin, she will love it too (that may not be a good thing if you don't like driving her car).

·
Registered
195 Posts
:eek:WOW that's a lot of miles. Would be the same for any other car. The Bolt is a solid car. You have the opportunity to get the most bang for your buck and cost savings per mile. The Bolt is perfect for your situation. DO IT!

·
Registered
70 Posts
My commute is 50 miles each way, 90% of it Interstate. People here tend to drive 70+mph with the speed limits at 65. I have taken to driving with my cruise set at 63 and leaving a few minutes earlier. With this approach my range is now at about 4.3 miles per kWh with the AC running in the summer heat. As the weather starts to cool off I hope to see that increase a bit until winter hits. I have 5000 trouble free miles so far and am loving not stopping for fuel, it takes about 4 hours to charge each night on my Juicebox 40 Pro.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
For 62 miles each way, the Bolt should have ample charge and that's taking into account the AC being on. Maybe your significant other will change their mind after a test drive and if you show them the numbers after all the savings?

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Really appreciate the feedback thus far. Performance, price and range make this almost a no brainier.
The Bolt will do your commute no problem with the AC on and going over 70 mph. I pretty much did this commute yesterday. I don't even fully charge my battery as I have it set to "hilltop mode", so I usually start off with about 200 miles in range. Yesterday I returned with 70 still "in the tank".:laugh:

Having said that, you didn't say where you live. If you live in an area of the country where it snows and gets crazy cold, then it might be more challenging. Cold temperatures degrade battery performance and the battery pack will use some of it's power to warm itself. Also the heater is the biggest energy drain in the car. Way more than the AC.

Combine the heater with heated seats, headlights, windshield wipers and toss in a head wind and you might be in trouble. The good news is, the Bolt has excellent information displays that can help you conserve energy if need be and of course for this rare bad day, there is always public charging to give you a bump if needed.

No doubt about it, the Subaru is a get in and go, no worries no matter what, kind of driving experience and at this point in time and no EV can offer you that at any price, but the Bolt comes pretty close. All I can say is, once you start driving electric, you won't want to go back to the ICE.

·
Registered
276 Posts
This seems suspicious...like a made up post for the perfect situation for the Bolt :). Make sure the seats are comfortable and you are good to go.

·
Registered
735 Posts
From what I can make of it you are one of the most ideal candidates to own the Bolt, even some of the responses here seem to suggest that as well. The only other thing I would suggest is a Model 3 but that's a whole nother discussion, lots of it covered here already.

·
Registered
782 Posts
you'll be fine - have fun with the car - once you go electric it hard to go back to a gas car - my secret to EV happiness is a good/fast robust EV charger at home - don't skimp on the charger and then you can charge the car every night and get in "full" every morning - look into any EV charging rates offered by your local power company to minimize the cost to charge the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been getting the 240 mileage/charge expected with some hills. That range seems to be solid.

Beyond that, I think the Bolt is not just a good but an amazing car. It's a shame that it's body is so uninspired. It is much more advanced than it's appearance suggests. It looks like the Fit and Matrix but is a completely different driving experience. I have been tremendously impressed with the thought and design that went into the car. It it like driving an iPhone even if its look is pretty traditional.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow, imagine all the money you will save on gasoline.

The only thing we're not sure of is how the battery will hold up, but you will be covered by the factory warranty.

The only recommendation I have is perhaps I would wait just a tiny bit to see if the upcoming Bolt or other EV's will have adaptive cruise control or better self-driving ability given how much you drive.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
The only recommendation I have is perhaps I would wait just a tiny bit to see if the upcoming Bolt or other EV's will have adaptive cruise control or better self-driving ability given how much you drive.
Well, there's not much for him to choose from in the near future. We know the Model S and Model X has ACC, but that's a lot of coin. We know the Model 3 will have it, but that's a long wait for one that is similarly priced to the Bolt. The upcoming Leaf might have it, but at what cost and how far can that car go? Also how well will those batteries last? The current Leaf is terrible IMO.

Then there are a whole host of "We're gunna builds..." on the horizon, but they are all pretty far out there. The Hyundai Nero and whatever Buick is going to call their version of the Bolt are likely the soonest to market. I bet both these cars will have it, but you'll be waiting as long as the Model 3 if not longer. There is a possibility that the 2018 Bolt may have it, but we'll have to wait until the end of the year to see when they release the specs for 2018.

If ACC is very important to the OP, I suggest waiting until the end of the year to see what comes up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
From what I can make of it you are one of the most ideal candidates to own the Bolt, even some of the responses here seem to suggest that as well. The only other thing I would suggest is a Model 3 but that's a whole nother discussion, lots of it covered here already.
Almost - Ideal would involve free level 2 charging at work ;) I get free L2 charging at work (bring your own EVSE), and have only charged the car at home maybe twice in 2 months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts