Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how to explain.

You know when a mirror starts to "go" ? You get the black bubble on the side?

That is happening on BOTH of my side mirrors on the bottom.
I just started to use the car wash and I am not sure if that is it (can't think of why that would be).

It has been very cold here and we had some snow and rain which then got very cold the next day.

This happening with anyone ?

I will give this another week and then call the dealer so they can order 2 new mirrors and also fix the side assist issue too.
:mad:
car is 2 months old... It also turns out to be a door ding magnet !

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Perhaps the left over water from the carwash has worked its way into the edges of the mirror and froze due to cold weather?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I am thinking, but it SHOULDN"T do that if it was made correctly

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I live in the Pacific Northwest and have been through quite a few touchless car washes already (at least once a month, more recent due to deicer usage) and haven't noticed your issue. I've only had a handful of frozen nights, though, so will probably need to wait another month before the damage (if any) shows.

Sucks but this is what the warranty is for.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, just need to add it to my list of things to be done when I bring it in.
Might just wait a couple more months till Spring to see what else needs fixing ;)

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Well, just need to add it to my list of things to be done when I bring it in.
Might just wait a couple more months till Spring to see what else needs fixing ;)
I guess you guys have had very different new car experiences than we have had. We each had one new car, prior to meeting in the early '70s...no issues with either. Starting our family, we drove used cars for a decade. Since then, the wife has had two new cars, to my one. We had no issues with any of those...no dealer visits..ever.

[edit] I take that back. The wife did have to take her Corolla in to have the exploding air bags replaced. :-(

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only have a few things, Infonet update, side mirror issue listed here, side mirror warning, and now the Down button for the heater is sticking.

Other then that I love it. still getting used to the sound it makes when in L and slowing down, clicking while heat goes on or off, things like that

·
Registered
11 Posts
Exact same side mirror issue here with my Bolt in Ontario. It has been very cold and I noticed both mirrors have the same black spots on the bottom. I am going to wait for some warmer weather until I try to have them replaced unless it gets worse and the mirrors become unusable.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I can post a picture:

Several Ampera E's over here suffer from this as well. Some on both sides. Mine has it only on the right side. No freezing temperatures yet. No damage on the outside of the glass. It appears to be the coating on the back that is peeling off. It was like this when I took delivery.

Dealer has ordered a new glass to replace it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank god I was not the only one !!
It is very slowly getting worse.
I will wait till Spring till I go in as I have to get the mirror alert tape done too. So I will let them order it and then go in.

Hopefully there is nothing else wrong at that point.

This is Obviously a manufacture defect in the mirror making process. Wonder where it came from

I am thinking there will be a recall if they get enough of them.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Been through at least 4 touchless car washes and still no sign like yours (I've been paying attention cause touchless never do justice with my mirrors and I have to finish them off by hand). No freezing temps, though.

BTW, what's the "mirror alert tape"?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same issue both mirrors. Dealer says the part is on backorder. I saw a notice on a service manual site I signed up with. Pretty sure you will either have this problem sooner or later. Here is to hoping like us it is sooner (AKA before the warranty runs out) :).

·
Registered
624 Posts
Same issue both mirrors. Dealer says the part is on backorder. I saw a notice on a service manual site I signed up with. Pretty sure you will either have this problem sooner or later. Here is to hoping like us it is sooner (AKA before the warranty runs out) :).
i can guarantee it will be before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
No sign of side mirror problems so far with my Bolt, which was manufactured in September 2017 and has about 7,000 km and 3 months of driving under its belt.

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Thanks for the link, beeguz. Thankfully it's not too expensive. Maybe post-warranty I can do it myself or have my old mechanic do it for me (much more trustworthy, must better labor rates).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for the link, beeguz. Thankfully it's not too expensive. Maybe post-warranty I can do it myself or have my old mechanic do it for me (much more trustworthy, must better labor rates).
It’s under warranty. Happened to my drivers side rear view mirror. Took it in and they fixed it as soon as they got the part in. No big deal just a bad batch of mirrors. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts