Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have this, do you feel you need the wifi connectivity and all the bells and whistles? I am looking to have either this or a Juicebox Pro 40 as my EVSE set up at home. Just wondering if the extra money is worth it or does the Siemens or the Bolt have enough bells and whistles on it that I won't "need" the Wifi connectivity.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFVI92S/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3341940462&pd_rd_wg=KP62G&pf_rd_r=CK1S45J6E7058N303RPK&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B00MFVI92S&pd_rd_w=0jJPd&pf_rd_i=level+2+EVSE&pd_rd_r=6669b69b-8730-4796-8aca-a8ded0ebe96c&ie=UTF8&qid=1519408669&sr=2[/ame]

·
Registered
330 Posts
It somewhat depends on your needs. Where I live power is a flat $0.11 24/7, so no need to schedule charging (which the Bolt has some innate capability to do, but I've never investigated). Also the my chevy app works fine for me and sends texts when charging is complete, so I don't need that either. Others have trouble with the my chevy app and don't get texts. The VC is pretty big if you are planning to carry it with you on trips. That said, I'm happy with the Versicharge and the price is right. I'd probably do it again.

Ron

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have a siemens versacharge. Really, I have come to not care when the car gets done... as long as it 's ready by first thing in the morning. So for me the wifi is pointless. On the other hand, I have a solar system on my house and I installed a current tap to see when the car is charging, but don't check it most days. My power meter however is keeping a record of this so at the end of the year I can see how much I spent on electric.

Oh and beause I'm solar, I scheduled the car to charge from 10am until 5pm (as off peak) and again after 10pm when the power company really is off peak. Because I'm self producing, the power to charge the car during the day never crosses my power company's meter... so. Icall that off peak since it is free power to me.

If you look at my meter web app, click the box at the bottom which says "car usage" and click off grid and solar boxes. http://egauge32835.egaug.es/5A84C/

·
Registered
52 Posts
It somewhat depends on your needs. Where I live power is a flat $0.11 24/7, so no need to schedule charging (which the Bolt has some innate capability to do, but I've never investigated). Also the my chevy app works fine for me and sends texts when charging is complete, so I don't need that either. Others have trouble with the my chevy app and don't get texts. The VC is pretty big if you are planning to carry it with you on trips. That said, I'm happy with the Versicharge and the price is right. I'd probably do it again.

Ron
+1

I have the Siemens unit as well. Other being LOUD when the relay hits, I'm happy with it. No need for wifi.

Reactions: Br4hm4

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also have the Seimens Versicharge. I've had it for 3+ years...first with my e-Golf and now with my Bolt. No problems with it. The scheduled charging is done by the Bolt and I can always check the my chevy app to see if the charging is done. WiFi connectivity for the charger is a bell/whistle that I can do without. Others who have it may say that the data they get from their charger is critical for their ability to analyze blah blah blah.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts