Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked over and over, but I've searched through and found a combo of answers with various options, adapters, places who will convert my cable if I send it in, etc.

Like a lot of you, I was shocked when I saw the 110 plug that comes with the oem cable in the trunk of the Bolt we brought home yesterday. It will actually be enough most of the time for how we use the Bolt, but here is what I need in addition.

I have a Tesla and use their oem plug with the outlet below and it works great. I want to get a cable for the Bolt that will plug into the same outlet (not an adapter for the Bolt 110). Is there a link to some quality choices?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Go here CarCharging.us

If you want to use your Bolt OEM EVSE then you can easily make a 240V adapter for that socket.

Or you can use your Tesla EVSE for the Bolt too, but you need an adapter that costs a few hundred (and it will obviously only work on one car at a time). Or you can get a general purpose J1772 EVSE, JuiceNet is a good one, as is ClipperCreek. I recommend (and have) both, and prefer the ClipperCreek + JuiceNet additions one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Super helpful, thanks a bunch. I just ordered.

Another thought... I have a pretty large solar array and for the Tesla, I set the charging for 11 pm to 6 am to take take advantage of the .04 EV rate from my utility. I'd love to get a y-type adapter (2 to 1) for the 240 above and split the charging between the two vehicles during that EV Rate window -- 3 hours for Bolt, 4 for Tesla. I've looked and have not found such a thing, so let me know if you guys have seen one.

My panel is maxed out, so I don't really have the option of adding another dedicated 240 for the Bolt.

Again, thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Bork. That adapter would allow me to use the Tesla cable for both cars, but I want to have both cars plugged into one 240 outlet at the same time.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Super helpful, thanks a bunch. I just ordered.

Another thought... I have a pretty large solar array and for the Tesla, I set the charging for 11 pm to 6 am to take take advantage of the .04 EV rate from my utility. I'd love to get a y-type adapter (2 to 1) for the 240 above and split the charging between the two vehicles during that EV Rate window -- 3 hours for Bolt, 4 for Tesla. I've looked and have not found such a thing, so let me know if you guys have seen one.

My panel is maxed out, so I don't really have the option of adding another dedicated 240 for the Bolt.

Again, thanks for the thoughts.
I tried googling one into existence. I would think there's such a thing as a 240V switcher. Select A or B side or something like that. Like we used to do with printer ports and still do with HDMI. A switcher would avoid any possibility of simultaneous draw from both vehicles. Tesla makes devices that balance between two or more vehicles. I'll let others give you the details as I'm not up on Tesla lore.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have not found a 240 volt "switch" as you describe - that doesn't mean it doesn't exist - it just means we haven't found it yet - but there is a solution if you're willing to spend some money - and I believe the solution is actually quite a bit better than a simple switch

the Tesla Wall Chargers can do exactly as you request - here is the step by step.

1. buy two Tesla Wall Chargers @ $500 each
2. either extend or replace the NEMA 14-50 plug you already have
3. wire both of the Tesla Wall Chargers to the existing 50 amp circuit
4. network/connect the Tesla Wall Chargers via twisted pair wire using the "shared charging" terminals included inside the wall chargers
5. Set one Tesla Wall charger to 50 amp setting
6. Set the other Tesla Wall charger to "slave" mode
7. purchase the Tesla to J-1772 adapter to use with the Bolt and carry with you in Bolt to use other Tesla L2 chargers you encounter in the wild

once you have this setup you can plug both cars in and they will charge at the same time, and when one car is done the other car will ramp up to higher amp loads since the other car no longer needs the power - they will be "sharing" circuit and never overload the setting indicated in the "master"

once you have this setup you can plug-in two EV's and walk away -the chargers and the cars will figure out how to split/share the load an you don't have to do anything - best solution on the market IMHO.

·
Registered
782 Posts
here is a picture of my exact install as described above in my previous post - this setup routinely charges a Bolt + Tesla sharing 100 amp breaker - but you can dial back the master to be on any size breaker you desire (including your existing 50 amp breaker)…

this setup will charge both cars and requires minimal "thought" while using it - it "just works".

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
Old fashion knife edge double throw switch like you see Dr. Frankenstein use to bring his creations to life. Keep the kids away.

I agree that a 100 amp 240 volt load transfer switch will work fine - but from the description it sounded more like the OP wanted a timer switch or some such

a simple switch will do the trick if you want to manually switch between A & B…

100 amp generator changeover switch
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-100-Amp-240-Volt-Non-Fused-Emergency-Power-Transfer-Switch-TC10323R/100171587

this will do the trick if you want to manually switch between two EVSE's or two NEMA 14-50 plugs - run wire from 50 amp breaker into the switch - and then wire up two NEMA 14-50 plugs on either side (A & B) of the switch - manually throw the switch when you want to have the other car charge.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts