Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my Bolt EV today, and even if there is Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, nothing beats Waze for navigation in my opinion, so a solid, accessible and rotating mount is very important to me (also for theses time where one have to take a conference call with screen sharing when on the road).

Here is my solution: a ball mount base double side taped to the side of screen, with a clamp style phone holder attached to the ball. It is overlap with the screen a tiny bit, but didn’t impede any of the screen functions and it provides a solid mount that you can rotate if needed.

Again for installation make sure you thoroughly clean the surfaces for isopropyl alcohol to remove any contaminants and grease and press the double side tape as hard as you can, as the glue is pressure activated.

Ball mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AYLYWA
Phone Mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J5PS1PG
Or: https://www.amazon.com/BE-Universal-Smartphones-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B01KM1J38G

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
A ball mount is great for getting the perfect angle, but how hard would it be to remove it later on since it's glued down?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Mmmm, I do like ball mounts and the adjustability of them, but putting double sided tape on trim panels like that erks me lol. It doesn't block off any of the screen at all when it's at an ideal angle?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(...)but how hard would it be to remove it later on since it's glued down?
(...)but putting double sided tape on trim panels like that erks me lol. It doesn't block off any of the screen at all when it's at an ideal angle?
Removing double side tape on trim piece is not an issue, you can use a plastic trim removal tool to separate both parts, then isopropyl alcohol to clean up the glue residue if any, never use acetone, that will be leaving some marks.

Well, Beta invites for Waze on Android Auto have been sent out... hopefully meaningful testing will commence shortly... maybe?
I drove a lot in the past 2 years (I'm ranked in the 9000 in Waze in California), I am on Waze Beta program, but so far they have not pushed a beta that support Android Auto.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
^ from reading the linked article- the Android Auto Beta Trial invites went out- but the app hasn't been made available to the beta testers yet.

In any beta trial I've participated in... you agree to a NDA anyway, so unless testers get permission to post about their findings- we won't hear much about how it's performing till its in RC form.

·
Registered
735 Posts
^ from reading the linked article- the Android Auto Beta Trial invites went out- but the app hasn't been made available to the beta testers yet.

In any beta trial I've participated in... you agree to a NDA anyway, so unless testers get permission to post about their findings- we won't hear much about how it's performing till its in RC form.
Very true and at this rate the only way we can get an answer or thoughts into whats going on is from some expert on these Android systems. But of course not many people care about that, we just want to know when it will drop :D

I'm not that much of a tech geek.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Removing double side tape on trim piece is not an issue, you can use a plastic trim removal tool to separate both parts, then isopropyl alcohol to clean up the glue residue if any, never use acetone, that will be leaving some marks.

I drove a lot in the past 2 years (I'm ranked in the 9000 in Waze in California), I am on Waze Beta program, but so far they have not pushed a beta that support Android Auto.
Truee... are you using 3m double sided adhesive tape or are you using something a little less sticky ??

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that Waze is available for Android Auto I do not need the high phone mount anymore, so I removed it, as there was a lot of concerns about the double side tape and the potential glue left over, I took some pictures detailing the process.

First I use a plastic trim removal tool to pry the Ball mount from the dash:

As you can see the tape held pretty well. I use my finger to “roll” the glue into a ball and remove most of it:

Once removed there was some glue residue on the dash that was cleaned with isopropyl alcohol:

Da Ta. Clean dash as if nothing even happened:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
isopropyl alcohol is just rubbing alcohol right? I may need to borrow your method to remove an old phone mount from another car. Never thought to use a trim remover to pry it off, just tried brute force with my fingers...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Someone could probably do a similar removal just using a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive and then a either their hands or something soft to pry with. Not everyone will have access to or even want to buy an automotive interior pry tool. Has to be something from the kitchen drawer we can use :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use cap holders to mount my 7$ flexible phone holder. Just put a hockey puck inside any cap hole and easily attach any phone holder.
And so easy to remove it if needed, just take the puck out. And very easy to operate the phone, it's right under the infotainment display.
And the phone is close to USB, so I can connect it with no long cables.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
I use cap holders to mount my 7$ flexible phone holder. Just put a hockey puck inside any cap hole and easily attach any phone holder.
And so easy to remove it if needed, just take the puck out. And very easy to operate the phone, it's right under the infotainment display.
And the phone is close to USB, so I can connect it with no long cables.
I love how close it is to the shifter which is a very natural position, similar logic to how equipment is mounted in cop cars. How sturdy is that mount?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love how close it is to the shifter which is a very natural position, similar logic to how equipment is mounted in cop cars. How sturdy is that mount?
I would say that everything is sitting very well. I've been using this way for more then two months with no problem.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I went back and forth with different mounts.

I'm currently using this:

I took a single laminate floor installation wedge and cut it down to to fit on the back of this magnetic phone holder from Amazon:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-WizGear-Universal-Rectangle-Dashboard/dp/B01M0DUVZV/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1497639702&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=magnetic+phone+mount&psc=1[/ame]

Add a piece of 3M VHB double sided tape and secured it to the button blanks under the screen. Here's the end result. With the wedge underneath, the phone is angled towards me more. Of course, I was able to tilt it up slightly too by taking the wedge to the grinder for that "perfect" angle.

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

·
Registered
10 Posts
TK, looks interesting but not sure how the phone sits on that mount? Magnets? And you view your phone in landscape mode?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts