Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice, I'll have to check that out, about to add the Bolt to Sirus account. Might be easier to just add it tho, don't always plug in my phone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is it possible to get Sirius XM in the car via satellite WITHOUT paying for Onstar, which I will never use? And can the price be negotiated?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Is it possible to get Sirius XM in the car via satellite WITHOUT paying for Onstar, which I will never use?
Yes, they are unrelated services.
SXM is satellite based.
Onstar in cell network based.

Can the price be negotiated?
Yes, if you wait them out to near or past when your trial date ends... you can get a 50% or better discount :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Years ago when I subscribed to SiriusXM, they did not offer app streaming services unless you have a subscription to a radio service. I got rid of SiriusXM and just use apple music and Google play music which I find better also because I can play any song on demand.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Years ago when I subscribed to SiriusXM, they did not offer app streaming services unless you have a subscription to a radio service. I got rid of SiriusXM and just use apple music and Google play music which I find better also because I can play any song on demand.
It's frustrating because here when you get far enough out of the cities to remote, mountainous British Columbia you either have SiriusXM cutting out due to loosing line-of-sight to the satellite or you have the Internet cutting out due to an absence of cellular service. The only reliable source of music is what's on my phone and USB stick, and while I love that stuff it's not novel any more...

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Sirius is the most disreputable company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. NEVER NEVER give them your credit card number!
I’ve never had any issue with Sirius XM billing, but they will automatically renew the service at the end of any special offer at full price unless you call to cancel. It’s a bit of a pain, but I call a few days before renewal time and ask to either renew at the same special offer rate, or cancel. That cuts through all the needless back and forth with the sales rep.

Also, if you’re near the end of any introductory free trial, call and cancel. A few weeks later a very low renewal offers will arrive in the mail. Just be sure to note the renewal date, or you will be charged full price when the offer period expires.

Sirius faces lots of competition from free streaming services, especially now that Android Auto and CarPlay are getting widely adopted. Growth is slowing, so they’re willing to make deeply discounted offers to keep customers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As always, this forum's members have a lot of very helpful information. Thanks! I will cancel my Sirius XM at the end of the trial and see what they come up with to lure me back.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
As always, this forum's members have a lot of very helpful information. Thanks! I will cancel my Sirius XM at the end of the trial and see what they come up with to lure me back.
That 12 months for $60 offer posted earlier in this thread is about the best I’ve seen, and it’s a lot less hassle than a short term offer.

Make sure you ask what the full price will be, as Sirius sometimes tries to add-in extra licensing fees, which to me is dishonest. What Sirius pays to license music is just another business cost, I don’t see any reason why they shouldn’t bundle it into the price offer.

I guess they got that idea from the cable companies.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's frustrating because here when you get far enough out of the cities to remote, mountainous British Columbia you either have SiriusXM cutting out due to loosing line-of-sight to the satellite or you have the Internet cutting out due to an absence of cellular service.
Or too far into the city. I had SXM cutting out in downtown Richmond when I was surrounded by high rise buildings.

Reactions: Sean Nelson

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Or too far into the city. I had SXM cutting out in downtown Richmond when I was surrounded by high rise buildings.
Isn't it an oxymoron to use the words "Richmond" and "high rise buildings" in the same sentence? :eek:
But yeah, tall buildings and even trees are an issue for SXM. Not for cell reception, though.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've had Sirius, then XM, and now SiriusXM for a long time. As is often the case, the merged company is, shall we say, not as customer oriented as the smaller ones. They've removed several music stations that I liked (no commercials) to add completely pointless talk radios where they play commercials constantly. I'd drop them in a heartbeat but my wife insists on keeping them just for the classical station. Now that SiriusXm has bought Pandora, I expect it will only get worse. May faint hope is that they will do away with the requirement to have an over-the-air subscription to get the on line service. With wifi in the car, the over-the-air service is pretty pointless.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Sirius is the most disreputable company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. NEVER NEVER give them your credit card number!
Unfortunately, you have to give them your CC number to start service IIRC.

And, FWIW- they are somewhat underhanded. They put me on "Credit Card Auto-Renew" without my consent and billed my CC for the renewal at "standard" (read FULL!) pricing, again without my consent.
That being said... with one phone call they did refund the full "standard"plan charge and agreed to not keep my CC number on file for future billings.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

And, FWIW- they are somewhat underhanded. They put me on "Credit Card Auto-Renew" without my consent and billed my CC for the renewal at "standard" (read FULL!) pricing, again without my consent.
That being said... with one phone call they did refund the full "standard"plan charge and agreed to not keep my CC number on file for future billings.
I’ve always received communications from Sirius explaining that service will automatically renew at the regular price at the expiration of any special offer. Those notices spell out the expiration date, and include the number to call to cancel or renew.

Sirius counts on subscribers not remembering or bothering to call before that date, which I agree is underhanded. Subscribers also can’t cancel online, another policy that discourages cancellations.

·
Registered
93 Posts

I was with them for over 12 years and each year it was an argument and lying "customer care" reps. I demanded a paper bill and never gave them my credit card again, but had to pay them $1.00 for the paper....another rip-off by this disputable operation. They deserve to go out of business.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ that's why I can't see people going with the 3 or 6 month deals SXM offers... you really want to be dealing with these fools every 90 days?
Not me, life is too short- give me a respectable one year deal then leave me alone!

Back when I had my Volt... SXM %icked me around so much I canceled service and never reinstated it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
About 20 yrs ago I bought a lifetime membership to Sirius. Don’t recall cost but if it was say, $500, then I’ve done well. I currently have a portable Sirius radio and if on a long trip I take it in a vehicle, otherwise it lives attached to the aux input of a desk radio. Requires external antenna and if you want to use vehicle system you have to find a way to get an aux input - something that newer vehicles seem to lack.

My 2006 GMC came w/ onboard XM, this was before merger. Sirius requires a separate subscription for this service and I presume when I take delivery of my 19 Bolt I will find a similar situation. I have no intention of getting a new subscription, my current Sirius subscription, which I now consider as a free subscription, is good enough for my purposes. In my ‘06 I had to tear out 1/2 the dash to access the system and install an input for my Sirius radio. That input also allows me to use iPhone headphone jack as an output to vehicle radio. My ‘06 has no BT capability so this solution works well enough. Looking forward to see what I get with CarPlay.

In all these yrs I did have one problem with Sirius attempting to drop my service because they had on file my long ago expired Visa card. That too awhile to sort out but in the last 10 yrs all has worked well and I have not heard a peep from them except an occasional offer for some upgraded service.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was about to re-up with Sirius when I discovered that my favorite cable news channels are available live streaming on TuneIn Radio. That pretty much cinches it for me; there's nothing I can get on Sirius that isn't available in as good or better form on Pandora or TuneIn. And I don't have to pay extra for it. Thanks for all the information.

·
Registered
739 Posts
........ nothing I can get on Sirius that isn't available in as good or better form on Pandora or TuneIn. And I don't have to pay extra for it. Thanks for all the information.
Sirius took over Pandora.. I use Pandora, but I don't like the ads. I use Sirius because the car has it, and ended up liking it. I wonder what will happen to Pandora now?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts