Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested in the Bolt but here on the east coast it will be a while before we actually see one. Would someone have a picture of a Bolt and something else, nose to nose so I can compare their size, or tell me what other car is about the same length as the Bolt. Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That table helps. The closest thing out there is the Trax. Bolt is slightly shorter in exterior length than Trax, and has less cargo space behind the rear seats. The interior (front and rear) is more or less the same amount of space in my opinion. (We have friends with a Trax, and my parents used to own an Encore which is a twin to the Trax.)

Some of us are waiting/hoping for something larger. Either a pure BEV or a Voltec, in something the size of the new slightly-shrunk Acadia would be perfect for us.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Funny how some journalists react to the size of Bolt. One person (forget where) said it bounces pretty good over “whoop de do’s” on the road surface.

I love that feel. The Trax/Encore does it as well. Buckle yourself in, let the seat bolsters grab and have fun.

Want a modern electrified Magic-wagon ? Think hybrid Pacifica.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't know if the Pacifica is a Magic-wagon, but it is a Mega-wagon, a full-size minivan.

In length, the Bolt is 164" and Pacifica is 204". That's a gigantic difference. Many of us are waiting for something in the middle. (Though I'm really trying to make the Bolt work for us, and as such, considering it to replace the Volt, instead of replacing the family transportation, which is an Equinox at the moment.)

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Here's a comparison of the Bolt EV (top) with the Prius C (bottom). It's actually amazing how similar they are in their space utilization. The Bolt has more headroom and a couple of inches more rear legroom, but it's very close in terms of everything else. The Prius C doesn't have the hidden storage compartment beneath the main load floor, but it does have a spare tire down there which IMHO the Bolt is sorely lacking.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The Prius C doesn't have the hidden storage compartment beneath the main load floor, but it does have a spare tire down there which IMHO the Bolt is sorely lacking.
Dunno. Apparently the Bolt tire seals itself with release-injection of gel coating. If there's been air pressure loss, get out your Tire Inflator (std equip in Canada) and get it back up to pressure. You're back on your way. Meanwhile a Prius would have needed to call for roadside assistance, or get the out the jack & spare tire and start workin on that flat ?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Meanwhile a Prius would have needed to call for roadside assistance, or get the out the jack & spare tire and start workin on that flat ?
Well that's why you have a spare tire in the first place, duh.

It's very nice to have self sealing tires, but they don't guard against all hazards. When I'm driving around the back roads beyond cell coverage I want to be self sufficient, thanks very much.

I expect to buy a Bolt EV, and I expect to find a way to carry a real spare tire in it, self sealing tires be damned.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
So buy a can of the 'fill tire with air and gunk to seal it" stuff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wonder if a full size self sealing tire would fit in the spare well? It will take up space, but it might be a better option than depending on canned sealant. I've also had one of those tire accidents where the sealant wouldn't work.

·
Registered
979 Posts
A couple of different online sources say:

“The [Michelin] engineers created a customized compound and construction that stiffens the tire without degrading comfort. The variation of the Energy Saver All-Season tires going on the Bolt also are self-sealing in the event of a puncture, eliminating the need for a spare or even an inflation kit. That saves weight, which also helps boost range.”

I don’t need / choose not to run snow tires. The Bolt stockers with no spare will be fine with me. Last time I picked up a nail in my 2-year old vehicle with conventional tires, it caused a slow leak. Kal tire fixed it for free in 40 minutes. I concluded there’s some unknown coverage that comes from the tire or vehicle manufacturer.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Shopping around for a better path kit might be a good idea although i'm not sure how much better these can get. Still worth looking since the time it could save you from waiting for roadside assistance and just waiting overall can pay itself over big time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts