Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this 3 times in the last 2 weeks, and not before. I've encountered 3 different cases (both BEV and Hybrid vehicles) where they were parked for long periods at an L2 charging station, sleeping (or just sitting) in their cars. In all cases the weather was temperate (not raining, neither too hot nor too cold), and in an area with indoor/outdoor seating, restaurants, WiFi and other amenities. I can't imagine sitting for several hours, and if you're only going to be there for 15 minutes, you get so little charge, why bother?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I've seen this 3 times in the last 2 weeks, and not before. I've encountered 3 different cases (both BEV and Hybrid vehicles) where they were parked for long periods at an L2 charging station, sleeping (or just sitting) in their cars. In all cases the weather was temperate (not raining, neither too hot nor too cold), and in an area with indoor/outdoor seating, restaurants, WiFi and other amenities. I can't imagine sitting for several hours, and if you're only going to be there for 15 minutes, you get so little charge, why bother?
Well, unless you watch a plug-in for hours, you can't really say if the driver sits inside for hours, or just 10 minutes to reply to the emails :)

I very often use the Bolt as a hotspot; these days, or so I am told, not every public WiFi is safe enough to use.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, unless you watch a plug-in for hours, you can't really say if the driver sits inside for hours, or just 10 minutes to reply to the emails :)

I very often use the Bolt as a hotspot; these days, or so I am told, not every public WiFi is safe enough to use.
A fair point. For brevity's sake, I left out that I was in the area, and curiosity (and a desire to use the charger) led me to check on the spots periodically. Unless they were constantly running back out before every time I checked (and Occam's razor suggests not), they were there the whole time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I sat in my Volt at a charging station one time, I had an hour to kill before an appointment so I just plugged in, sat back, and read a book until it was time to head for my appointment.

Reactions: Jerry Duke

·
Registered
112 Posts
EVs are the perfect vehicle if you are going to be homeless

You can live in climate controlled comfort and look like a socially responsible person instead of a bum camping out in an old ICE beater in the Walmart parking lot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My old Leaf with a 100 mile range had me sitting at a car dealership using their chargers on more than one occasion.

Someday someone will put a 300KW battery in a camper.... Ahh the life of a slacker. Drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon tall boys, grilling hamburger helper patties (without the meat) and watching the sun set over the free charger at the "Wallmarts" parking lot. :)

edit: Gonna start wearing wife beaters now so they are nicely stretched and stained when I'm ready to retire.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Well if you're due for a nap, why not in a climate controlled Bolt? Just lean the seat as far back as it'll go and take a nap. In watched a video of a couple on a road trip in their Tesla and they just slept in the car at night with it plugged in.

If you have a gym membership for showers and don't want to pay for hotels, it actually sounds feasible.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Or, you can scoot the front seats forward, fold down the back seats and put that blow-up air mattress in the back with your favorite pillow! (At my age, we had better be parking next to that all-night gas station or a porta-potty!)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Or, you can scoot the front seats forward, fold down the back seats and put that blow-up air mattress in the back with your favorite pillow! (At my age, we had better be parking next to that all-night gas station or a porta-potty!)
With how common McDonalds locations are along with other fast food places, then those major gym chains, there's so many ways. Hopefully no one here is keeping empty beer bottles around.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Is the Bolt sleepable? At 6'2", I barely had room in a Subaru Legacy, folding the rear seats flat, moving the front passenger seat all the way forward, and reclining the back so it extended the length of the folded rear seats.

I spent almost 2 years doing this in an abandoned parking lot to save money. I'd work 13hr shifts, eat McDonalds for dinner, and get a workout and shower at the gym in the morning. My company paid for my cell phone and the car was paid off. Only expenses were McDonald's, insurance, gas, and my $8/mo 24hr Fitness membership.

Not even bums can out-frugal me.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I can't imagine sitting for several hours, and if you're only going to be there for 15 minutes, you get so little charge, why bother?
I don't know about several hours, but many's the time that I've slept for an hour or two in my while on trips. When you get tired and need to pull over at a rest stop, it's really not that hard. It's one of the reasons I refuse to buy a car unless the front seats fully recline.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have sleeped in the Bolt many times. 6'3 270lbs. Seats fold down flat. Not a problem.

Reactions: redpoint5

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the case of this particular location, once the city started charging for charging, this stopped being a thing. Odd really, because the city seems to have an unofficial policy of not writing a parking ticket for a car that is occupied. I think the uber drivers could still park there and charge and not pay. Note that this stopped long before the pandemic made Uber a less "profitable" proposition.

The charging at these spots isn't prohibitively expensive for California, $1/hour for 7.5 kw, cheaper than my TOU metered power at home, but since that began there are more reliably spots open if one needs them. Tesla opened SC centers in a couple neighboring cities, so considering time value, going there (even with commute time) is probably more effective for those that can access it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Back when I worked in an office, I used to have a weekly "club" activity outside the metro at 6pm. If I left work at 4:30pm, there was too much traffic for me to get there in time. So I would try to find a gap in my afternoon schedule, and drive part-way out of the metro, then stop somewhere with WiFi and work remotely until 5pm. Then continue driving. Sometimes I might find a gap at 3pm, but sometimes my only chance was at 2pm. Then I might be working from a L2 charger (or even a McDonalds parking lot) for 2 hours.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts