Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
So I went back through SuperCharge.info - Tesla opened 49 locations in California in 2019, with 734 outlets. Obviously that's not just oriented at travelers. Meanwhile they sold ~99,500 vehicles in the state over the same period. That's about 1 new supercharging outlet per 12k vehicles sold, and quite a bit less than I expected.

I believe CCS capacity, at least on a plug-per-vehicle basis increased more over the same period - there were about 15-20k CCS vehicles sold (only 27k total non-Tesla) and definitely more than 50 new EA stations at the end of 2019, and those alone added >200 outlets. Granted Tesla had a higher baseline in terms of number of chargers.

So maybe the CCS build-out is actually keeping up (thanks to the still tiny sales of most EVs)?

(Also would appreciate if the Tesla political sniping could go somewhere else - it really doesn't add anything useful to this conversation).
Nationally, Electrify America has an average of 4.5 chargers per site; however, I think that number might be slightly higher for California, which might be closer to 5 chargers per site on average. So those 50 new EA stations might represent closer to 250 plugs.

With that being said, EA represented only a small percentage of the total CCS plugs brought online in California during 2019. Many of the California Energy Commission grant funded sites started to come online in 2019, and even more in early 2020. The average size of these sites appears to be ~3 DC fast chargers per site, so it's likely that, all told, California added closer to 1,000 CCS plugs in 2019 (quite a few came online around the end of the year, so they might technically be 2020 sites).

Just to illustrate how quickly the public charging network has been expanding, I challenged myself to use only charging stations that I've never used before for my last 1,000-mile trip between Northern and Southern California. Given how frequently I have driven those routes for the last three and a half years, that was quite a feat.

·
Registered
688 Posts
As well as GMC Hummer EV.

A delayed reveal is not the same as a delayed launch. Last I heard, they are still working towards the same release date, they just didn't want to have a large gathering of people during a pandemic. Seems like a responsible choice to me.

AFAIK, the only actual delay in GM's EV program is the refreshed Bolt. That will arrive in MY 2022 instead of MY 2021. Even the Bolt EUV is reportedly still on track for release in 2021.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
AFAIK, the only actual delay in GM's EV program is the refreshed Bolt. That will arrive in MY 2022 instead of MY 2021. Even the Bolt EUV is reportedly still on track for release in 2021.
Do you have a link to the story discussing a MY 2022 refresh for the Bolt EV? Last I heard, it would still be the MY 2021.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
as in 20 million?
Yes,

Musk’s new goal: Eventually produce 20 million vehicles a year versus about 400,000 in 2019, based on October 23 conference call comments.
“We want to get Tesla volume to where it is ... replacing 1% of the global fleet over time,” he said “The demand for new cars will rise as the world transitions away from combustion engine vehicles.”

Elon R. Musk -- Founder, Chief Executive Officer & Director

Yeah, absolutely. We want to get the Tesla volume to where it is perhaps somewhere on the order of 1%, replacing 1% of the global fleet over time. That's, I think, the global fleet is pretty big. We think that's a good one to aim for, which is about 20 million vehicles a year, just by the way. But I do think that the demand for new cars will rise as the world transitions away from combustion engine vehicles, just as when people had CRT TVs, there's no cathode ray tube TVs, the sales rate was just basically replacement rate. You wouldn't really buy a new CRT TV unless yours broke.

I find these earnings call transcripts fascinating but I also have a significant investment. If you really want to get a glimpse into the future, I suggest reading these. They are pretty good at hitting their targets lately.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
A delayed reveal is not the same as a delayed launch. Last I heard, they are still working towards the same release date, they just didn't want to have a large gathering of people during a pandemic. Seems like a responsible choice to me.

Agree, but we shall see. I know Tesla would catch holy he11 on this forum whenever they had a delay. Some here even went so far as to write off ever buying a Tesla as they consistently missed projections. They would rather have an inferior product that was available when they said it would be, than something that was actually better than promised even if it were a few months late.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Agree, but we shall see. I know Tesla would catch holy he11 on this forum whenever they had a delay. Some here even went so far as to write off ever buying a Tesla as they consistently missed projections. They would rather have an inferior product that was available when they said it would be, than something that was actually better than promised even if it were a few months late.
Ah, Tesla snobbery in all its grandeuir. Maybe you can give it a break. We all know how you love your Tesla and it is getting old. Got anything new to say?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Do you have a link to the story discussing a MY 2022 refresh for the Bolt EV? Last I heard, it would still be the MY 2021.

"As a result of the current business situation in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have decided to launch the refreshed Bolt EV in 2021 as a 2022 model and the Bolt EUV remains on schedule "

·
Registered
688 Posts
I understand the frustration at the Tesla haters. At the same time, your posts seem to always start on the defensive regarding Tesla. Tesla makes good EVs, no doubt. But they are not the only game in town. There are many of us who believe that Tesla is not actually the "superior product", especially when comparing the same price point.

I considered a Model 3 and a Leaf+ when I bought my Bolt. When I eventually replace the CMax, the Model Y will be on the list, although frankly I like the looks of the Bolt EUV better. I prefer to drive a car, not a computer with wheels.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

"Tech Chronicle reports that there have been no workplace transmissions of the coronavirus since production lines starting moving and employees returned to work last month. Nothing out of the ordinary is circulating at the factory, such as the unusual virus that put the world in a drastic change of lifestyle and general state of unemployment. "

·
Registered
2,271 Posts

"Tech Chronicle reports that there have been no workplace transmissions of the coronavirus since production lines starting moving and employees returned to work last month. Nothing out of the ordinary is circulating at the factory, such as the unusual virus that put the world in a drastic change of lifestyle and general state of unemployment. "
Sorry. A company that quashes unions and has a history of worker abuse and OSHA violations is not exactly a trustworthy source.

It's possible that shelter-in-place orders and factory shutdowns for several weeks were enough to isolate any incidents and prevent new cases, but those decisions really should be coming from impartial health officials, not business owners with a financial stake in "reopening the economy."

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Sorry. A company that quashes unions and has a history of worker abuse and OSHA violations is not exactly a trustworthy source.

It's possible that shelter-in-place orders and factory shutdowns for several weeks were enough to isolate any incidents and prevent new cases, but those decisions really should be coming from impartial health officials, not business owners with a financial stake in "reopening the economy."
Says the person who can work from home and never missed a paycheck.

Keith

PS: Also never missed a paycheck... but I know what it is like and it is a **** of a lot more risk than covid.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Says the person who can work from home and never missed a paycheck.

Keith

PS: Also never missed a paycheck... but I know what it is like and it is a **** of a lot more risk than covid.
While that's true, I've also consistently been voting for politicians who opposed the $5 trillion bailout for wealthy corporations and investors while doing nothing more for taxpayers than sending them $1,200 out of the $18,000 they were billed for those bailouts. I've also consistently supported revising the medical insurance system so that access to medical care is not tied to employment. Unfortunately, a majority of American's haven't been voting that way, so we're living with the results.

Basically, kneecapping health officials in the middle of a pandemic because our social support system is 50 years behind the rest of the developed world doesn't seem like the wisest idea. We pay as much or more in taxes than countries with universal access to healthcare and mandatory paid medical leave, which would apply to shelter-in-place orders.

The bigger concern at this point is, will certain automakers who are trying to use this shutdown to gain a competitive advantage actually make the problem worse and prolong the shutdown? Because it doesn't really matter if GM follows the rules. If Ford and Tesla jump the gun, reopen their factories, and start respreading the virus around their communities, we might be required to prolong not getting a paycheck even longer. We're all on the same team, and we move forward or fall behind together.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
While that's true, I've also consistently been voting for politicians who opposed the $5 trillion bailout for wealthy corporations and investors while doing nothing more for taxpayers than sending them $1,200 out of the $18,000 they were billed for those bailouts. I've also consistently supported revising the medical insurance system so that access to medical care is not tied to employment. Unfortunately, a majority of American's haven't been voting that way, so we're living with the results.

Basically, kneecapping health officials in the middle of a pandemic because our social support system is 50 years behind the rest of the developed world doesn't seem like the wisest idea. We pay as much or more in taxes than countries with universal access to healthcare and mandatory paid medical leave, which would apply to shelter-in-place orders.

The bigger concern at this point is, will certain automakers who are trying to use this shutdown to gain a competitive advantage actually make the problem worse and prolong the shutdown? Because it doesn't really matter if GM follows the rules. If Ford and Tesla jump the gun, reopen their factories, and start respreading the virus around their communities, we might be required to prolong not getting a paycheck even longer. We're all on the same team, and we move forward or fall behind together.
I wish you had never brought politics into this thread...

You voted for the people who make cities burn every time someone gets angry. This latest tragedy (like most of them) took place in a blue state, in a blue county, in a blue city... BLAME THE REPUBLICANS!!!

We have had the largest economic boom in modern history, with the brakes put on by an International, in fact global pandemic... BLAME THE REPUBLICANS!!!

Elon is jumping the gun in California because petty local bureaucrats were holding things up... the majority of the states are no longer in lockdown, and since Ford has zero manufacturing in California as far as I know Ford didn't jump the gun anywhere.

People in California wonder why Tesla will be moving out of California, people outside of California wonder what took Elon so long to figure out which way the wind blows in California.

Keith

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I wish you had never brought politics into this thread...

You voted for the people who make cities burn every time someone gets angry. This latest tragedy (like most of them) took place in a blue state, in a blue county, in a blue city... BLAME THE REPUBLICANS!!!

We have had the largest economic boom in modern history, with the brakes put on by an International, in fact global pandemic... BLAME THE REPUBLICANS!!!

Elon is jumping the gun in California because petty local bureaucrats were holding things up... the majority of the states are no longer in lockdown, and since Ford has zero manufacturing in California as far as I know Ford didn't jump the gun anywhere.

People in California wonder why Tesla will be moving out of California, people outside of California wonder what took Elon so long to figure out which way the wind blows in California.

Keith
See? That's the problem. Public health and safety shouldn't be a political issue, but for some reason, in the United States, it is. Go figure. For what it's worth, both Democrats and Republicans are responsible.

But back to the topic at hand: For better or worse, our current economic and manufacturing situation are going to set EVs and EV development back several years.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Oh, come on, didn't you always enjoy that Corvette guy who spent all his time in the Mustang forums?
I just don't understand it, that's all. I also don't understand the die-hard loyalty to one brand over another. If Tesla actually made a vehicle I wanted more than Chevy (all things considered, especially quality/price/value), then I would buy it. But they don't so I drive a Bolt. Everyone's needs/wants are different so I have no doubt that others could look at the market and choose a Tesla. It's all good.

The way I see it, I want to reduce or eliminate the burning of fossil fuels. To that end, any EV is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

Kind of a new low for you. Putting the UAW's trustworthyness ahead of Musks.

Not a good look if this is where you find morality.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts