Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

101 - 103 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
But I think eventually, maybe not in my lifetime, the supercharger network will be compatible with ALL makes and models as will the public network. It's really the best possible outcome.
There was a time 4 or 5 years ago when this seemed like a critical need. But even with limited coverage and uneven reliability, the EA network has grown enough to create an infrastructure for travel with non-Tesla EVs. Other providers can fill in and supplement that backbone moving forward.

The current example, posted elsewhere on the site, is EA's expansion in Alabama. 3 years ago when I was seriously considering buying a Bolt, there was literally no DCFC stations in the entire state. Now there are two open (Greenville, Auburn), two opening soon (North Mobile, Oxford), and at least two more on the books (Montgomery,Alabaster)

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
There was a time 4 or 5 years ago when this seemed like a critical need. But even with limited coverage and uneven reliability, the EA network has grown enough to create an infrastructure for travel with non-Tesla EVs. Other providers can fill in and supplement that backbone moving forward.

The current example, posted elsewhere on the site, is EA's expansion in Alabama. 3 years ago when I was seriously considering buying a Bolt, there was literally no DCFC stations in the entire state. Now there are two open (Greenville, Auburn), two opening soon (North Mobile, Oxford), and at least two more on the books (Montgomery,Alabaster)

ga2500ev
Yup, I noted when I stopped by the (then new) Kettleman City Supercharger that there was still a significant value in a Supercharger to CCS adapter that Tesla likely could have sold for $1,000 to $1,500 at the time (plus charging for the energy); however, that window was rapidly closing, and the adapter would become increasingly less valuable and less in demand. That was prior even to Electrify America's rapid build out, and as you noted, with that as a backbone for travel around the country, the demand for Supercharger to CCS adapter is so low at this point that Tesla probably couldn't recoup their money on it. Even at $500 a piece, it would be extremely hard to justify now. I guess short shorts are just far more profitable.

101 - 103 of 103 Posts