Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the fires keep coming, I want to ensure I know early enough about the danger.

I have installed Heat Sensor in my garage. It is interconnected to all other smoke and CO alarms at home.

However, what I am afraid of is alarm when no one is home.

Hence I am looking for suggestions for a system that would send me a notification to my phone.

Do you have any clues?
Mine charging kind of fits the fires scheme. Although, the charging is set to finish minutes before I leave, so if the fire starts shortly after finished charging, then most likely it will be outside.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I am not sure heat sensor is needed. I think if it burns, it will smoke first. The guy smelled smoke before the car caught fire.
If you want to detect smoke, install smoke detector above the car and put a 'ring/barrier' around the detector to ensure smoke would collect and trips the alarm.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Since the fires keep coming, I want to ensure I know early enough about the danger.

I have installed Heat Sensor in my garage. It is interconnected to all other smoke and CO alarms at home.

Hence I am looking for suggestions for a system that would send me a notification to my phone.

Do you have any clues?
Mine charging kind of fits the fires scheme. Although, the charging is set to finish minutes before I leave, so if the fire starts shortly after finished charging, then most likely it will be outside.

Suggestion: I believe a. Amazon Echo can be set to call the FD if it hears a smoke detector.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,815 Posts

Do you have any clues?

Great minds think alike. ;)

I just asked in my list of Things I've bought for my new Bolt, and there are a couple of suggestions there.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
If you get Ring alarm and pay $10 a month for monitoring you can have smoke, flood/freeze, fire, intrusion, and other sensors and cameras. Includes app notification and professional monitoring in case you are not home and miss the notification. It also has a sensor you can put near existing smoke alarm to trigger an alarm as well.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I am not sure heat sensor is needed. I think if it burns, it will smoke first. The guy smelled smoke before the car caught fire.
If you want to detect smoke, install smoke detector above the car and put a 'ring/barrier' around the detector to ensure smoke would collect and trips the alarm.
The problem with smoke detectors in the garage is dust/pollen can cause false alarms. Also, the tail pipe emissions of an ICE vehicle can cause it to go off as well. The garage is not a filtered air space and much more subject to the elements of the outside. Heat detectors are used there to prevent that. I'm prepping to install one in my garage hard wired to the rest. Already have heat detectors in my shop.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The problem with smoke detectors in the garage is dust/pollen can cause false alarms. Also, the tail pipe emissions of an ICE vehicle can cause it to go off as well. The garage is not a filtered air space and much more subject to the elements of the outside. Heat detectors are used there to prevent that. I'm prepping to install one in my garage hard wired to the rest. Already have heat detectors in my shop.
That's correct, if you install a common smoke detector in your garage, you could get false alarms.

There are some smoke detectors that are supposed to be for kitchen areas that might work better in garages, but nearly all of the recommendations I've read call for heat alarms in garages.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Consider a Nest Protect.

Reactions: MaiTaiMatt

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier Cajun Red Tintcoat, Grizzl-E EVSE
121 Posts
Note that many towns will eventually charge you a penalty after the n-th automated false alarm. As they should. People die during false alarms, from time to time, as well as fire companies finding themselves farther away from their next response to an actual working fire.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I got a 2 pack of wireless smoke alarms from Amazon. Put one in the kitchen and one in the garage so whenever one goes off, it alarms the second one. So far it hasn't false alarmed even when my daughter idles her ICE vehicle in the garage.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,815 Posts
I got a 2 pack of wireless smoke alarms from Amazon. Put one in the kitchen and one in the garage so whenever one goes off, it alarms the second one. So far it hasn't false alarmed even when my daughter idles her ICE vehicle in the garage.

Mike
Hope your daughter keeps the garage door open, and doesn't idle for too long...

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Yeah, I've warned her about that. Door open for a minute before she backs out: she sets up her phone for BT music before leaving.

Mike
That is better than adjusting while car is moving.

She needs an EV. :)

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
51 Posts
There are heat alarms that triggers at 135*

I suppose depending on what part of the country you live in, 135 could be too low. :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
HomeSeer allows a number of notification interfaces, but a user often has to purchase the plugin needed. I use Pushover.net's mobile notifications, Pushover offers a number of distinct sounds within the notifications. The HomeSeer system runs on a PC and so there's also the possibility of playing a wav file within the home. I'll need to investigate this in more detail.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I suppose depending on what part of the country you live in, 135 could be too low. :)
The trigger is not just flat 135 F. It also monitors increase rate.
If you are at 40 F and suddenly you reach 100 F - that may mean fire.
if you; however, slowly reaching 135 - could be simply sunny day...

As for 135 - yes, I am in MI, but I have never seen temp higher than 100 F in the upper areas of the garage.

Mike, idling in the garage... please, make sure she stops doing that.
Get the garage heated, insulated, and then jump into the car and drive away right away. The fumes find way to get trapped in some areas, they may leak into the house through the roof. Not to mention her in the car. The blower will pick it up and force into the cabin. The first seconds - depending on temp and car may be long seconds - oxygen sensors are not active and catalyst is at very low efficiency causing CO and bunch of other chemicals (like un-burned hydrocarbons) to be produced.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is slow and irreversible.

Reactions: shingles

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,423 Posts
The trigger is not just flat 135 F. It also monitors increase rate.
If you are at 40 F and suddenly you reach 100 F - that may mean fire.
if you; however, slowly reaching 135 - could be simply sunny day...

As for 135 - yes, I am in MI, but I have never seen temp higher than 100 F in the upper areas of the garage.

Mike, idling in the garage... please, make sure she stops doing that.
Get the garage heated, insulated, and then jump into the car and drive away right away. The fumes find way to get trapped in some areas, they may leak into the house through the roof. Not to mention her in the car. The blower will pick it up and force into the cabin. The first seconds - depending on temp and car may be long seconds - oxygen sensors are not active and catalyst is at very low efficiency causing CO and bunch of other chemicals (like un-burned hydrocarbons) to be produced.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is slow and irreversible.
Yeah, CO is insidious. A friend's son is an EMT with a fire department. He's seen victims rescued alive and seemingly fine from a high CO environment, only to die while being administered oxygen during the next several minutes.

Hemoglobin holds onto CO much more strongly and for far longer than O2.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ring has one, and there's also one for the Smart Life app, available from Amazon. Just try not to get one that uses a weird app that won't work with any other home automation devices.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts