Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just checked out a TFL video on the 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe. No, you might be saying, "What the ... does the Tahoe have to do with the Bolt EV?"

Well, it appears that some of the interior features on the 2021 Tahoe are very similar to things we've already seen in the Bolt EV (the 360 overhead camera for instance). However, in addition to that, I noted something really interesting: The Tahoe will have a "push" button drive control system. I use "push" in quotations because some of the buttons are pull (like the Bolt EV's E brake.

We already know that the refreshed Bolt EV and the Bolt EUV will no longer have the current gear selector, and the button selector configuration in the Tahoe appears to be designed for both EV and ICE use.

Here's the link to the video if you want to check it out. I'm not sure how many elements from the Tahoe will make it into the Bolt EV/EUV (or what configuration they'll be in when they get there), but I thought this was interesting nonetheless. Skip to 4:25 to see the section on the gear selector.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Wow is that dumb. If you are going to have push button gear select make them all push buttons.... since the brake has to be pushed to select D or R they don't have the excuse of "we don't want someone to accidentally push D or R so we made them pull instead of push"... they just did it to be "different".

Keith

·
Registered
471 Posts
Go to 4:51.

It’s interesting. Like many things, once you get used to it, it becomes irrelevant to the experience.

The shifter has become irrelevant. No longer mechanically linked, gears and modes can be activated in any way imaginable. This way is fine.

·
Registered
471 Posts
With proper software inhibits, doing the wrong thing at the wrong time should result in not the wrong thing happening.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm not keen on having important electrical devices so close to the cupholders. One "oops" and it's a potential disaster.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With proper software inhibits, doing the wrong thing at the wrong time should result in not the wrong thing happening.
While that's true, it's also nice to have redundancies.

I'm not sure I agree with those who think the buttons need to be the same. Especially in the case of EVs, you're selecting D or R once, and that's it. It's not something you fiddle with all the time. Toggling from D to L is, though, so having L be a push button makes a lot of sense. Switching between D and L even at the wrong time, though, is harmless, so again, a push button seems fine.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Wow is that dumb. If you are going to have push button gear select make them all push buttons....... they just did it to be "different".
Yes, that's exactly the point. By making them different it prevents you from hitting the "N" button when you really meant to hit the "D" button.

I'm not sure I like the design, I'd have to live with it for a few days. But it's nice that it frees up space between the front seats.

·
Registered
628 Posts
With an EV we are no longer shifting gears as in a manual transmission therefore the shift lever is no longer necessary. Turning the drive selector into a button makes sense as well as moving it off the center console onto the dash.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes, that's exactly the point. By making them different it prevents you from hitting the "N" button when you really meant to hit the "D" button.

I'm not sure I like the design, I'd have to live with it for a few days. But it's nice that it frees up space between the front seats.
This. While I like the concept, I'm not sure I like the implementation. Lifting those buttons that require it looks a bit awkward.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I kinda like the approach and pretty intuitive - if a hole, you pull, if not, you push.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts