Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that the Bolt tracks an abnormally large amount of snow into the garage?

I live in Michigan where we got a substantial amount of snow on Monday and Tuesday. Not abnormal for here, not like Texas, but enough. On Tuesday we drove 180 miles, mostly on back roads which were snow covered. Temps were well below freezing.

We heat our garage to a little above freezing because we have an active workshop in there. To avoid giant puddles we took the Bolt to the self serve car wash in our neighborhood and cleaned the ice bergs off the undercarriage before parking it in the garage. This is what we always did with our old Subaru and it worked well.

But on Wednesday morning we had an epic flood in the garage. Most puddles we have ever had.

My husband crawled under the car for a closer look. He reports it has huge open cavities inside the bumper, that hold giant icebergs.

Kind of a first world problem I know. But I am still curious. Anyone else had trouble with this?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Kind of a first world problem I know. But I am still curious. Anyone else had trouble with this?
I might never get the chance to experience this being in the southwest of the US, but I would imagine that an electric vehicle by its nature wouldn't produce enough heat to avoid this from happening.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seems like you need a garage mat. Just drive over it when you park your car in the garage. You could also try another car wash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't noticed the Bolt collects snow any worse than any other car I've own. There are certain conditions where snow and slush build up under vehicles. If conditions are especially bad, I'll try to remember to get out and kick off all four corners before pulling in the garage. If it does make a mess, a squeegee makes short work of it.

·
Registered
2021 LT Nightshade Grey
223 Posts
Mine has held a tonne of ice around the wheels, but that was expected in the snow storms lately. It made the front wheels shake on the highway, but I got most of it out.

today with the weather slightly warmer I was able to look at a few things in the car. I was looking in the engine compartment and looked down to the left side (passenger side) and thought I could see down to the snow on the driveway. I looked closer and was surprised that it seems be a pile of snow ONTOP of an underbody panel under the motor area. It’s still to snowy to really look or to see how that got in there (I suspect through the lower front grill area when hitting snow drifts in the deep snow) but that was a week ago and I’ve been through a few car washes since that sprayed the underbody.

If you have snow on top of the panels like I do it would be no surprise that you would have significant water after it melts overnight. I thought it would be more sealed from below.

·
Registered
17 Bolt LT
69 Posts
We have had several Toyotas and Subarus that bring home just as much snow. The Bolt is the same as the rest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I've noticed it as well and in a non-heated garage I'm having to run a dehumidifier 24/7 to help with the excess humidity (to avoid everything in the garage getting moldy). Just started noticing this once we got the Bolts.

·
Registered
365 Posts
There's no snow where I live, but I did notice that when I've brought it into the garage after driving in the rain, puddles form that take days to evaporate. So there are basically puddles all winter long. My old car didn't do that. Maybe the body panels hold liquid water too?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes, I've noticed it as well and in a non-heated garage I'm having to run a dehumidifier 24/7 to help with the excess humidity (to avoid everything in the garage getting moldy). Just started noticing this once we got the Bolts.
I run dehumidifier and my huge garage for about 6 cars.... also have dedicated shop gas powered heater set at 68°F .... it is definitely not easy with all the snow melting from all cars used in the winter...
If you have insulated garage 1-2 kw heater would be more than sufficient to keep above freezing. I do a lot of work besides my business at home so keeping my garage heated non stop is necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I run dehumidifier and my huge garage for about 6 cars.... also have dedicated shop gas powered heater set at 68°F .... it is definitely not easy with all the snow melting from all cars used in the winter...
If you have insulated garage 1-2 kw heater would be more than sufficient to keep above freezing. I do a lot of work besides my business at home so keeping my garage heated non stop is necessary.
Thanks, for the most part the garage stays just above freezing (between 1°C and 5°C -or 34F and 41F-) so the snow melts very slowly but, just like Curt, without a dehumidifier the puddles would just stay in the garage for weeks.

With a dehumidifier this is not a big deal, but it was just one of those things I just noticed once we switched to an EV.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks, for the most part the garage stays just above freezing (between 1°C and 5°C -or 34F and 41F-) so the snow melts very slowly but, just like Curt, without a dehumidifier the puddles would just stay in the garage for weeks.

With a dehumidifier this is not a big deal, but it was just one of those things I just noticed once we switched to an EV.
I do feel the pain with EV ownership but it is sacrifice we have to learn to live with.....Dehumidifier will do great work. Depending

·
Registered
24 Posts
Without any residual heat from an ICE vehicle, my attached garage is cold and damp. I use a Voronado space heater for a few hours after I pull in, then squeegee out the melted snow and I'm good until the next snow event.
NE Ohio here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We had our garage floor epoxied and while it looks great and is easily cleaned, it is slicker than snot when wet. We have put garage mats everywhere just so we don’t slip and fall when it is wet. Since we got the Bolt we have bought even MORE floor mats!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Where I live it rarely snows and then I keep my vehicles in the garage due to the inability of folks to drive in the snow! However I have noticed that the Bolt does seem to drip more water on the garage floor after being driven in the rain than my Volt or my Ford van did.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
I might never get the chance to experience this being in the southwest of the US, but I would imagine that an electric vehicle by its nature wouldn't produce enough heat to avoid this from happening.
Yeah, there's an awful lot of heat coming off the gas engine - the air is heated by being sucked through the radiator and around the hot engine and ends up flowing down underneath the car 'cause there's nowhere else for it to go. This works to melt off some of the snow as you drive. That, of course, doesn't happen with the Bolt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts