Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
So the most the AC will use is 2+ kW above "idling" energy. When the heater kicks in to reduce humidity, it never goes below 1 kW to the best of my memory, and can go much higher briefly.

·
Registered
464 Posts
So the most the AC will use is 2+ kW above "idling" energy. When the heater kicks in to reduce humidity, it never goes below 1 kW to the best of my memory, and can go much higher briefly.
His numbers are with ambient temperature in the low 70's, as shown by others in this thread with ambient temp of 105 sustained AC load was 4 KW.

Keith

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am at L2 charging now. Charging at 6.28Kw per meter.
In car (car on but A/C off, outside temp 97F, under solar panel providing shade), screen shows 6KW/7KW. Then I start hearing buzzing (battery conditioning) and it dropped to 1KW then 2Kw then 4KW now 5KW.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
His numbers are with ambient temperature in the low 70's, as shown by others in this thread with ambient temp of 105 sustained AC load was 4 KW.

Keith
In these cases I believe you will find, if you use Torque Pro, that 2 kW of that 4 kw is from the heater. Stupid, but true.

Here the AC compressor is only using 560 watts, and the heater is pulling 4699 watts!

AC-heat set to 72 F.jpg

·
Registered
178 Posts
Still charging, getting ready to go. Turned on A/C to precondition. Outside temp 99F, turned A/C on to 78F, set fan at 7. KW dropped from 6 to 1 and even down to 0 for a sec. After a couple of minutes, I am now at 3/4KW charge rate.

·
Registered
204 Posts
AC set on semi meat locker. Auto and doesn't change.
Use driving, in garage, and parked, especially for dogs. Never with further thought
If charge is needed then charge is given
Car serves me

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Well, I have to eat my words. Today was the warmest day in a month here. I drove into Charlottesville running the fan only, to heat up the interior, and to get the full heat island effect. It was 5 degrees warmer than out in the country. The ambient temperature reading on the dash ran from 95-97 F. I parked at a local baker. When I came out with our dessert, I turned on Torque Pro, started the car, and set the AC/heat to 72 F.

AC 72F- amb. 95F.jpg

15.9 amps x 368.5 volts = 5859 watts. Figure 859 watts for "idle" and fan, 1000 watts for the heater, leaves 4 kW for the AC compressor.

I then turned the AC/heat to LO.

max AC-95 F.jpg

10.8 amps x 368.9 volts = 3984 watts. Again figure about about 800-900 watts for "idle" and fan, and you get 3 kW for the AC compressor.

Both figures are higher than the 2 kW max I assumed. But if you think you will save power by running the AC at a higher temperature, you may be mistaken.

·
Super Moderator
2,028 Posts
In these cases I believe you will find, if you use Torque Pro, that 2 kW of that 4 kw is from the heater. Stupid, but true.

Here the AC compressor is only using 560 watts, and the heater is pulling 4699 watts!

View attachment 27122
What is the PID for cabin heat you are using?

·
Registered
178 Posts
So today, I was driving home and had 210 est miles... I shut off the A/C and it jumped to 244. So in the spirit of the typical PhD answer, the answer is "it depends". ;)

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
21 Participants
p7wang
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing