Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week when I became eligible for the battery pack replacement I scheduled it for a Thursday afternoon (a day off) where my wife could drive the Bolt to the dealership and I would follow in the Tesla since they refuse to give loaners now. I was figuring the work would take a few days and my wife would just not have the car for a while. Thursday morning was cold, snowing, bad roads etc, so my wife didn't want to drive in those conditions. I called up the dealership to re-schedule and asked some questions. I was told that they had the new pack ready to go, and surprisingly the job would only take about 6 hours to complete. At that point to avoid my wife not having her car we decided to get the job done on my next day off (Monday 1/10/22) and we were assured that as long as we showed up at opening time (8:00 AM) they would start on the car right away and have it done 6 hours later. Obviously this is not my favorite way to spend my only day off this week but I figured better to get it done in one visit rather than leave the car with them and make two trips to the dealership. We show up Monday morning, turn over the key and sit in the customer lounge waiting for the car to get done... 2.5 hours later I am called to the service department and asked "who told you we had a battery pack ready for you?"

GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

So, no only did they NOT have the battery pack waiting for us, they didn't get around to looking at the car for 2.5 hours. If they HAD a battery pack on hand, there is no way in heII that they could have finished the job before closing time, so we would have sat around the dealership all day and then been told "sorry, it isn't done... come back tomorrow, good luck getting home, we don't give loaners"

I was assured that my new pack was ordered, that that it is on a truck somewhere and they will call me when it comes in. I don't trust them to get the job done in one day even with me showing up at opening time, so I will probably have to force the wife to drive to the dealership no matter what the weather is so we can just drop it off and pick it up another day like I had originally planned.

Keith

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Infuriating. There's a reason I hate dealerships, and to a lesser extent all service places.

I don't think I've spent less than 3hrs at Firestone for my company car maintenance. They can't change wiper blades in that amount of time. Don't know how they stay in business if rotating tires and an oil change takes half a day. I wonder what they are charging the fleet program?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Last week when I became eligible for the battery pack replacement I scheduled it for a Thursday afternoon (a day off) where my wife could drive the Bolt to the dealership and I would follow in the Tesla since they refuse to give loaners now. I was figuring the work would take a few days and my wife would just not have the car for a while. Thursday morning was cold, snowing, bad roads etc, so my wife didn't want to drive in those conditions. I called up the dealership to re-schedule and asked some questions. I was told that they had the new pack ready to go, and surprisingly the job would only take about 6 hours to complete. At that point to avoid my wife not having her car we decided to get the job done on my next day off (Monday 1/10/22) and we were assured that as long as we showed up at opening time (8:00 AM) they would start on the car right away and have it done 6 hours later. Obviously this is not my favorite way to spend my only day off this week but I figured better to get it done in one visit rather than leave the car with them and make two trips to the dealership. We show up Monday morning, turn over the key and sit in the customer lounge waiting for the car to get done... 2.5 hours later I am called to the service department and asked "who told you we had a battery pack ready for you?"

GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

So, no only did they NOT have the battery pack waiting for us, they didn't get around to looking at the car for 2.5 hours. If they HAD a battery pack on hand, there is no way in heII that they could have finished the job before closing time, so we would have sat around the dealership all day and then been told "sorry, it isn't done... come back tomorrow, good luck getting home, we don't give loaners"

I was assured that my new pack was ordered, that that it is on a truck somewhere and they will call me when it comes in. I don't trust them to get the job done in one day even with me showing up at opening time, so I will probably have to force the wife to drive to the dealership no matter what the weather is so we can just drop it off and pick it up another day like I had originally planned.
So I thought my dealer battery replacement experience today was bad. I drove 1/2 h to the dealer with an appt to get it done. They looked at me like I was from mars, and said we ain't got no battery for you - you should have called ahead to confirm. What?? I asked them why they didn't call me to cancel the appt, and they said they didn't have enough staff to do that. Huh? Maybe covid perhaps - give them benefit of doubt But. -- There was no "oh sir we're so sorry to inconvenience you", just blaming it on me, and on the lady who booked my appt a week ago who no longer works there. There's a reason why I avoid these people whenever possible.

So i was feeling sorry for myself until I read your adventure in dealer-land. At least they told me right away. And now I feel better. thank you! Yes, to do it same day would require everything to line up perfectly. Not impossible, but not likely either.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Same thing happened to my nephew in Seattle. Had a firm appointment, went in. No battery in sight. No calls or nothing. He is not sure they even ordered a battery for his VIN.
So you are not alone. Lesson for all. Call first and ask them are they looking right at the battery as you speak.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Fivedoor : you were going to sit in a waiting room at a car dealership for 6 hours?
Sit in the waiting room and play on my phone (Galaxy Fold, huge screen) on free WIFI drinking free softdrinks and eating free snacks, or sit at home watching YouTube or Amazon Prime on my TV, drinking drinks I paid for and eating snacks I paid for... my recliner is more comfortable, but when I only have one day off I pretty much sit around the house watching YouTube / Amazon Prime... so not that big of a strain to do it in a waiting room instead. But that difference in comfort level along with the 1.33 hours of driving round trip means they better be accomplishing something in the time I am sitting there... not waste 3.83 hours of recliner time for nothing :)

Keith

·
Registered
262 Posts
My battery swap seems to have gone well - there was an initial short visit during which dealer gathered data and confirmed battery availability. Then the car went back for a week for the actual battery swap...fortunately we have spare vehicles so the week away from home was not a problem.

I'm still in the process of gathering actual range and capacity data, so we'll see...

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
@Fivedoor : you were going to sit in a waiting room at a car dealership for 6 hours?
I've spent days of my life at Firestone on my laptop, working. I'd do the service myself if it was my car and not the company.

Longest in a single day was 8am-4pm. One time I waited a couple extra hours because they couldn't find wiper blades. I don't care about wiper blades... they should have told me instead of trying to source them from another location while I wait.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I recently made an appointment at my local dealership to have the tires rotated on my Bolt. I had a coupon for a free tire rotation, so figured why not.

Made the first available appointment for 7:30 in the morning because I had a virtual meeting that I had to attend at 11 and figured I'd work from the lounge in the meantime. Dropped off the car, told them I needed to be out by 10:00, service advisor said, "no problem". 9:45 rolls around and I can't find the service guy. Keep looking, finally I find him around 10. He looks up my car and says, "Oh, I'm so sorry, they haven't even brought it in the service bay yet." He apologizes profusely and I take my car and go home, having sat in their waiting room for 2.5 hours while my car sat in the lot. Fun way to spend my morning.

This is par for the course with dealerships, in my experience. I should've known better.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Try pushing them on a rental. My dealership didn't have a loaner on hand and typically tries to get you to use the free shuttle service. Turns out they have a deal to get cars through a nearby Enterprise so they ended up paying for a rental. Just took a day for me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My battery swap seems to have gone well - there was an initial short visit during which dealer gathered data and confirmed battery availability. Then the car went back for a week for the actual battery swap...fortunately we have spare vehicles so the week away from home was not a problem.

I'm still in the process of gathering actual range and capacity data, so we'll see...
Wow, a week? It was my dealer's first swap and they would've had it done same day if I had stopped charging sooner. I got a surprise call that my battery arrived, but they couldn't replace it until 24 hours had passed since it was plugged in.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Just got a call from my local dealership. They had my battery pack but dropped it so now they have to order another one.

🙄🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wow, a week? It was my dealer's first swap and they would've had it done same day if I had stopped charging sooner. I got a surprise call that my battery arrived, but they couldn't replace it until 24 hours had passed since it was plugged in.
First they needed to wait to be sure 36 hours passed after last charging event, then they had to call Chevy engineering about something, then wait on a part (don't recall what)

I wasn't pushing them on it since we have backup cars.

·
Registered
418 Posts
First they needed to wait to be sure 36 hours passed after last charging event, then they had to call Chevy engineering about something, then wait on a part (don't recall what)

I wasn't pushing them on it since we have backup cars.
Isn't there a way to hook up the car to the diagnostics to determine when it was last charged? IMO, they're blowing smoke.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My dealer, who was great BTW, wanted three days for the swap as it was their first one. I really didn’t care since they offered me a loaner.
Just got a call from my local dealership. They had my battery pack but dropped it so now they have to order another one.
My dealer mentioned that some dealers have had to purchase forklifts in order to maneuver these battery packs since they weigh a gazillion pounds. Maybe yours didn’t (and will likely have to pay for that pack to be remanufactured).

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My dealer, who was great BTW, wanted three days for the swap as it was their first one. I really didn’t care since they offered me a loaner.

My dealer mentioned that some dealers have had to purchase forklifts in order to maneuver these battery packs since they weigh a gazillion pounds. Maybe yours didn’t (and will likely have to pay for that pack to be remanufactured).
GM won't authorize a dealer to do the recall until they prove they have the forklift. No joke!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I pretty disappointed in my bolt purchase at this point (2018 with about 25,000 miles). First the battery issue where I'm suppose to keep it outside to charge etc. Indiana winters aren't very good for leaving cars outside. Zero idea when they can fix the battery. Now, the transmission control module ($1448) is bad along with the right side object detection module ("internal failure") for $527. This car is less than 4 years old. Out of warranty. Three major issue. What's next??

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

Oh they have the forklift. I saw it parked next to the other packs they had. They said it will be a week or two for the new pack to come in.

·
Registered
318 Posts

🙄🤦🏻‍♂️
Holy buckets, I wonder if they have to pay for it? and maybe file an insurance claim? If I recall, the core charge is like $9k USD.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts