Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I bought my Bolt two months ago. I am trying to figure out if the car is already limiting the charging capacity without doing anything special. I just got it back from the dealer for a different problem, and I asked him if they installed the new 80% limit software update. He said they did, and I said, oh, that's too bad, I park it outside and use the Hilltop reserve most of the time. He checked again, and said, we didn't do a software update today, the last update to the car was done on July 24, 2021. He said that software update would limit it to 80%. I don't think that is correct. Didn't the 80% limit only come out in the last month or 2? I tried to do some research here.

So, given that software date, is there any charging limitation on my car currently? I'm trying to figure out when I still need to use Hilltop Reserve, and understand what the battery gauge is really telling me.

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
11,139 Posts
You have a 2017, right? Check this for recalls, to see if they were applied to your Bolt.

The first limits you to 19 green bars at full, and no hilltop option.

The second causes the EVSE to trickle charge your 12 volt battery for 4 hours after charge ends. You may see an active light on your EVSE, or put your ear on the hood at the front on the drivers side, to hear the electronics coolant pump running.

If you got the latest one, you will be limited to 16 bars at full, and 13 bars at hilltop.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That software to limit to 80% for the 2017’s just came out about a month ago, so I don’t see how it could have been done in July. My recall number didn’t change to 883 until it was available for the 2017’s and that happened a little over a month ago.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, so I read through all of that. If my last software update was July 24, 2021, then if I followed it correctly, I should have this applied - "November 17, 2020: Interim software available to limit charging to 94% (as displayed). Advisory to use hilltop reserve or target charge to 90% or lower before interim software is installed." So, does this mean that if Hilltop Reserve is off, the battery will charge to 94%, and if I put hilltop reserve on, it will limit the charging to 88% (or whatever the hilltop % is)?

Hilltop reserve is still an option in my car. I leave that on most of the time. I also believe that I never see all the green bars even after the car is fully charged with hilltop reserve off (I might have that wrong though).

So, when I use the My Chevrolet app, do the percentages shown show the % of the 94% available, or does is that % shown the percentage of the whole battery capacity?

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
Hilltop reserve is still an option in my car. I leave that on most of the time. I also believe that I never see all the green bars even after the car is fully charged with hilltop reserve off (I might have that wrong though).
It sounds like your car got the third update, which became available for 2017s in August. Count the bars. Original software was 20 at full, and 18 at hilltop. If you have less that that, and still have the hilltop option, you have the latest software, and can park and charge anywhere, and run out all three orange bars without fear of a fire....according to GM.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Jake, sounds like you have what I have, which was at the time thought of as the "final fix" software and restored 100% charge capability. I had that installed in June 2021 so the timeline makes sense. The fact you have the HTR option means the 94-95% software is not in play. For you, HTR on should charge to ~88% and HTR off to 100%.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks, so I read through all of that. If my last software update was July 24, 2021, then if I followed it correctly, I should have this applied - "November 17, 2020: Interim software available to limit charging to 94% (as displayed). Advisory to use hilltop reserve or target charge to 90% or lower before interim software is installed." So, does this mean that if Hilltop Reserve is off, the battery will charge to 94%, and if I put hilltop reserve on, it will limit the charging to 88% (or whatever the hilltop % is)?

So, when I use the My Chevrolet app, do the percentages shown show the % of the 94% available, or does is that % shown the percentage of the whole battery capacity?
When you get the latest 80% charge restriction software you will no longer need to use the hill top reserve setting until your battery is replaced.
I don’t have that software but on mine when I charge with HTR on it only charges to 87 or 88%, when I remove it the car will charge to 100%

·
Registered
71 Posts
You have a 2017, right? Check this for recalls, to see if they were applied to your Bolt.

The first limits you to 19 green bars at full, and no hilltop option.

The second causes the EVSE to trickle charge your 12 volt battery for 4 hours after charge ends. You may see an active light on your EVSE, or put your ear on the hood at the front on the drivers side, to hear the electronics coolant pump running.

If you got the latest one, you will be limited to 16 bars at full, and 13 bars at hilltop.

Thanks GJETSON I just had the software update done on my 2020 bolt yesterday and now i am limited to 170 miles in cold GA where temps are 30- 40 deg. I wondered why my wall charger stayed on after the battery charge was done and now i will monitor if it stays on 4 hrs doing trickle charge cause it gives no message . I used to un plug the car after charging was complete / never noticed this with my old 2017.
tom

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks GJETSON I just had the software update done on my 2020 bolt yesterday and now i am limited to 170 miles in cold GA where temps are 30- 40 deg. I wondered why my wall charger stayed on after the battery charge was done and now i will monitor if it stays on 4 hrs doing trickle charge cause it gives no message . I used to un plug the car after charging was complete / never noticed this with my old 2017.
tom
My Chargepoint EVSE stays going about 15-20 minutes after the car says it’s finished charging already. Before the software installation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies.
Jake, sounds like you have what I have, which was at the time thought of as the "final fix" software and restored 100% charge capability. I had that installed in June 2021 so the timeline makes sense. The fact you have the HTR option means the 94-95% software is not in play. For you, HTR on should charge to ~88% and HTR off to 100%.
Hmmm... a lot of different opinions here... this one makes sense to me. I will count the bars the next time I charge to full. I was hoping that I already had some sort of limitation only because the winter range I've been experiencing is so low.

For those who have one of the limitations, when you fully charge, does the app say 100%, or does it say 94% or 80% or whatever the limit is?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,681 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

Hmmm... a lot of different opinions here... this one makes sense to me. I will count the bars the next time I charge to full. I was hoping that I already had some sort of limitation only because the winter range I've been experiencing is so low.

For those who have one of the limitations, when you fully charge, does the app say 100%, or does it say 94% or 80% or whatever the limit is?
80% in the app for me. I have the latest update.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Seconded, the app displays accurate info if there's a limit. It used to say 94 or 95% at max charge before the above mentioned June update.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was hoping that I already had some sort of limitation only because the winter range I've been experiencing is so low.
One of my recent charges to hilltop reserve showed 134 miles on the guess-o-meter, so you're not alone. I'm anxiously waiting for my new battery to be shipped to the dealer...

·
Registered
71 Posts
tom
Yes my wall charger did stay on for about 4 hours AFTER the car was fully charged meaning it was trickle charging the 12v battery / surprised i get no mention of what the car was doing / now i have to monitor if car will do this every time i charge it / i only drive 5 - 10 miles a day if that

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV LT
216 Posts
Okay, just counted 20 bars, and the app says 100%. Shockingly low milage estimate!
Not so shocking when your efficiency for the last 500 miles is 2.5mi/kWh. If your more recent efficiency is close to 2.3, that would indicate a battery capacity of 55 kWh. (127/2.3=55.2) which is probably about right for a 5 year old Bolt.

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
Not so shocking when your efficiency for the last 500 miles is 2.5mi/kWh. If your more recent efficiency is close to 2.3, that would indicate a battery capacity of 55 kWh. (127/2.3=55.2) which is probably about right for a 5 year old Bolt.
Our 2017 has 52-53 kWh usable this winter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts