Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my Bolt has displayed a software mismatch notification upon start up. I have not experienced any diminished performance or other operational problems related as far as I can tell. Anyone else have this and found a solution? Just bothersome and would like to resolve.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have it checked out at your dealer.

I don't have specific knowledge about this w/regard to the Bolt but generally speaking, component version mismatches that control mechanical stuff are nothing to ignore IMO.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Recently my Bolt has displayed a software mismatch notification upon start up. I have not experienced any diminished performance or other operational problems related as far as I can tell. Anyone else have this and found a solution? Just bothersome and would like to resolve.
What comes up ? What is it for ? What does it say, so to speak ? Got a picture ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nags

It says something to the effect that the operational software and control software is mismatched. I usually confirm and all is okay.

·
Registered
592 Posts
As a software engineer we constantly get reports of "something didn't work". Trust that we get that liquid stomach feeling when we hear of serious bug reports, but the problem is then we ask "can you tell us more of what happened?". We usually get an answer like that "a dialog came up that said "Some error, blah blah blah" and I hit OK." This is worse than useless and gets nowhere.

Tip to people, the degree to which you'll get help on your bugs is the degree to which you provide detail. Give, if you can, an exact sequence of steps to reproduce the problem, to painful detail. Hope that it's reproducible, if it's not then you're in a tough spot. But even if it is, the developers may not be able to reproduce on their end. But that's the only thing that will get traction on your problem.

In this case I'd give all sorts of extra information, "It happened so far within 10 minutes of starting, only on warm days in Arizona, after I had left the car outside in the morning". Those kinds of details.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have it checked out at your dealer.

I don't have specific knowledge about this w/regard to the Bolt but generally speaking, component version mismatches that control mechanical stuff are nothing to ignore IMO.
that is right,.you better go to your dealer to checked it asap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
BoltR, just to reinforce the point since you have been given good information how to report bugs--

This, as reported, is not really a software bug. It indicates a likely mistake in placing conforming components in your vehicle. It appears that the firmware associated with one or more components is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE OPERATIONAL WITH OTHER (NONCONFORMING) COMPONENTS as it was integrated.

Emphasis applied to encourage you to get to your dealer now. Your vehicle may well be running an unstable configuration.

·
Registered
592 Posts
This, as reported, is not really a software bug. It indicates a likely mistake in placing conforming components in your vehicle. It appears that the firmware associated with one or more components is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE OPERATIONAL WITH OTHER (NONCONFORMING) COMPONENTS as it was integrated.
I don't think we have any idea as to what is causing it. If you troll through the FOSS licenses (yes, me and another engineer did this to see what they included in the build - it's long), you'll find a deep and expansive software stack. They used a popular RT OS for the operating system, and have a list of all the shared libs compiled in. Could be something is exciting a component in there which is reporting the error, who knows?

Really the only thing is again collect as much information as you can. An electric car is a battery, motor, power control, some bits that move water around and a really complex computer system - chances are most of the problems are in the software stack.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK, my last contribution in this thread.

BoltR, to keep this at a level folks who are not software developers can understand, this is what appears to have happened.

Well-engineered Real Time software components of complex systems often have version information associated with major components to prevent integration and manufacturing component mismatches.

You reported a component mismatch error message. Your dealer will contact GM and learn what needs to be done. If I were you, I would not drive the vehicle more than necessary until this problem is addressed.

To me, this is foremost a safety issue. YMMV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts