Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks again for your continued patience as the team at Chevrolet works as quickly as we can to provide you with replacement battery modules for your Bolt EV or EUV. Battery replacements have begun, and we continue to work with our battery supplier to obtain more battery modules to help speed up the replacement process.​
We are pleased to inform you that we have developed an advanced diagnostic software package that will remove parking and charging limitations on your vehicle while we work on building replacement battery modules. We will begin rolling out the software in 2019 model year vehicles, which remain our highest priority. In approximately 30 days we will expand the software to all remaining vehicles.​
This software will automatically limit your vehicle’s maximum state of charge to 80%, which will allow you to safely resume:​
•​
Charging indoors overnight​
•​
Depleting your vehicle’s battery below 70 miles (113 km) of range, resulting in greater overall vehicle range compared to GM’s prior interim charging guidance​
•​
Parking indoors after charging​
This software also contains new diagnostics designed to detect specific abnormalities that might indicate a rare battery issue in your vehicle.​
When you receive a second letter indicating that the software is available for your vehicle, you should schedule a service appointment at your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer. Until you have this new software installed, we ask that you still follow our previous guidelines, which are outlined on our website:
www.chevy.com/boltevrecall ›
This software is not the final recall remedy and you will be notified when battery modules are available for replacement. We will update you when the final recall remedy is available for your vehicle.​
Once again, we appreciate your patience and understanding. If you have any questions, please contact the Chevrolet EV Concierge at 1-833-EVCHEVY or your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer.​
Steve Hill
Steve Hill
Vice President, Chevrolet​
FIND NEW ROADS(TM) | CHEVROLET

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
190 Posts
Thanks again for your continued patience as the team at Chevrolet works as quickly as we can to provide you with replacement battery modules for your Bolt EV or EUV. Battery replacements have begun, and we continue to work with our battery supplier to obtain more battery modules to help speed up the replacement process.​
We are pleased to inform you that we have developed an advanced diagnostic software package that will remove parking and charging limitations on your vehicle while we work on building replacement battery modules. We will begin rolling out the software in 2019 model year vehicles, which remain our highest priority. In approximately 30 days we will expand the software to all remaining vehicles.​
This software will automatically limit your vehicle’s maximum state of charge to 80%, which will allow you to safely resume:​
•​
•​
Depleting your vehicle’s battery below 70 miles (113 km) of range, resulting in greater overall vehicle range compared to GM’s prior interim charging guidance​
•​
This software also contains new diagnostics designed to detect specific abnormalities that might indicate a rare battery issue in your vehicle.​
When you receive a second letter indicating that the software is available for your vehicle, you should schedule a service appointment at your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer. Until you have this new software installed, we ask that you still follow our previous guidelines, which are outlined on our website:
This software is not the final recall remedy and you will be notified when battery modules are available for replacement. We will update you when the final recall remedy is available for your vehicle.​
Once again, we appreciate your patience and understanding. If you have any questions, please contact the Chevrolet EV Concierge at 1-833-EVCHEVY or your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer.​
Steve Hill
Steve Hill

I am guessing your car isn't a 2019. My letter is from GM Canada (in french) but essentially the same thing except it says the update is available right now for my 2019 and no mention of waiting for a second letter either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
•​
•​
•​
Steve Hill
Steve Hill
My dealer service department called and asked that I present our 2019 Bolt asap to ensure all software updates related to the actual battery replacement were in fact completed.
Our car had the battery replaced at the end of October (it was part of the high risk build group). I am hoping the latest recall is not gonna be applied...
The status of the recall battery replacement has not yet changed to completed. Our service rep stated our car was the fourth to have the battery changed. They may have missed a step in the process.

My read of the letter above leads me to believe GM want to ease the minds of parking lot operators that have banned all Bolts from their facilities due to GM's suggestion we should not be parking indoors per the original recall. good intentions but flawed as GM might not have anticipated parking garage operator reactions. Damage control if you will. Situation is fluid...

It will take time before we are not banned from parking garages that are not our own, whether the recall has been completed, or not.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 2019 goes in for the software update this week and even though a loss of range sucks, I want to park in my garage more. I have no idea when my battery replacement will happen so I'm happy that the update will provide me with legal "permission" to park and charge in the garage.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt LT
83 Posts
My 2019 goes in for the software update this week and even though a loss of range sucks, I want to park in my garage more.
You have a lot more faith in GM software engineers than I do that's for sure (I have yet to apply any update on my '17, but do monitor it obsessively via OBD and follow the charging "rules"... though I use percentage vs. mileage on the low end since I live in a very cold place relatively speaking).

I sincerely hope their latest patch provides the actual safety people are expecting with this. If a Bolt gets this latest software and then goes up in a ball in someone's garage it's game over.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,684 Posts
My 2019 goes in for the software update this week and even though a loss of range sucks, I want to park in my garage more. I have no idea when my battery replacement will happen so I'm happy that the update will provide me with legal "permission" to park and charge in the garage.
You'll actually get back ~20% of your capacity, compared to losing 10% at the top, and 30% at the bottom.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
I sincerely hope their latest patch provides the actual safety people are expecting with this. If a Bolt gets this latest software and then goes up in a ball in someone's garage it's game over.
There are no guarantees in life. GM thinks that this patch will reduce the risk to an acceptable level - you either believe them or you don't. If one battery burns, it'll cause tons of angst on this forum, but it really doesn't prove anything because it could be a totally random event. You never really know the score until you have enough time or incidents to establish a pattern.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
You'll actually get back ~20% of your capacity, compared to losing 10% at the top, and 30% at the bottom.
Yeah, that's a little misleading because 0% at the bottom end is a much harder limit than 30%. I think most people would be willing to drive the battery right down to 30% based on the idea that you could go a "little under" if you really needed to. I'd bet that's a lot less true of 0%. I know I'm reluctant to get into a situation where the battery gets down into the orange at 15%.

It depends on your driving patterns and where the charging opportunities are on your route - but I think this change isn't quite as beneficial as it seems just by the numbers. IMHO the real value of it is the removal of charging restrictions (when, where), rather than any additional range.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not doing this update. I don't go below 30%, I don't park indoors, I only charge to 80% anyway unless I'm going somewhere and then I charge to 90/95%. I wan't that option, and this stupid update takes that away. I'm giving Chevy 6 more months to replace my battery or I'm dumping this thing for a Jeep 4xe. I'll never buy a pure EV again. Not worth it.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I'm not doing this update. I don't go below 30%, I don't park indoors, I only charge to 80% anyway unless I'm going somewhere and then I charge to 90/95%. I wan't that option, and this stupid update takes that away. I'm giving Chevy 6 more months to replace my battery or I'm dumping this thing for a Jeep 4xe. I'll never buy a pure EV again. Not worth it.
I don't what model year you have and whether you have a Korean-made battery. I have a US battery '19 and figure I could be waiting at least a year for a replacement pack. I doubt I will receive a replacement within 6 months from now. If you have a '19 w/MIK pack, I think receiving a replacement within 6 months is realistic.

FWIW, I've had pure BEVs as my primary car since end of July 2013. I was down to only BEVs at end of Jan 2019. If I finally get a buyback # that's decent (I'm in CA), I sadly may go back to Leaf as a temporary EV.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a late 2019 model with the US battery. I was fine with all of this until now. If I'm capped at 80%, this car is useless to me for any reasonable trip. I have a "bingo" of 30% and a hard stop at 20%. Just like flying an airplane, I refuse to go below my limits for reserve "fuel". I can go to a lower limit in my ICE truck, because there are gas stations everywhere, people aren't blocking the pumps and they always work. Can't say that with charging stations. So, if I'm going to have to drive the truck, I may as well get a 4xe, or another Volt. This has just soured me on EVs.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I don't know what state you're in, but if it's in a state w/good or decent lemon/consumer protection laws, you should initiate a buyback request, if you haven't already.

I stand by my prediction that '19 w/MIU batteries will not likely have a replacement pack within 6 months from now. I suspect all '19 w/MIK batteries will be first (still in progress), followed by all '17s. Not sure where '18s fall into this but all of them had MIK packs. Unclear which will win: '18 vs. '19 MIU packs and all other MIU pack cars (all '20+).

Have you checked Plugshare for stations on your routes?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm in CA, but to be honest, the lemon law/buyback is just too much of a time suck. I can trade this thing in now and get something else, but I was going to wait for the new battery. I refuse to be hobbled to 80% though. Enough already. I use plug share to plan trips, I have all my charging stations down to a science, but this kills all of that. I've pulled up to too many stations only to have some clown in an ICE blocking it, or the station not working (sometimes both), and now I wouldn't have the reserve I need to comfortably find another station. I don't need a vehicle that stresses me out just to drive to the beach or to Vegas. That's why I refuse to get this "update". If push comes to shove, I'll just get rid of it and buy something that can meet my needs.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I suspect all '19 w/MIK batteries will be first (still in progress), followed by all '17s. Not sure where '18s fall into this but all of them had MIK packs. Unclear which will win: '18 vs. '19 MIU packs and all other MIU pack cars (all '20+).
So far, it looks like the general order is:
1. Special cases and 2019 with Korea-made batteries.
2. 2017-2018.
3. (assumed) Cars with US-made batteries.

However, there appear to be some criteria (probably the charge/discharge patterns from OnStar that has been mentioned) that move cars up and down in this ordering. For example, a few 2017-2018 cars that are not obvious special cases (already in the shop needing a battery due to P0BBD or other bad battery codes, or have batteries that were replaced in late 2018) have been remedied, and not all 2019 with Korea-made batteries have been remedied, even though most cars that have been called for remedy so far are 2019 with Korea-made battery.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Yep. Given that the original Nov 2020 recall was only for MIK batteries (all '17 and '18 + subset of '19) and the MIU battery recall expansion came MUCH later, I tend to think that most MIK batteries will probably be addressed before most MIU batteries.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I'm in CA, but to be honest, the lemon law/buyback is just too much of a time suck. I can trade this thing in now and get something else, but I was going to wait for the new battery. I refuse to be hobbled to 80% though.
It's honestly taken me very little time (I'm in CA). The big problem is that I'm waiting (began request on 9/14). Since I had pretty low mileage at the time I initiated (under 18K miles) AND I received the full $7500 Federal tax credit, I might get most of my $ back. If I were to sell/trade in, I would take a huge bath and likely get much less.

And, since I have no other car, I'd need to find a replacement in this crazy used and new car market.

You're already hobbled 60% of the capacity of the pack if you follow GM's recommendations and you can't DC FC at full speed for very long since you aren't supposed to go below "70 miles" (which we intepret to be 30%). The update that in theory lets you go from 0 to 80% is much better.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Yep. Given that the original Nov 2020 recall was only for MIK batteries (all '17 and '18 + subset of '19) and the MIU battery recall expansion came MUCH later, I tend to think that most MIK batteries will probably be addressed before most MIU batteries.
It looks like the first two batches of recall remedy calls (October batch and early November batch) have included most but not all of the 2019 with Korea-made batteries, plus a few 2017-2018, plus special cases. A very rough approximation would be maybe a tenth of the total number of cars under recall. It will probably be another few months before all cars with Korea-made batteries get remedied, which means that cars with US-made batteries are unlikely to get remedied before then, unless software throws a "bad battery" code.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
It looks like the first two batches of recall remedy calls (October batch and early November batch) have included most but not all of the 2019 with Korea-made batteries, plus a few 2017-2018, plus special cases. A very rough approximation would be maybe a tenth of the total number of cars under recall. It will probably be another few months before all cars with Korea-made batteries get remedied, which means that cars with US-made batteries are unlikely to get remedied before then, unless software throws a "bad battery" code.
Hard to say how long it'll be for the bolded part. For the MIK batteries (in all '17 and '18 + subset of '19) in the US alone, that numbered a tad over 50K per https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20V701-2513.PDF.

And, numerous Bolts and Ampera-E outside the US also had MIK batteries. One can make some rough guesses as to how many of those are in that boat from Chevrolet Bolt EV Sales Numbers. Maybe there are another ~13K or so on top of the above ~50K?

It wouldn't surprise me if GM isn't able to allocate a battery to all of those (flip them away from "remedy not available") by the 6 month mark from now.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,199 Posts
I just posted this into another thread in response to a frustrated 2019 owner who got the letter, went to the dealer, and the dealer didn't have a clue. Reposting it here in hopes that it'll save some aggravation for others in the future trying to get this service done.

We are all going to have to operate on the presumption that all involved parties are not clued into what's going on. The best strategy is to provide all the information to everyone that you talk to. I can help here. I found a Reddit thread that has both the memo to dealers and the document for doing the procedure:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCMN-21V560-9665.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCSB-21V560-5443.pdf

Print them out and take them to the dealer. Then even if they do not know what's going on, you can provide them with the information required to do the job.

Take note of the fact in the procedure document that the service cannot be performed if the Bolt is charged above 80% SOC. So, before you bring it in, make sure to discharge the battery below the 80% level.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just posted this into another thread in response to a frustrated 2019 owner who got the letter, went to the dealer, and the dealer didn't have a clue. Reposting it here in hopes that it'll save some aggravation for others in the future trying to get this service done.

We are all going to have to operate on the presumption that all involved parties are not clued into what's going on. The best strategy is to provide all the information to everyone that you talk to. I can help here. I found a Reddit thread that has both the memo to dealers and the document for doing the procedure:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCMN-21V560-9665.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCSB-21V560-5443.pdf

Print them out and take them to the dealer. Then even if they do not know what's going on, you can provide them with the information required to do the job.

Take note of the fact in the procedure document that the service cannot be performed if the Bolt is charged above 80% SOC. So, before you bring it in, make sure to discharge the battery below the 80% level.

ga2500ev
I had the software update applied to my 2019 last Friday and the service writer didn't know about it either. Luckily, I had the letter in hand showing my VIN so he couldn't just brush it off. It took a few minutes, but they finally got it straight and the update was applied. I just use the car for commuting so the 80% cap doesn't bother me since it's temporary, but I'm just glad I can park in the garage again. It's not cold where I live and I just did it because just hate leaving a car outside.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts