Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just received a snail mail notice of two remote software updates coming soon.

Yes, EVs are the future and remote updates are usually a good thing. Much less likely to be a bad experience than taking it to the dealer service department.

No, we're not having any software problems of which we're aware.

Yes, it is annoying when Microsoft takes control of my notebook computer and does an update without explaining WIGO.

So what has been the experience with these remote updates? Anyone been there, done that?

jack ivnes

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Interesting, just opened my mail and found some directions for the update.

Implies that you need to be connected to WiFi if you don't have a paid OnStar or 4G LTE WiFi data plan.

Directions state that you have a WiFi icon if you're connected. The icon in the directions don't match the icon I get when I'm connected to my home WiFi. See attached picture.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts

Implies that you need to be connected to WiFi if you don't have a paid OnStar or 4G LTE WiFi data plan.

Directions state that you have a WiFi icon if you're connected. The icon in the directions don't match the icon I get when I'm connected to my home WiFi.
You don't need to be hooked up to your home wifi. I have the free basic Onstar. The free trial ran out seven months ago. You can still turn on the factory wifi from the settings on the infotainment screen. It won't let you watch movies, but it will do factory updates.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
You don't need to be hooked up to your home wifi. I have the free basic Onstar. The free trial ran out seven months ago. You can still turn on the factory wifi from the settings on the infotainment screen. It won't let you watch movies, but it will do factory updates.
Verbatim from Chevrolet flyer:

Downloading and installing vehicle software updates requires Internet connectivity. Although you do not need to pay for an OnStar or 4G LTE Wi-Fi data plan in order to receive vehicle software updates, your vehicle's connectivity must be correctly configured. This enables you to stay connected in your Bolt EV and enables Chevrolet to remotely send vehicle software updates right to your vehicle.
So first part, "you do not need to pay" agrees with your assumption. But the rest of the flyer details how to connect your Bolt to a WiFi hotspot. So it implies that this is how you get a connection without paying for OnStar or 4G data.

Ambiguity abounds.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
The letter that came with the flyer states that updates will be in phases beginning April 2108 through August 2018. Too bad it doesn't have an option to force a download. The anticipation is killing me. This is almost as bad as waiting for a phone update from one of the carriers. I'm sitting at home at the moment with time to kill. Would be perfect right now for an update. But no. Instead, one day before the end of August I'll be heading to the airport in a hurry when I'll get an OnStar voice telling me it's ready to update me.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Just be aware, these updates are not a replacement for firmware updates that can only
be done at the dealer. There are modules that OTA updates are not designed for.
This will not replace dealer required updates for TSB's and recalls. PCM's, BCM's, HVAC, BECM's ETC.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

Directions state that you have a WiFi icon if you're connected. The icon in the directions don't match the icon I get when I'm connected to my home WiFi. See attached picture.
That's the rude thing: GM doesn't just outright say so and doesn't behave so. For instance, when I got my "System V270" update, I was at work and no wifi access was there. In fact, I never have my Bolt attached to any wifi and have it off. Yet, the "System V270" update downloaded while I was at work and was ready to install when I started to leave work.

The V270 update installed fine yet I couldn't check my software version number via the infotainment console because I didn't have wifi nor 4G LTE plan. I only have OnStar Basic plan. So to check my software version I had to enable wifi on my Bolt and tether it to my phone's hotspot. This allowed me to check my software version which was still v14.1, the same one before the "System V270" update.

GM/OnStar behavior is so inconsistent.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Took mine to service today and had the propulsion service bulletin done, and since I was there I told them install 14.5. Tech says it took longer to update the infotainment software than to reprogram HPCM2. All good except the Range guesser was discombobulated.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Had both updates done at the dealer. Even with 14.5, I still get a black screen upon startup from time to time. It seems to me that after 14 and 1/2 versions of software, it ought to at least, you know, work.:nerd:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Had both updates done at the dealer. Even with 14.5, I still get a black screen upon startup from time to time. It seems to me that after 14 and 1/2 versions of software, it ought to at least, you know, work.:nerd:
We are having no issues with our 2017 Bolt Premier and have no intention of unwittingly becoming a part of a software Beta test. I have the same attitude towards the seemingly endless "updates" that my phone carrier is constantly attempting to foist on me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I did the battery Software update today and the only strange symptom i am seeing is some of the safety features don't appear to be working. The lane departure at first was not working and now It appears to be working. The anti collision detection which shows the distance behind vehicle in front of you does not appear to be functioning. I did go in to the settimgs and it is enabled. The other thing is I did notice that even thought they did not charge the vehicle it update seemed to have erased the mileage I had driven on the last time I charged.

·
Registered
58 Posts
an idiot light just came on, a car with an exclamation through it , means take your car to the shop. They say it needs an update fir the brake system. I’ve never heard of it. Anyone have this?

·
Registered
218 Posts
an idiot light just came on, a car with an exclamation through it , means take your car to the shop. They say it needs an update fir the brake system. I’ve never heard of it. Anyone have this?
There was a recall for some bolts for possible brake fluid issues causing corrosion, I believe they just flushed and refilled brake fluid. I had it done a couple years ago, model year 2018

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Ask them if the update is related to a bulletin. If it is, ask them for the bulletin number. There are several of us on here who can get you details from there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts