Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any chance solar panels on the roof would be an option? They could design a roof rack that would hold the panels so that it had a clean look across the roof line.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Maybe one day but that doesn't seem to be anytime soon. Until a time when solar panels are thin, light, very effective and affordable, I can't imagine anyone going this route. And this is also dependent on where you live since that determines how much sunlight you get per year.

·
Registered
322 Posts
More importantly, it depends on the output of the sun and the size of cars--two measures that aren't going to change much with technology. Until the sun starts to go supernova or your car is the size of an RV, solar cells can't provide any significant charging of the battery.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The Prius Prime (the new version of the Plug-in Prius) will offer them as an option - everywhere but the US.
Specs haven't been released, but it is estimated if you park in the sun all day, you'll gain up to 2 miles of range.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It might not be worth it to most folks, however if having a solar panel helps keep the battery from draining totally when sitting in the airport parking lot, or could help keep the interior temperature down, it doesn't seem like a total waste.
Heck, for those two conditions I would be tempted.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Definitely seems like a good idea, but only if the charge received is efficient enough. If it doesn't make a significant difference, I don't think it will appeal to people

·
Registered
322 Posts
It might not be worth it to most folks, however if having a solar panel helps keep the battery from draining totally when sitting in the airport parking lot, or could help keep the interior temperature down, it doesn't seem like a total waste.
Heck, for those two conditions I would be tempted.
Yeap, that's similar to their use on the Prius and LEAF.

But then you have to wonder, what does Tesla know that we're not considering? Since they've never put solar cells on their technologically advanced cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So would putting three 100w flexible solar panels on the car when you park it to trickle charge it not be worth it? I've read the forums where people can pull 1kw or so from the 12v battery and it has me wondering if you could charge the car through that battery. Can the 12v battery charger send current the opposite way? With the setup I'm interested in it would only produce 1.5 kw over the course of 5 sunny hours which is within the limit of the charger itself.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
So would putting three 100w flexible solar panels on the car when you park it to trickle charge it not be worth it? I've read the forums where people can pull 1kw or so from the 12v battery and it has me wondering if you could charge the car through that battery. Can the 12v battery charger send current the opposite way? With the setup I'm interested in it would only produce 1.5 kw over the course of 5 sunny hours which is within the limit of the charger itself.
This is actually one of the bigger issues with implementation. It's easy to add solar panels to a car, but its difficult to reroute the energy they produce into the main battery. The easiest way to do this is to have the solar panels feed an onboard 12 V to 24 V DC battery that feeds an inverter that can power your EVSE. Unfortunately, though, that system is fairly inefficient (losses at each point) and can only be used when the car is parked.

OEMs can produce better, more integrated systems that can accept energy from the solar panels even when the vehicle is driving. Also, if set up properly, the system can be far more efficient because the DC power from the solar panels can be fed directly into the main DC battery.

At that point, the biggest hurdles are finding available surface area, reducing cost and weight, and increasing efficiency. Toyota is experimenting with solar panels that are 34% efficient (nearly double industry standard), and that's about the minimum efficiency I think would be necessary to justify an automotive solar system. With that efficiency, a rooftop solar system on the Bolt EV would add about 20 to 30 miles of driving range per day when parked in full sun. How much would that be worth to you? What would the ROI be for a system like that?

We'll get there eventually, but we're not quite there yet.

·
Registered
235 Posts
A few panels that folded out like an awning would be neat. Good for recharging with while camping or such. They'd be kind of low to sit under, so don't forget and stand straight up.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
A few panels that folded out like an awning would be neat. Good for recharging with while camping or such. They'd be kind of low to sit under, so don't forget and stand straight up.
You'd need a huge array, much too large to be practical, to recharge the car in a day. The most common conventional panels in use today are about 325W for a 3' x 5' panel. To get 60kWh would require about thirty of them under full sun for over six hours. Getting that energy into the traction pack is an entirely different problem.

Using mobile solar PV to power a vehicle just isn't practical...yet.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
You'd need a huge array, much too large to be practical, to recharge the car in a day. The most common conventional panels in use today are about 325W for a 3' x 5' panel. To get 60kWh would require about thirty of them under full sun for over six hours. Getting that energy into the traction pack is an entirely different problem.

One thing I would say is that we shouldn't be looking for solar panels to fully recharge these cars in a day. That, certainly, isn't practical. However, as many have noted multiple times, the Bolt EV has an excessive range for many people. If I drive out to a remote camping spot, 40 or 50 miles off grid (that's actually a long distance into a national forest), adding even 10 to 20 miles a day for a long weekend camping trip would be massive. Camping for a week? Even better.

The idea of "filling up" everyday, though, is ludicrous. Most people could get by with a 120 V hookup given how much they drive in a day, so getting even a few hours of that a day would be a huge benefit.

·
Registered
235 Posts

I did say "camping and such". I did not say "for fully charging". Let's try to see the point in people's posts. Unless it's just really stupid, like Bolts radiate scary 5G...

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I did say "camping and such". I did not say "for fully charging". Let's try to see the point in people's posts. Unless it's just really stupid, like Bolts radiate scary 5G...
Your point was not clear. If you had said "to power a small lamp or recharge cell phones and such" I would have understood the intended point.

"Good for recharging with while camping or such" was far from clear. Recharging what?

You scolding was not appropriate, nor appreciated.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Your point was not clear. If you had said "to power a small lamp or recharge cell phones and such" I would have understood the intended point.

"Good for recharging with while camping or such" was far from clear. Recharging what?

You scolding was not appropriate, nor appreciated.
Forgive me. I fell into Facebookness. I actually quit looking at it for that very reason.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts