Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any chance solar panels on the roof would be an option? They could design a roof rack that would hold the panels so that it had a clean look across the roof line.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Maybe one day but that doesn't seem to be anytime soon. Until a time when solar panels are thin, light, very effective and affordable, I can't imagine anyone going this route. And this is also dependent on where you live since that determines how much sunlight you get per year.

·
Registered
322 Posts
More importantly, it depends on the output of the sun and the size of cars--two measures that aren't going to change much with technology. Until the sun starts to go supernova or your car is the size of an RV, solar cells can't provide any significant charging of the battery.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The Prius Prime (the new version of the Plug-in Prius) will offer them as an option - everywhere but the US.
Specs haven't been released, but it is estimated if you park in the sun all day, you'll gain up to 2 miles of range.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It might not be worth it to most folks, however if having a solar panel helps keep the battery from draining totally when sitting in the airport parking lot, or could help keep the interior temperature down, it doesn't seem like a total waste.
Heck, for those two conditions I would be tempted.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Definitely seems like a good idea, but only if the charge received is efficient enough. If it doesn't make a significant difference, I don't think it will appeal to people

·
Registered
322 Posts
It might not be worth it to most folks, however if having a solar panel helps keep the battery from draining totally when sitting in the airport parking lot, or could help keep the interior temperature down, it doesn't seem like a total waste.
Heck, for those two conditions I would be tempted.
Yeap, that's similar to their use on the Prius and LEAF.

But then you have to wonder, what does Tesla know that we're not considering? Since they've never put solar cells on their technologically advanced cars.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Now that's a good question .. All I've really seen that they have is the powerwall for charging purposes at home

1 - 10 of 10 Posts