Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever heard of this technology before? We are installing solar panels on our home in Washington, DC. When I told our installer that we had just purchased a Bolt and also wanted to install an EVSE, he recommended that we try this new unit, which acts both as a PV inverter AND an EVSE that puts out 40 amps/9.6 kw - for the price of a regular inverter. It will charge directly from solar DC power, and switch to AC from the grid when there's no sun. No need to run a new 220 line or upgrade the main distribution panel.

I understand it doesn't hit the market until March, but I wanted to see what others thought of this? The unit is relatively small (18"x15"x7"), and is rated for indoors/outdoors. Any thoughts?

Solaredge.com

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Even though it is a cool idea, for California and time of use plans it is not worth it. It is much more economical to "sell" your power to the grid when your solar panels are producing and charge at night when the electricity is cheaper. For different areas in the country it may be worth it or if you want to go off-grid it would be a much more efficient way to charge your car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I understand, you can still set it up to only charge at night, the same as with a regular EVSE. It just gives you the option to charge direct.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am happy with solar edge inverters. Looks like you will be limited to 7600 watts by the inverter size, with the new 325 watt panels it is easy to install an array larger than that. It would of saved me $2500 for adding adding a larger breaker panel and 500 for the EVSE. What is the price of the combined inverter? My regular model 7600 inverter with zigbee communications was around $1800.
Juan

·
Registered
676 Posts
My solar already sells to the grid when it can (16.5kw system). I plan to program the Volt to charge from 9am til 4pm and then from 10pm until 7 am come summer. So my little car will either be charging when the solar is producing power or when i'm on off peak. FWIW, I have an egauge system monitoring the production and it has diverged from the electric company's meter a significant amount due to my inside use of power when the sun is shining. Safe to say that power produced inside my breaker box never leaves the property and never gets recording the electric company's meter. They don't credit me at the end of year for peak or off peak produced power, simply pay 4.8c/kwh for the total overage through the year. This is why I don't mind charging the car in the middle of the day from my own solar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My first impression was that the primary advantage of this EVSE is that it does not require any separate breaker system from your home panel to charge your EV. Since it uses the same SolarEdge PV inverter to produce the 240 VAC split phase power, the solar energy used for charging would seem to be limited to the PV/inverter sytemitself. The remaining charge energy (up to the 40 amp limit) would come from the grid. I'd guess this would require a 50 amp breaker (at least) for the solar feed breaker in the home main panel - for the times when the PV production is minimal. Not sure of the physical layouts, but if the PV inverter was not near your EV parking space, could be quite a bit of 8 AWG wiring!!

I'd like to know the particulars if someone has had an installer actually design a system based on this EVSE. Personally, I like the OpenEVSE as it is "programmable" - but does require a new breaker system in the home panel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Who is installing your solar? I'm in the area and just had Tesla stop by to give me a quote, I'd be curious to hear the pitch from whoever you had in, sounds very interesting.

Would you be willing to share any more details on their quote? Tesla was about 35k for ~12kW if I remember correctly.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Right under $3 a Watt is a good deal in California. I am getting this SolarEdge Inverter with EVSE. It is rated for 7600 Watts, but that is the rated AC output. It can handle 11,800 Watts of DC power input. You can put together a 11,800 Watt solar system with it and be fine. I will be getting this system in two months and will let everyone know how it works! Since this will be my second charger I am going to have to get a second EV. Time to find a good deal on a used Model S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.