Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else considered selling the bolt with these massive rebates on the horizon? I was waiting for a buyback but instead went with vroom as those rebates can only foresee tanking values for pre owned market. In my state alone if that goes through people will be looking at $19k in rebates right off the top of a new bolt with fed and state.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
105 Posts
Has anyone else considered selling the bolt with these massive rebates on the horizon? I was waiting for a buyback but instead went with vroom as those rebates can only foresee tanking values for pre owned market. In my state alone if that goes through people will be looking at $19k in rebates right off the top of a new bolt with fed and state.
Of what i read the big rebate will be going to EV built completely in US.So for us canadians we will stop building parts for cars assembled in the US.Sub asemblies will have to be built in USA.So it could be a long time before car manufacturers build all the parts in US and assemble them in the US.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
161 Posts
Nope,
unless our Bolt bursts into flames, I’m keeping it.
I may consider a Cadillac Lyriq in a year or two though. ( or not ) The size of the Bolt suits our needs very well.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premium - Metallic Grey
149 Posts
To be honest, the rebate is a tax credit and fully applies if your taxable income is $19k. (assuming all the federal, state and local rebates are all tax credits)
So if you make $88k then you might get the full rebate.
But either way, in my experience, I see car prices rise/fall proportionally to those rebates.

bad example
For example, when the 2022 Bolt EVs came out they had a lower MSRP then the 2021 Bolt EVs.
However, they instantly started offering 2021 Bolt EVs with a $6000 Manufacturer rebate which made the two vehicles about the same price (which makes sense because they are essentially the same car with the same features).

I don't doubt that if the extended tax credits pass, GM will change pricing slightly to compensate.

Disclaimer:
---THIS IS JUST MY OPINION---PLEASE DO NOT YELL AT ME IF YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION OR YOU ARE MORE KNOWLEDGABLE ON THE TAX REBATE AND/OR OEM PRICING TOPICS---GOD HELP ME---FEAR IS THE MIND KILLER---GO SEE DUNE IN THEATRES.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
To be honest, the rebate is a tax credit and fully applies if your taxable income is $19k. (assuming all the federal, state and local rebates are all tax credits)
So if you make $88k then you might get the full rebate.
But either way, in my experience, I see car prices rise/fall proportionally to those rebates.

bad example
For example, when the 2022 Bolt EVs came out they had a lower MSRP then the 2021 Bolt EVs.
However, they instantly started offering 2021 Bolt EVs with a $6000 Manufacturer rebate which made the two vehicles about the same price (which makes sense because they are essentially the same car with the same features).

I don't doubt that if the extended tax credits pass, GM will change pricing slightly to compensate.

Disclaimer:
---THIS IS JUST MY OPINION---PLEASE DO NOT YELL AT ME IF YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION OR YOU ARE MORE KNOWLEDGABLE ON THE TAX REBATE AND/OR OEM PRICING TOPICS---GOD HELP ME---FEAR IS THE MIND KILLER---GO SEE DUNE IN THEATRES.
The "new" federal EV incentives (if they get passed) are NOT a tax credit. For the first year (2022) it will be paid out as a rebate on your federal income tax, but it is NOT dependent on your taxable income. After that first year, from 2023 on it will be a direct "at time of purchase" rebate rather than being paid with your income tax return.

Keith

PS: Not yelling at you, and yes, if you were a fan of the book (and hated the 1984 Dune movie) go see Dune in the theater!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts