Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
234 Posts
My 2020 Premier I bought 6 months ago with less than 2k miles has offers from CarMax and Vroom this week that are for thousands more than I paid for it. Only problem is there isn't anything like the Ioniq5 readily available to replace it with.
If I received an offer like that, I'd grab it and buy something cheap from Craigslist while I waited for the newest EVs to arrive.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
This. What good is a buyback or great trade in if the prize we win is an opportunity to a supply-limited EV subset of already crazy car market.
Agree completely. I have a family member who has deposits/wait lists on four different EVs, Audi, Rivian, Lightning and Hyundai and the delivery date keeps getting pushed back and back.

The worst is the chimera from Kia/Hyundai. It seems they're theoretically available only in west coast compliance states, but in practice the dealers don't have them, don't know when they'll get them, won't sell out of market area and won't return calls/e-mails. Your results may vary, but this is from experience.

jack vines

·
Registered
89 Posts
My 2020 Premier I bought 6 months ago with less than 2k miles has offers from CarMax and Vroom this week that are for thousands more than I paid for it. Only problem is there isn't anything like the Ioniq5 readily available to replace it with.
Yeah, this post prompted me to look at what they are selling for at Carmax and I saw a 2019 Bolt EV Premier (22k miles) listed for 25,998. I can't believe that they are selling for that much and am puzzled how they can sell them but I also don't know the law regarding selling a vehicle with a recall that has no fix as of today.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Somehow cargurus is showing a lot of EV and EUV's locally.

No law that I've heard of but if GM issues a stop sale then that is what would stop a dealer from selling a model.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
234 Posts
GM can only stop sale at their own dealerships. They have no authority to stop other dealers from selling a Bolt.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Could this just be because 2021 owners are wanting to get rid of their cars due to the recall and they are trading them in? Cause vs effect?

Mike

·
Registered
816 Posts
What's the buzz in the automotive news? Normal production rates of new cars won't happen until 2023. It will take months to rebuild dealer inventories after that. There's 3 years of low production (20-22) meaning a dearth of used cars in the market for the foreseeable future. Result? Used car prices will stay sky high for years. Makes sense building a stock of Bolts which will have new modules or reset battery warranties. They will sell for $$$ when fixed.

·
Registered
267 Posts
A week or two back got an email from Donohoo Chevrolet that said they had something like 150 Bolts. Doubt GM will buyback all Bolts but do seen how an opportunistic dealer could make a profit in this situation. My 2020 Premier is worth thousands more than I paid for it but I’m not selling - love the car.

Original article seems incomplete and disjointed like most clickbate junk on the internet. Have to wonder if a bot compiled it from bit found on the net.

I’m even more careful when driving my Bolt as I like it and it’s irreplaceable at the moment.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dealers cannot sell used or new Bolts. Many customers will be very cautious about buying a used Bolt with a new warranty and battery so I don't understand their goal of trying to make money. Maybe they are buying Bolts for GM as it is much faster processing and it gets more Bolts off the streets and these can sit and wait for new batteries. These could also be GMs way to lower potential class action lawsuit liability. GM could be paying Dealers a monthly fee to hold these used Bolts. Maybe some day someone from a dealership will tell the whole story

·
Registered
2021 Bolt EV
31 Posts
I'd push over a few old ladies, running to sell my Bolt for $28k. I have an extra beater to use for the next 6 months. The $6500 profit plus the $7500 tax credit on the replacement EV from Hyundai, Ford, or VW would be alright with me.

·
Registered
'17 Bolt Premier
44 Posts
Last time during the stop sale, GM gave dealers financial compensation for not being able to sell the Bolts while paying interest and other costs. The amount was about $7 or $8 per car, per day. So a dealer that bought one a few weeks ago could easily see a $1000 check, on top of expected appreciation due to the chip shortage, plus the added benefit of a 100k mile battery warranty. That is to say nothing about being able to do buybacks for a profit. The dealer I bought from immediately after the stop sale was listed was sitting on more used Bolts than the rest of the metro area combined. Some dealers are OK with this type of situation. I would think a dealer that doesn't floorplan is particularly a good candidate for this roulette game.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2011 Cruze Eco MT
118 Posts
Bolts are still listed for sale on Carvana. However when clicking on one for more information, a Stop Sale window opens up.

I think in this time of scarcity, used Bolts with new packs will sell very well. Enough people will be willing to take a chance on an EV for perhaps well under $30k with a brand new 259 mile pack, backed by a brand new 8 year warranty. I would do it, if we didn't just buy a new 2021 in May. We're keeping ours, that's for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The article didn't mention any MY other than the 2021 and I own one with 1600mi. I called the dealer I purchased it from and am waiting to hear back from them regarding a straight purchase. They happen to have a few trucks on the lot that I'm interested in. Maybe we can work something out. If not I will be making calls to Vroom, Carvana etc. Not exiting the EV market over hysterics or fear, just that our family needs have changed for the time being. Will reenter the EV market in another year or two.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dealership where I bought my 17 Premier have been after me for the past 8 months to trade into something else. Trade in price has bounced from $11000 to $17000 during that period. If that article is to be believed, now I know why. Bizarre.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Real question is what will you have to spend. Doesn't matter how much they give if out of pocket expense is greater. I've got a 2016 van that the dealer continuously asks for me to trade in but sorry I'm not trading. It is transportation and my bottom line is what is the economic benefit to me. Don't need a new vehicle mine is good, unless it saves me money then I'm not trading. Bolt was too good of a deal to pass up. Only thing I think about selling these days is stocks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
What's the buzz in the automotive news? Normal production rates of new cars won't happen until 2023. It will take months to rebuild dealer inventories after that. There's 3 years of low production (20-22) meaning a dearth of used cars in the market for the foreseeable future. Result? Used car prices will stay sky high for years. Makes sense building a stock of Bolts which will have new modules or reset battery warranties. They will sell for $$$ when fixed.
Normal production rates of new cars won't happen until 2023. It will take months to rebuild dealer inventories after that.

not if they switch to order online and deliver...

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm not so sure this will go back to normal even in 2023. There are already power issues/limits in China meaning they stop plants from working 7 days a week now. Maybe it's 2-3 days of operation now.

No one will invest in old semi-conductor/chip tech plants with like 25nm tech when folks are on 9 or 7nm now. There will be a continued conflict with China for the foreseeable future so anything there can put a stop to any back to normal situation (seems to be getting worst).

Maybe this is a negative view, but I'm not holding my breath this gets back to normal in the forseeable future. Like projects at any job, it's never on-time, underbudget or without problems on the expected date.

Like the housing crisis/shortage which never fixed itself in 13 years and is still just as bad now, there is zero solutions there due to anti-development (understandable as it's a supply/demand issue) and resource (wood/timber/labor/contractors) issues.

My guess is that many dealers will simply go belly up (can't make $$ if you have nothing to sell) and manufacturers will adopt a more "Tesla/Rivian/Lucid" direct to consumer model and be more order online, dealerships become service/sales centers and manufacturer owned and pick up car locations. May take some legislation (no idea here).

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Like the housing crisis/shortage which never fixed itself in 13 years and is still just as bad now, there is zero solutions there due to anti-development (understandable as it's a supply/demand issue) and resource (wood/timber/labor/contractors) issues.
Way OT, but that's how we roll here.

Thirteen years is not even close to the beginning of the problem. As one who was working in the homebuilding industry during the first housing bust in 1980, I did the research and came to the realization the problem was caused by none of the above. The problem is government/capitalism/the system has been lying to us since the end of WWII and the beginning of the FHA/VA/cheap bank credit. The reality is nowhere in the world at no time in history has one man, working with his hands, been able to add enough value to afford to own a detached single family home on a deeded lot. That we/they continue to promote this fiction is the root and branch of the 'housing crisis.' Politicians know they won't be reelected if they admit unpleasant truths, so we continue the lie everyone can and should own his own home and continue to print more money and the resultant inflation continues to price the unaffordable homes yet higher. Get over it, because as long as we continue to accept this fiction, there is no solution. End rant/history lesson.

jack vines

21 - 40 of 49 Posts