Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I'm not so sure this will go back to normal even in 2023. There are already power issues/limits in China meaning they stop plants from working 7 days a week now. Maybe it's 2-3 days of operation now.

No one will invest in old semi-conductor/chip tech plants with like 25nm tech when folks are on 9 or 7nm now. There will be a continued conflict with China for the foreseeable future so anything there can put a stop to any back to normal situation (seems to be getting worst).

Maybe this is a negative view, but I'm not holding my breath this gets back to normal in the forseeable future. Like projects at any job, it's never on-time, underbudget or without problems on the expected date.

Like the housing crisis/shortage which never fixed itself in 13 years and is still just as bad now, there is zero solutions there due to anti-development (understandable as it's a supply/demand issue) and resource (wood/timber/labor/contractors) issues.

My guess is that many dealers will simply go belly up (can't make $$ if you have nothing to sell) and manufacturers will adopt a more "Tesla/Rivian/Lucid" direct to consumer model and be more order online, dealerships become service/sales centers and manufacturer owned and pick up car locations. May take some legislation (no idea here).
There is already an affordable solution, vanlife!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Real question is what will you have to spend. Doesn't matter how much they give if out of pocket expense is greater. I've got a 2016 van that the dealer continuously asks for me to trade in but sorry I'm not trading. It is transportation and my bottom line is what is the economic benefit to me. Don't need a new vehicle mine is good, unless it saves me money then I'm not trading. Bolt was too good of a deal to pass up. Only thing I think about selling these days is stocks.
I very much agree. And saving about $1,000 a year in gas is just the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
587 Posts
As gas keeps going up the electric saves more. Hopefully they won't increase electric beyond it's relatively = inexpensive prices.

·
Registered
110 Posts
As gas keeps going up the electric saves more. Hopefully they won't increase electric beyond it's relatively = inexpensive prices.
With my new Charge Point L2 and my utility company (Detroit Edison) EV rate of 11 cents I know I will save $$$. Utility required a new meter just for the L2 but it was nice as the cables go directly from the meter to the L2 and don't have to go thru my electrical panel. This is the same for my air conditioner. I now have 3 meters all the newest type that they read remotely. My EV rate is from 11 pm to 9 am M-F and all day on Sat and Sun. Very easy to use since I am retired and can set up charging from about 5 am to 9 am M-F and monitor it a little. Weekends are the best.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i thought my electric coop was expensive, but then i see some of the rates others on here pay and realized maybe my coop isn’t so bad.

the regular rate here is 12 cents cents/kwh. they have a off peak ev pilot program that i am part of. i only know one other person that is utilizing it.

that rate is 8c/kwh off peak and 16 on peak. i have supplemental battery solar so am able to be off grid during peak times. 1pm to 7pm. they didn’t require a second meter so my whole service benefited from the ev prices

·
Registered
89 Posts
i thought my electric coop was expensive, but then i see some of the rates others on here pay and realized maybe my coop isn’t so bad.

the regular rate here is 12 cents cents/kwh. they have a off peak ev pilot program that i am part of. i only know one other person that is utilizing it.

that rate is 8c/kwh off peak and 16 on peak. i have supplemental battery solar so am able to be off grid during peak times. 1pm to 7pm. they didn’t require a second meter so my whole service benefited from the ev prices
That's so cheap. Here's my PG&E rates for peak, partial peak, and off peak. California energy prices are nuts compared to what some of you pay. This is my EV rate plan from them.

Smile Font Circle Number Brand

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow at .08 it is almost free. My ev rate at Detroit Edison is .11 off and .24 on peak. This is for a separate meter for EV only. The whole house meter is at .16 so I could plug into it for level 1 charging if needed. My ev rates are M-F 11pm to 9am and all weekend. The use of weekends is great and I also charge in the early morning until 9 am. Don't charge at night even though my car is outside

·
Registered
587 Posts
You can offset some of the Detroit electric rate by purchasing DTE stock. DTE has been a pretty good dividend cash cow over 50 years
Usually in their offer for the exceptional rate is that they can turn off your charger if needed.
Sadly there's all these new electric plants that have come online burning natural gas. Natural gas has gone up 400% this year.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Detroit Edison has can turn off my house air-conditioning which is on a separate meter but I did not see on the rate chart or at the meter the ability to turn off the EV circuit. They co charge a lot more if you use on peak times, .24 kw. So if I had to charge during peak rate times I will just plug in to the 120 volt circuit in my garage or the 240 volt circuit that is only 30 amps but have to move the Charge Point evse which is a pain

41 - 49 of 49 Posts