Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
FWIW, my Bolt manual (like on page 26 of https://my.gm.ca/chevrolet/en/conte...9-chevrolet-bolt-ev-owners-manual-english.pdf) has plenty of warnings about DC FCing like
"Do not attempt to disconnect the
DC vehicle plug while charging is
active. This action may damage
vehicle or charging station
hardware."
I would be absolutely gobsmacked to see language in the SAE CCS1 standard that says "it doesn't matter if charge current is flowing, the HV interlock should not prevent disconnect of the charger."

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It didn't make a dent in gas sales back in the days when gas station fires were blamed on cell phones...
Adoption of gas cars wasn't in its infancy at the time. Phones were never going to be stopped, anyway.

Since I haven't heard back from anyone, I took a close look at the FC port. There are a couple slightly ragged edges, but 90% of the contact surface was intact, just coated with a film of soot. After cleaning it today, I fast charged the Bolt at 55 kW and noticed no abnormal port heating. So it's probably okay, but it may need to be replaced eventually.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Why does DCFC require several seconds to de-energize when L2 does it nearly instantaneously?
Easy to explain. 240V at 32A going into the connector for L2, 360V at 150A going into the DFDC pins. It takes time to ramp down that current, otherwise you will get arcing. In both cases, there is a delay, it is jsut so short with L2 that it is not as noticeable.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts