Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Jalopnik today:
It makes sense, actually. Truck stops getting in on the EV charging action. Truck stops are littered all along the roads in the United States, and they’re set up for people to go and take longer breaks in.

ChargePoint and the National Association of Truck Stop Operators announced to Reuters the formation of the National Highway Charging Collaborative. Through public and private funding, the plan is to leverage $1 billion over the next 10 years to “install Level 2 and DC fast chargers at more than 4,000 U.S. locations by 2030 to expand EV charging along highways and in rural communities.”

ChargePoint doesn’t own a charging network, but rather operates over 108,000 charging points worldwide (but mostly in North America). Its goal is to increase that figure to 2.5 million by 2025. Ambitious! The company estimates it has a 70 percent share of the commercial charging market here in the U.S.

The lack of charging infrastructure is a big bottleneck on public EV adoption, so the more chargers, the better. Once they’re as plentiful as gas stations, people can let go of some of their range anxiety.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Very good news indeed, but why waste time on L2 stations at truck stops?
They are talking about the year 2030.. L2 will be a dinosaur by that time. It would be like installing a 3.5" floppy drive instead of a credit card reader at retail stores.
What! Really? L2 at a truck stop is ridiculous. I'd rather pull out my own toenails than sit in a truck stop...even for 30 minutes.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
What! Really? L2 at a truck stop is ridiculous. I'd rather pull out my own toenails than sit in a truck stop...even for 30 minutes.
Yeah, great concept, horrible plan. But the announcement did say "Level 2 and DC Fast chargers". The idea of having level 2 available as a backup isn't terrible, as long as there is sufficient DCFC capability.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
I get the reason for L2 at a DC fast charge station. But truck stops are out of Stephen King novels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some truckstops are a PITA. However having chargers at almost every interstate exit would be great.

You will know when charging hits the big time is when they will have the "blue sign" for charging highway services.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I get the reason for L2 at a DC fast charge station. But truck stops are out of Stephen King novels.
Have you stopped at one lately? We make it a point to stop at Love's on our long road trips. Clean restrooms, multiple stalls, even showers if you want one. Snacks and usually a fast food restaurant as well. Easy on/off the interstate. Pilot and Flying J aren't bad either.
I think it's a wonderful idea to have chargers at truck stops. I just hope they're DCFC.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree Other Tom; Truck stops can offer a lot of services while you wait 30-60 minutes for a DC Fast Charge. Love's and the other big chains like TA are relatively clean and safe on the highways around me. Walmarts and dark parking lots get old fast (electrify america).
Restaurants, bathrooms, showers, etc are right there already as they are designed for Truckers (mostly male truckers though).

ANyway, sounds like a great plan if implemented properly to get DCFC in more locations we need. Not sure about Chargepoint though, since they don't "own" the units they put in, they seem to take a long time to fix if they go down. Maintenance will be an issue (just like all of them though i suppose). But Sharing the costs can be a good thing as the truck stop gets the monetary benefit. I think it can work.

As for L2, there should be a few at every Hotel across America. Not sure why you want one at a truck stop, but it never hurts to have a backup as they are more reliable right now.
Chargepoint with 70% market share makes me think: "Figures dont lie, but liars can figure"

·
Registered
333 Posts
As for L2, there should be a few at every Hotel across America. Not sure why you want one at a truck stop, but it never hurts to have a backup as they are more reliable right now.
L2 should never be installed alone in any public venue. Truck stops, hotels, grocery stores, gyms, strip malls, apartment complexes, movie theatres, and restaurants would all benefit from adding medium speed DCFC to their charging menus. Medium speed DCFC offers much improved charging rates without the need to overhaul the electrical infrastructure to get it.

Consider somewhere thinking about putting in 8 7.5kW L2 EVSEs. You'd need 75 kW of electrical infrastructure and require wiring, trenching, and posts for 8 parking spaces. Replace half of those L2 with a single 25-30 kW DCFC. Someone could recharge while checking in and unloading luggage. There's still L2 for overnight or non DFC cars. Much more flexible and uses exactly the same 75 kW electrical infrastructure as the 8 L2 stations.

Chargepoint and the truck stops should have all three of ultra fast DCFC, medium speed DCFC, and L2. The latter two would get much more usage by local users, but still serve an effective purpose.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
L2 should never be installed alone in any public venue. Truck stops, hotels, grocery stores, gyms, strip malls, apartment complexes, movie theatres, and restaurants would all benefit from adding medium speed DCFC to their charging menus. Medium speed DCFC offers much improved charging rates without the need to overhaul the electrical infrastructure to get it.

ga2500ev
Simply ridiculous!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Simply ridiculous!
OK. Why? I've explained both the charging speed and cost benefits. I've also explained that this type of station would be for local EVers.

So instead of just calling it ridiculous, please explain why you have an issue with the premise.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OK. Why? I've explained both the charging speed and cost benefits. I've also explained that this type of station would be for local EVers.

So instead of just calling it ridiculous, please explain why you have an issue with the premise.

ga2500ev
It's obvious to me. When you post something like,"L2 should never be installed alone in any public venue. Truck stops, hotels, grocery stores, gyms, strip malls, apartment complexes, movie theatres, and restaurants would all benefit from adding medium speed DCFC to their charging menus". Simply ridiculous,again. L2 chargers in all the locations would be great, even w/o medium speed DCFC. Simple to understand. Of course DCFC would be better but that isn't the case. L2 in all those places would be a boon. Finished responding to you here.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Looking forward to it but not holding my breath. I've Heard so many announcements from Charge point over several years yet seem to result in very few chargers. I guess 3 chargers (2 L2 and 1 of the 25Kw DCFC's in 3 years is progress for a city of 250k??).

·
Registered
592 Posts
Back in the "bad old days" - IE a year before EA - I actually spent about 20 hours in the Cisco TX L2 to make the trips to Dallas TX! If Charge point really takes til 2030 it will be interesting to see how much farther EA and Tesla have progressed by then.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's obvious to me. When you post something like,"L2 should never be installed alone in any public venue. Truck stops, hotels, grocery stores, gyms, strip malls, apartment complexes, movie theatres, and restaurants would all benefit from adding medium speed DCFC to their charging menus". Simply ridiculous,again. L2 chargers in all the locations would be great, even w/o medium speed DCFC. Simple to understand. Of course DCFC would be better but that isn't the case. L2 in all those places would be a boon. Finished responding to you here.
L2 in those spots are not a boon. They are a decoration because people generally simply do not spend hours upon hours in those places necessary to get an effective charge. Davioh's 20 hour L2 story above is an example of ridiculous usage of L2 in the public charging space.

EV advocates are so focused on charging access that they are blinded to charging utility. If I stop at the grocery, hop on an L2, and shop for 45 minutes, then at best I can recover 20 miles of recharge or so. While that's fine if I really didn't need to charge, it's devestating if I really need a significant charge to actually get somewhere.

L2 only offers two options: get a small amount of energy in a short amount of time, or wait a long amount of time to get a decent amount of energy. When charging at home, we take the latter and no worries because we're going to be home anyway. But that simply doesn't work when someone is out in public.

Unlike many of you here, I actually own and drive daily an L2 only EV with short range. An EV where a public L2 recharge is a required event, not just a convenient opportunity. The lack of flexibility is tragic. And on EV forums far and wide, folks keep calling for the installation of more useless public L2 EVSEs.

The very first question asked should be "How long is the user going to be at the location doing the activity they can to the location to do?". Not "How much does it cost to install?" which seems to be the primary driver. If it's less than 1 hour, then L2 isn't the right fit. And therefore L2 alone should not be installed at that location.

And BTW you calling it ridiculous doesn't make it so.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've noticed that public L2 charging is often located where it makes the least sense. Of course there is some justification at any business for employee use. I want to see L2s at highway DCFC locations as a backup. Please get me to the next DCFC when the one here isn't available.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've noticed that public L2 charging is often located where it makes the least sense. Of course there is some justification at any business for employee use. I want to see L2s at highway DCFC locations as a backup. Please get me to the next DCFC when the one here isn't available.
I continue to point out that even there the backup should be lower speed DCFC. It really can be installed anywhere L2 can and can offer charging speeds 4-8 times faster than L2 depending on the top charging rate.

There are only about 4 or 5 places where L2 is actually appropriate: home, work, airports, amusement parks, park and rides, and some apartment complex parking spots. But in virtually every other spot, and even in the above places, medium speed DCFC can complement public charging better than L2.

ga2500ev

1 - 20 of 67 Posts