Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Here in Vancouver the smart travelers just hop on the Skytrain. I confess to being a bit baffled why folks here would want to drive their cars to the airport and pay to leave them there...
I'm baffled too. I can't understand why folks don't use that option when available. Many big cities have it but yet..............Lester B Pearson is 1 of them!

·
Registered
577 Posts
When people road tripping with EVs get to be a large fraction of a hotel's potential customers, hotels that don't offer reliable access to charging will find it difficult to rent rooms and will be forced to upgrade their electrical service to remain competitive. They may not all need to be 6 kW though - anyone who is staying in town for a while and not heading back out on the highway early the next morning would probably be fine with 3 kW. 3 kW could be included in the room rate and 6 or 7.2 kW could be offered as a $10/night upgrade.
I hope this happens, but I don't think it will pan out like that. Adding a handful of chargers near the building is relatively easy. Adding an L2 or even a 120V outlet to every parking spot is a major overhaul for existing hotels.

I would gladly pay a $10/night fee for guaranteed charging. Sure beats the time and money otherwise spent at a nearby quick charger.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I hope this happens, but I don't think it will pan out like that. Adding a handful of chargers near the building is relatively easy. Adding an L2 or even a 120V outlet to every parking spot is a major overhaul for existing hotels.

I would gladly pay a $10/night fee for guaranteed charging. Sure beats the time and money otherwise spent at a nearby quick charger.
Shhhhhh, don't tell the hotel industry that. They will surely take you up on it! 🤑

·
Registered
577 Posts
Shhhhhh, don't tell the hotel industry that. They will surely take you up on it! 🤑
First of all, it wasn't my idea, it was from Titanium48. Secondly, I would love it if they did! I'm talking about an added option. If you don't need/want to charge, you don't pay. If you do pay, then you are guaranteed a charge overnight.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Am I the only one who wonders just what the deal is with everyone wanting to charge at an airport? Isn't the typical use pattern: drive from home to airport / leave car parked at airport while away / drive back home again? Are people's homes really so far from the airport that they need an enroute charge to make the round trip? What's wrong with just parking the car and letting it sit for however long you're gone?
Not so much in the Bolt, but anything shorter range and I would have to charge at the airport... nearest airport is 110 miles round trip for me... couldn't do that in anything shorter range than the 40 kWh leaf. Many people are further away from airports.

Keith

·
Registered
902 Posts
I guess urban sprawl must be a lot worse in the US that it is here in Canada...
Nope. Not urban sprawl. It is called "rural". You live in the largest country in North America... does everyone there live in cities?

Country folk in the US don't think that there are giant shinny birds in our skies... we know that they are airplanes and we even ride in them upon occasion :) On those occasions we need to drive (sometimes 2 or more hours) to get to an airport.

This is also the reason the "just rent a car for long trips" is a silly thing to say to country folk. The only place to rent a car for many of us is.... the Airport! Drive multiple hours and pay for long term parking for our EV in order to pay for a rental car... may as well just fly at that point... in which case we need charging at the airport :D

Keith

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have you stopped at one lately? We make it a point to stop at Love's on our long road trips. Clean restrooms, multiple stalls, even showers if you want one. Snacks and usually a fast food restaurant as well. Easy on/off the interstate. Pilot and Flying J aren't bad either.
I think it's a wonderful idea to have chargers at truck stops. I just hope they're DCFC.
Any time I drive back to NJ to visit my parents, I almost always stop at the Pilot at I-81 Exit 219 for a bathroom/energy drink break. (Before PA jacked up gas taxes to match NYS, I'd stop for gas there too!). I also usually wind up taking a quick break at the Gouldsboro truck stop halfway between Scranton and I-80.

Both of these are really nice places with clean well kept convenience stores and in both cases a McDonalds.

Now if there's anything that's sketchy - it's the state rest areas in PA. Many NYS ones aren't so hot either. (The NY welcome center at the border is a special exception... That's REALLY nice and in fact is the closest DCFC to where I live.)

61 - 67 of 67 Posts