1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
99 Posts
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-...for-most-electric-car-sales-in-2017-1.3811446

I wish some mention would have been made about the lack of vehicles to purchase. How many more vehicles would have been sold if they were available on the lots? I'm still waiting for my 2018. The dealership can't even give me a build date yet and I've had a deposit down since July 2017. They say I'm 4th on the list.
Call your dealer and ask for your order number.
July 2017 is too long ago, you should have had a build date by now.
I placed my deposit back in September 2017 and my salesman provided me with a build date just this month (for this month).
Once you have an order number you can track your car’s progress by contacting GM directly.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
IMO the provinces of BC, ON, PQ all failed to understand the dynamics of the industry. Which is at least total North America based. Soon heading to global based.

As a result the Bolt EV is way over-incented. Taxpayers money was/is wasted. ( I pay taxes, but I also reaped the benefit of the rebate waste bigtime:eek: ). A gov’t incentive predicated on an unlimited supply of EV’s is crazy.

Provinces failed to recognize that Canada is historically a “dumping” market. Due mainly to $CAD exchange rate risk. If there’s excess capacity Canada will get more vehicles. But there’s no excess capacity in any BEV at the present time. That is, any BEV that’s a decent buying proposition.

Don’t know about Tesla’s allocation strategy by country. But for sure, Bolt EV has been way over-incentivized by the provinces involved. Resulting in a scramble for the relatively low number of vehicles that GM decides to send here.

Face it, in Ontario the Bolt EV is a tremendous bargain after the gov’t incentive. In addition to the tree-hugger aspects of it, it’s a wonderfully engineered hot hatch with luxo features & cheap to operate. Better value than any comparable sized ICE vehicle. If you’re looking for a small size CUV wagonish vehicle, it’s like a gift from heaven.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Wasn't aware that Canada was a “dumping” market, which is unfortunate with so many incentives flying around. I though automakers would take advantage of that and ship more vehicles to the Provinces to take advantage of higher sales volume while the incentives are still being offered.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Wasn't aware that Canada was a “dumping” market, which is unfortunate with so many incentives flying around. I though automakers would take advantage of that and ship more vehicles to the Provinces to take advantage of higher sales volume while the incentives are still being offered.
At the present time most manufacturers are selling from their Cdn subsidiaries to Canadian dealers in Canadian dollars at around 113% to 117% of the U.S. dollar dealer price in the USA.

Meanwhile the Canadian dollar stays below that most of the time, sometimes way below. Today the $CAD is bouncing around $1 USD = $1.265. So the real price in Canada is less than the same vehicle in the USA.

"dumping" may be too crude a term because it invokes thoughts of harming a foreign country's company or that foreign country's industry by selling your product into it at a price less than you sell it at home.

Since all players in the industry do basically the same thing there's no evidence of harm done. Nonetheless there's generally less revenue and profit to be had in Canada. Competition tends to be more intense here as well, since the market stratifies more like Europe than the USA, at least for cars and small SUV's, when it comes to vehicle size and style preferences.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.