Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was sitting at the stop light minding my own business, when a guy bumped my car from behind. Getting out and exchanging information, I took photos of the very minor damage to the bumper. No one was hurt and didn't call for the cops (big mistake). I assumed this person would do the right thing and admit liability, he hasn't YET. I opened a claim with his insurance and they are trying to contact him to admit he hit my car. Anyway, so much for not calling the cops, so it looks like I might have to foot the bill to have the bumper damage repaired. Don't really want to turn it in to my insurance, but just might have to if this guy doesn't do the right thing.

When he hit my car, he had a steel front license plate that was sticking out on the top, hence the damage to the rubber part of the bumper.

I'm wondering, is there a way to fix this without going to a body shop? Since it's rubber, any options.

I believe I'll ultimately end up getting an estimate at the body shop, but just wonder if there might be another way.

PS: Lesson of the week.....no matter the damage in an accident, don't assume people will do the right thing. Always call the cops.

Thank you.

Attachments

· Registered
14 Posts
Honestly, if it was me, I'd just live with it. I might put in some epoxy (or similar) to fill the hole, but filing a claim with insurance tends to make one's premium go up, and some insurance companies will drop you after multiple claims.

I know it sucks when cars get dinged up, but I figure that's just part of living life on the road. Just my two cents. Good luck.

· Registered
2017 Bolt LT
1,154 Posts
I am not sure for a minor fender bender like that the police would have even responded. Probably depends on the department you're dealing with. Best of luck to you and I hope it turns out well!
Police usually don't respond to non-injury collisions any more. Fender-bender like that, exchange info, then file a counter report with the police. If you do go to your insurance, they can file the necessary DMV report for you. As another noted, beware of hidden damage. And if the plastic cover has to be replaced your car may be totaled.

· Registered
160 Posts
It all depends on the jurisdiction where the crash occurs.
Yeah, you'd need to check the inner bumper. But... If you ask some mechanics to do so, it'll cost you a fortune anyway. You could do it yourself, if you have the means to do so. It really depends on how you feel of this occurrence.
I got rear-ended several years ago. The bumper got shifted probably 1mm. I ignored it. Then it got another rear -ended. This time was a biggy. So the other insurance company fixed everything then.

· Registered
40 Posts
Police usually don't respond to non-injury collisions any more. Fender-bender like that, exchange info, then file a counter report with the police. If you do go to your insurance, they can file the necessary DMV report for you. As another noted, beware of hidden damage. And if the plastic cover has to be replaced your car may be totaled.
True. Recently, my friend had an accident on the way back after a soccer game, a good one from sudden lane changing, not a fender bender but no injury. Cops refused to come. He didn’t take pictures and now ends up in legal mess because no party admit they are at fault.

· Registered
2017 Bolt LT
1,154 Posts
It all depends on the jurisdiction where the crash occurs.
Yeah, you'd need to check the inner bumper. But... If you ask some mechanics to do so, it'll cost you a fortune anyway. You could do it yourself, if you have the means to do so. It really depends on how you feel of this occurrence.
I got rear-ended several years ago. The bumper got shifted probably 1mm. I ignored it. Then it got another rear -ended. This time was a biggy. So the other insurance company fixed everything then.
Ha! I had that happen to the Struggle Bunny (diesel Rabbit) back in the 5mph bumper days. The bumpers were just big aluminum bars mounted on gas shocks away from the car body. Somebody tapped me in the rear leaving the bumper pushed in on one side, since the shock stuck and didn't pop back out. Just about the time I was ready to take it to VW for a new shock, somebody else hit it in the rear, and that popped the stuck shock back out again. Should I have paid them something?

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier | Supercruise| Mosisc Black
8 Posts
I don't want to belittle minor accidents because anytime someone damages your property when you've done nothing wrong just plain sucks.

But I will say in cases where someone has caused minor damage to my car, I prefer not to call the police. In my state, a police report will almost always trigger an accident blemish on the vehicle's history report. The hit in value that an accident report has on a vehicle is typically more than that of small dings.

Geico is good with sorting out things with no police report.

· Registered
48 Posts
So, I was sitting at the stop light minding my own business, when a guy bumped my car from behind. Getting out and exchanging information, I took photos of the very minor damage to the bumper. No one was hurt and didn't call for the cops (big mistake). I assumed this person would do the right thing and admit liability, he hasn't YET. I opened a claim with his insurance and they are trying to contact him to admit he hit my car. Anyway, so much for not calling the cops, so it looks like I might have to foot the bill to have the bumper damage repaired. Don't really want to turn it in to my insurance, but just might have to if this guy doesn't do the right thing.

When he hit my car, he had a steel front license plate that was sticking out on the top, hence the damage to the rubber part of the bumper.

I'm wondering, is there a way to fix this without going to a body shop? Since it's rubber, any options.

I believe I'll ultimately end up getting an estimate at the body shop, but just wonder if there might be another way.

PS: Lesson of the week.....no matter the damage in an accident, don't assume people will do the right thing. Always call the cops.

Thank you.
Do you have collision with your insurance. Guessing you do since you’re driving a new EUV. If so, call your insurance company, open a claim and they will work with the other guy’s insurance company. It’s a slam dunk his fault deal, he hit you from behind. If he doesn’t work with his insurance company, provide a statement (basically like a deposition), then his insurance company will foot the bill.

If you don’t have collision, then you work directly with the claims adjuster of his insurance company (as opposed to the convenience of your company handling this for you). Same as above, if he doesn’t cooperate they will take care of your bill after sending an adjuster out to inspect the damage, provide an estimate, etc.

Stay on this and you will get the resolution you are looking for. You got this.

· Registered
2021 Nightfall Gray Metallic Bolt Premier
1,225 Posts
In Georgia they do. And the insurance companies almost insist you have one. In Georgia.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts