Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I am pretty bored talking about flaming Teslas, the Bolt's phone connectivity. I thought I would drop in a few non-car transportation happenings.

First off, one of the stars of electric assist bikes, and his fiancee are off on a true adventure some may be interested in following.

The second adventure is the Trans America Bicycle race. It is like the RAAM, but without any support allowed, and a thousand miles longer! Just like RAAM, recumbents are allowed, but have been completely ignored, despite placing well. Athletes typically think of them as cheating, since they are not the standard equipment.

http://trackleaders.com/transam18

This year the TABR was won by Swiss rider Marcel Graber riding a 38 pound velomobile. He was so far ahead of the pack, he spent the night in Charlottesville. He still finished 20 hours ahead of second place. As usual, his amazing accomplishment is being completely ignored. I chased him down in the Bolt, and cheered him on. By the time I found the camera button on my new smart phone, he was gone. :) But this guy got some video.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nice. Long time bicycle enthusiast. Late 2016 I converted my old Lynskey titanium cross bike into a parallel human/electric hybrid and have put on about 4500 miles. 3000 miles was commuting ~29 miles/day to work last year. The electric assist helps on those bad wind days, or the early mornings when my body is a little tired/stiff/sore. And the ability to travel at ~30 mph with the combination of human/electric power is also a nice bonus :)

Also got my wife an ebike, but she prefers a much more relaxed riding position. And I modified hers to bypass the 20mph cutoff so she can get into town and back a bit faster, and she makes trips into town frequently. She's cut her driving miles about in half with that ebike.

Anyone else got an ebike?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Nice. Long time bicycle enthusiast. Late 2016 I converted my old Lynskey titanium cross bike into a parallel human/electric hybrid and have put on about 4500 miles. 3000 miles was commuting ~29 miles/day to work last year. The electric assist helps on those bad wind days, or the early mornings when my body is a little tired/stiff/sore. And the ability to travel at ~30 mph with the combination of human/electric power is also a nice bonus :)

Also got my wife an ebike, but she prefers a much more relaxed riding position. And I modified hers to bypass the 20mph cutoff so she can get into town and back a bit faster, and she makes trips into town frequently. She's cut her driving miles about in half with that ebike.

Anyone else got an ebike?

Yup. Picked up a couple Genze's at Costco for $1.3k per. They were $1.6k elsewhere, at the time. I was looking at $3k+ ebikes for over a year, and when these came up, I pounced. Cheap(er) entry into the world of ebikes with little compromise. I like that they are relatively light at 52 lbs. Dual-mode, and use crank pressure for pedal-assist mode, which forces the rider to work. They're a decent seven-speed bike, even without the "e", which was a requirement for me. Some ebikes are so heavy (and ungainly) that riding without the assist makes them practically unusable. I like a relatively light bike that I can throw around when riding. I've gone many thousands of miles on regular bikes over the years. Mostly commuting to work or school and just for fun/exercise. I'm retired now, and the assist is a welcome addition to these old bones. It also helps to live near the coast in So. CA.

I no longer need to monitor wind direction to decide which way to go on my fifteen mile (used to be twelve) exercise loop down the coast. Allows me to relax, go relatively slow (with ease), and enjoy the view on the beach bike trail without planning so the wind is at my back. 40 mile range, the way I ride it. I could see no problem getting the claimed 50 miles range on flat ground with no wind.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup. Yesterday it hit the low 90's and humid. I rode 73 miles up and back to Montpelier for lunch. The asphalt in the parking lot was baking, so I parked on the grass under a tree. Try that with your Bolt.

My big cargo bike has cruise control and regen braking. If I am getting a little sweaty, I just bump the assist up a mile or two per hour, and the extra breeze acts like AC.

20.9 mph av, 37.2 mph max, 3:29.30, 1387.6 Wh, 18.6 Wh/mi. 16,633 miles, so far, since March 2016

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Late 2016 I converted my old Lynskey titanium cross bike into a parallel human/electric hybrid and have put on about 4500 miles....Anyone else got an ebike?
Those Bafang mid-drives are great. You can really beat OEM prices, if you have a bit of DIY aptitude.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't envy Dave Lewis, of Florida. He is in fourth place riding the other velomobile in the race. He is going through Charlottesville right now in afternoon commuter traffic. It is in the high 90's and humid. He will soon be going out Rt 20 and up Monticello Mountain. The road is steep, windy, narrow, with no shoulder, and deep ditches immediately off the pavement. If he survives the rubbernecking tourists in RV's, and the angry commuters, who typically scream at cyclists on that stretch, he will be lucky.

http://trackleaders.com/transam18i.php?name=Dave_Lewis

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Yup. Yesterday it hit the low 90's and humid. I rode 73 miles up and back to Montpelier for lunch. The asphalt in the parking lot was baking, so I parked on the grass under a tree. Try that with your Bolt.

My big cargo bike has cruise control and regen braking. If I am getting a little sweaty, I just bump the assist up a mile or two per hour, and the extra breeze acts like AC.

20.9 mph av, 37.2 mph max, 3:29.30, 1387.6 Wh, 18.6 Wh/mi. 16,633 miles, so far, since March 2016

Sounds like a beast!

Mine tops out at 20mi/hr, when in "Sport" mode, which I rarely use. I like to cruise at about 15mi/hr on the streets with some assist (mostly at stops, to get back up to speed), and ~8mi/hr with little assist on the beach trail. That's about as fast as one wants to go, with all the unpredictable tourist pedestrians. (Doesn't anybody look before changing direction any more?) It's about leisure and keeping the heart rate at about 165beats/min for me.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's about leisure and keeping the heart rate at about 165 beats/min for me.
Yup. That describes my life. Biking, running, hiking are living. Everything else is just waiting to die. My wife says I get to say, "I'd rather be on my bike." one time whenever we are in the car. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Cyclist for 67 years. I discovered e-bikes when I wanted to commute by bicycle 25 miles a day AND haul work stuff from site to site in the hills of San Francisco. I ended up building SUBTAD: The Sport Utility Bike That Ate Detroit. At one point it had enough LiPo batteries to give me a 60 mile range. Geared low, it could haul 400 lbs. up a 30 degree incline. Slowly.

http://www.evalbum.com/676.html

Now that I'm retired, I don't need the long-haul capability and am in the process of selling the e-bike along with a tandem and a nice touring road bike and putting the sales cash into another sweet e-bike, the Specialized Turbo Vado. It looks really well thought out. At $3.3K, it's not exactly a bargain, but priced fair for what else is on the market.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-familypage

·
Registered
192 Posts
Those Bafang mid-drives are great. You can really beat OEM prices, if you have a bit of DIY aptitude.

Ah, you noticed the mid drive, you must be an ebike aficionado :)

It has exceeded my expectations. Very durable and has handled long and high power output commutes form 30F (too friggen cold with the windchill at 30mph for the human) to 100F (too friggen hot for the human). I do put a fan on it after the hot afternoon rides to help it dissipate the heat when I put it away in the garage to help it cool down... and I can charge my big arse lithium battery for free at work (I haven't looked to see if that's against "policy") after arriving in the morning, unlike when I drive my Bolt to work.

The "law" in my state is that an ebike is considered a "bike" if it generates no more than 750W and can not go faster than 20mph "on its own power". The Bafang is setup so it only applies power if the rider is pedaling, so it goes 0 mph by itself. But when pedaling I can max out at 37mph on flat pavement (I don't do that when other people or bikers are around so as not be a douche) before I run out of gears and rpm. But my battery capacity is draining pretty rapidly then, just like my glycogen stores in my leg muscles :)

I like the mid drive and low battery position due to lowering the center of gravity and increasing stability. In the Fall it's completely dark in the mornings when I leave for work at ~5:45am and have hit many a small animal on the ~10 mile section of trail I ride before getting into the city streets, even "bumping" a full sized racoon off the front tire, without going down. Hitting the racoon at 30mph last Fall was a very exciting moment... but the ebike has proven to be much more stable when hitting wildlife than the non-ebikes I've ridden on this route over the last 20 years. I've also had a few close calls with deer over this time span on mornings with dense fog ... once I physically touched ones rear haunches as I passed by ... that wasn't a good thing.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ah, you noticed the mid drive, you must be an ebike aficionado :)
... once I physically touched ones rear haunches as I passed by ... that wasn't a good thing.
Aficionado sounds better than obsessive. :)

I hit a dog twice...the same dog. The first time I didn't go down. The second time I broke my scapula, and clavicle. That was on my Giant TCR. I was covered in road rash, and busted up. The bike got a scrape on top of each brake hood...nothing else. I have come close to hitting copperheads (Had a baby one, 8" long, startle, and snap almost straight up on the end of its tail a foot from the bike.), turtles, groundhogs, vultures, deer. I have seen bears, and foxes...thankfully not too close up. Had a deer jump off a bank across my path, and land on the pavement, only to have her front hooves slide out from under her and do a face plant. She got up and bounded away, but it looked really painful.

Being out in the world on a bike really makes you feel alive every minute. The only times I have ever felt that way in a car was as a kid, driving like as dangerous A-hole.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Being out in the world on a bike really makes you feel alive every minute.
I always remember the part of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" where the author describes riding a bike as being "in the world" as compared to driving in a car and watching it "on a screen".

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I always remember the part of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" where the author describes riding a bike as being "in the world" as compared to driving in a car and watching it "on a screen".
Exactly. And many of us now experience our entire lives inside, looking at a screen, or out a window. No wonder many people think we are separate from nature.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have some DIY 00's bikes, was learning on ES back then. Road across the city on SLA and later lipo. I had one hauler bike too, wheelbase makes for a nice ride.

If getting bought out by Porsche is losing ones way, I wish I lost mine..

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have some DIY 00's bikes, was learning on ES back then. Road across the city on SLA and later lipo. I had one hauler bike too, wheelbase makes for a nice ride.
Cool. Yes, longer wheelbase is great. My electric assist bikes are 67", and 74" wheelbase. Ride like Honda Goldwings. When I get back on a typical one meter wheelbase upright, it feels like riding on a step ladder for the first half hour.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cyclist for 67 years. I discovered e-bikes when I wanted to commute by bicycle 25 miles a day AND haul work stuff from site to site in the hills of San Francisco. I ended up building SUBTAD: The Sport Utility Bike That Ate Detroit. At one point it had enough LiPo batteries to give me a 60 mile range. Geared low, it could haul 400 lbs. up a 30 degree incline. Slowly.

http://www.evalbum.com/676.html

Now that I'm retired, I don't need the long-haul capability and am in the process of selling the e-bike along with a tandem and a nice touring road bike and putting the sales cash into another sweet e-bike, the Specialized Turbo Vado. It looks really well thought out. At $3.3K, it's not exactly a bargain, but priced fair for what else is on the market.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-familypage
Dang Bill! Your bike was one of those I looked at back when I was thinking about electric assist. Pre-lithium...you were a pioneer. Those new OEM mid-drives are really nice, but they lock you into expensive OEM parts too.

http://www.evalbum.com/5173

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I caught up with Dave Lewis, the other velomobile rider in the Trans Am Bike Race, riding in the rain. I took a few pictures, but I have maxed out my pix quota on this site. He finished fourth, in the wee hours of this morning.

Here is a real time map link for the Race the Sun event.

http://race.thesuntrip.com/en/#map

Justin, and his fiancee, are taking the southern route and have covered 275 miles so far.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts