Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Back when I still thought we might decide to save ourselves, Mike Burrows was one of my heroes.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
COVID-19 seems to permeate everything now. I was just reading an article about treating critically ill patients.

Lying stomach-down—also known as prone positioning—improves the lungs’ ability to get oxygen into the blood. The heart sits in the front of the chest, so flipping someone onto their stomach takes the weight of the heart off of the lungs. The back of the lungs also have better blood flow and more gas-exchange chambers than the front, which means that when someone’s lying stomach-down, these chambers are less compressed and work more effectively.

“You want blood flow and gas exchange to line up nicely, and putting someone in the prone position maximizes that effect,” says Kevin McGurk, a chief emergency medicine resident at Cook County Health in Chicago, Illinois.

This reminded me of old research on riding position, and power production efficiency.

Anyway, I found the best way to minimize the negatives, while maximizing the positives of recumbent bikes, over nine years ago....electric assist. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
“For the average American household, going fully electric (rooftop power, heat pump, battery, EV) requires about $40,000.” I’d love to know how to do all that for 40k... I got a great price on my bolt and that still only leaves 16k left over which won’t even cover rooftop PV the last time I checked... ;-(

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
“For the average American household, going fully electric (rooftop power, heat pump, battery, EV) requires about $40,000.” I’d love to know how to do all that for 40k... I got a great price on my bolt and that still only leaves 16k left over which won’t even cover rooftop PV the last time I checked... ;-(

I assume they are talking about the difference in cost to current typical household.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Tig Cross has a nice video of a recent 130 mile ride on his electric assist, recumbent cargo bike. His ride was mostly in a busy divided highway. I have done a few rides on such roads, and they are noisy and smelly...not very pleasant in the Bolt, and even less so on a bike. The most pleasant part was surely the ferry ride.

He averaged 23.7 mph, 21.6 Wh/mile, arriving with about 17% SOC.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
NPR expose on plastic recycling

·
Registered
333 Posts
NPR expose on plastic recycling

Our house has know that for decades, but we still went through the motions...only glass and metal are continually recyclable with little loss. Plastic can only be recycled two or three times before losing it's molecular integrity, the long chain molecules start breaking down.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Our house has know that for decades, but we still went through the motions...only glass and metal are continually recyclable with little loss. Plastic can only be recycled two or three times before losing it's molecular integrity, the long chain molecules start breaking down.
Same here. And it only takes one brown beer bottle to turn a bin full of clear glass into "mixed" glass, which is much less valuable.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Well, we will be able to make polyethylene even if we run out of oil. lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Aficionado sounds better than obsessive. :)

I hit a dog twice...the same dog. The first time I didn't go down. The second time I broke my scapula, and clavicle. That was on my Giant TCR. I was covered in road rash, and busted up. The bike got a scrape on top of each brake hood...nothing else. - A true cyclist uses his body to protect the bike 😉👍

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Fascinating predictions about the future of the internet, by one of my favorite history, and culture, commentators, from 200!?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey GJetson, I just finished putting a 1,500 watt rear wheel on an old Bike E. The added weight of the battery helps keep the front wheel from sliding out. It scoots but I don't know for how long as I have not tested the range yet. This seemed to be a good use for the Bike E in that it is easy to ride but is not very efficient and is hard to ride for longer distances. The electric drive and controller are made by Leaf Bike and I am not sure about the battery as I purchased it from a friend. Ideally, I can figure out how relocate the controller to the inside of the frame and also put together a 52-volt series of batteries that I can also put into the frame. The Bike E was completely disassembled and the steel parts powder coated dark gray before reassembly.

Electric Bike E.jpg

·
Registered
333 Posts
I used to race streetluge, I always thought a little electric motor on the rear could take me back up the hill. Usually a truck takes us back up.
(Not me in the pic, that's Peter Eliot.)

61 - 80 of 88 Posts